Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Question about begining boxing.

I am 16 years old, and have been interested in boxing for a very long time. I have recently been getting in shape and i would really like to start boxing later on this year. My first question is, is starting at 16 too old? Most people i have talked to say most boxers start around age 8-10...but then again, most people don't know jack. My second question is, if i did begin lessons, about how long is the average time it takes for you to begin sparring? Thanks in advance to anyone who reads and answers my questions.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Question about begining boxing.

Ray Leonard started at 16 dont worry about age.Sparring varys from gym to gym
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lvilleslugger
    I am 16 years old, and have been interested in boxing for a very long time. I have recently been getting in shape and i would really like to start boxing later on this year. My first question is, is starting at 16 too old? Most people i have talked to say most boxers start around age 8-10...but then again, most people don't know jack. My second question is, if i did begin lessons, about how long is the average time it takes for you to begin sparring? Thanks in advance to anyone who reads and answers my questions.
    dont worry about age, At the end of the day you should enjoy yourself in boxing and love it whatever level you achieve , from pro to ameteur, to just sparring every week , so worrying about starting late so you dont become a pro or something should not be a factor

I started at 19 btw, and so did Audley Harrison.

About sparring, As scrap says, it varys from gym to gym, but for me it was I think about 1.5 months of just going once a week till i had a proper spar (and being the idiot i am , i went without a gum sheild and chipped a tooth, dont make that mistake! ) , but i have seen in a different class i go to , people go in after 2-3 weeks (if they are good).
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know of some that dont start til they are in their late 20's. May not turn pro or anything like that but its never to late to do anything no matter how old you are as long as you got the heart.

About the sparring, it really varys, it all depends on your skill and how natural it comes to you. Just go see and ask your trainer about it and he will be wise enough to give you some kind of estimate. Have fun.

Thread Information