Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default mayorga impressive in vegas workout

www.boxinginsider.com

Mayorga Impressive in Vegas Workout
    By Scoop Malinowski

For those who consider WBC Super Welterweight champ Ricardo Mayorga to be a mere second banana stepping-stone in the Farewell Tour of Oscar De La Hoya which sets off on May 6th, consider these words from a very respected veteran boxing insider who witnessed El Matador's workout in Las Vegas today.

"I have never seen anyone hit the heavy bag like that before in my life," said the veteran ring watcher who has been associated with the elite fighters since the 1960's. "He was actually fighting the heavybag with violence and emotions, he was that focused on destroying the bag. He would walk in and attack the bag like it was actually Oscar De La Hoya. He has that focus and fury now over a week from the fight. I can't imagine anyone standing up to that kind of intensity, that kind of brutality. I have never seen anyone hit the bag like that in my entire life."

From what this man says and the tone of awe he had in saying it, was quite persuasive. Because we know how absolutely unstoppable a force Mayorga can be when he's 110% committed to a fight - such as the first Forrest fight.

The Vegas resident who has seen them all added, "I'm definitely going to bet on Mayorga now."

We know that in sports, emotional adrenaline can sometimes lift the inferior competitor above the superior. There have been several examples, including Oliver McCall vs. Lennox Lewis, Buster Douglas vs. Mike Tyson and Mayorga vs. Forrest I.

However the interesting factor here is that De La Hoya is emotionally motivated for this fight also, as he was extremely bothered by Mayorga's press conference insults. But then again, when you consider the intensity level of Mayorga's emotions at the press conferences, perhaps we can't even begin to empathize just how much this fight means to Mayorga personally and not at all businesswise.

It's Mayorga, the poor Third World underprivileged and unvivilized wild man against what he perceives to be the silver spoon, rich kid, Madison Ave, pretty boy movie star Millionaire who probably couldn't last one week in hardcore Nicaragua, let alone 34 years.

Oh, this is going to be a good one. I can just feel it already.

The boxing world has been waiting a long time to see a Hagler-Hearns type of fight in the welterweight to middleweight weight range. And we've been waiting a long time to see Oscar in an all-time classic, such as the Ike Quartey war.

All the warning signals are there that May 6th "Danger Zone" might be an unforgettable night in boxing history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: mayorga impressive in vegas workout

excellent news!!

I would be more than happy to call this fight wrong if it means I gets a war!!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

me too, mayorga swinging like a man possessed could give us all a fight well worth watching....especially for the first 6 rounds.....could be very exciting....

oscar has been away an awfully long time and he isnt getting any younger....its gonna make very interesting viewing seeing what mayorga can bring against a rusty delahoya...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, well you ought to see my drunk friend punch a bag. It looks quite impressive when nobody is swinging back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Teddy Atlas says it best "Oscar better be stepping in there with the passion he used to have, and he needs a bigger driving force then being mad at a guy because he called you a few names.. he needs that driving force, and if his only force is Mayorga calling him names, then he's in trouble."

And I agree, what is really driving Oscar that is just as strong as what is driving Mayorga?

Thread Information