Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default getting to know ricardo mayorga

www.boxinginsider.com

The Biofile Ricardo Mayorga
    By Scoop Malinowski

Status: WBC Super Welterweight Champion will battle Oscar De La Hoya on May 6th on HBO PPV in what many expect to be the most dramatic fight of the year.

Ht: 5-10 Wt: 154
    Born On: October 3, 1973 In: Managua, Nicaragua

Childhood Heroes: "My mother and father because they worked so hard to raise our family."

Hobbies/Interests: "I like speed. I like everything fast, especially cars. I enjoy drag racing."

Favorite Meal: "I love chicken, made any way...fricasee, fried, smothered, grilled, barbecued or roasted."

Favorite Ice Cream: "I love good vanilla ice cream."

Favorite Movies: "I like many kinds of movies, mostly action movies. I like Sylvester Stallone, he played a lot of good roles like Rocky and Rambo."

Musical Tastes: "I love Salsa music. I really liked Celia Cruz, who passed away. She was great."

Childhood Dreams: "To be able to help get my family a better life. Life was so hard here in Nicaragua. I'm helping my small town get electricity. So that is part of my dream - to help people."

First Job: "Selling bread in our family bakery. It was hard work in the bakery and long hours, but we did it to survive."

First Car: "Was a broken down old Chevy. I would keep tinkering with it, just to keep it on the road."

Early Boxing Memory: "Watching Roberto Duran, Muhammad Ali and a little later - Sugar Ray Leonard. Of course, we all looked up to our countryman Alexis Arguello.

Pre-Fight Feeling: "I just think positive. I'm a very confident person. I can't see how anyone can stand up to what intensity I bring to the ring with me."

Pre-Fight Meal: "I might have some chicken with rice and maybe steamed vegetable. But not something difficult to digest like corn and not fried chicken. I drink plenty of water though. (Do you really smoke that much?) Yes, I smoke a lot, but I also run a lot, box a lot and train a lot. If you noticed in the second Forrest fight - I was almost as strong as I was in round one."

Greatest Sports Moment: "Was the night I met Don King in Venezuela at the 'KO Drug Games,' sponsored by the WBA. I was fighting an undefeated Venezuelan fighter (15-0 Adolfo Salazar in Turmero, VZ in December 2000). It was a fight I took at the last moment. I knocked him out in the first round for the FEDELATIN title. And Don King was there and was impressed enough to sign me that night. I had one fight with DKP (TKO 3 Elias Cruz in Las Vegas, Feb. 2001) and then was in for the world title with Andrew Lewis (five months later in June 2001). Another great moment was having both of my parents there to watch me win the unified world championship by knocking out Vernon Forrest in California. They had never been there together to watch me fight before and that meant a lot."

Most Painful Moment: "When Tito beat me. I cried inside. My heart was really heavy. My ego was on the floor. But after I knock out De La Hoya, I'm gonna make Tito an offer, to see if he comes out of retirement. I want him again. And I ain't gonna come unprepared for the fight, because I underestimated Tito. I only trained 28 days for that fight. I won't make that second mistake again. I've been training already since February. I have dedicated three months for this fight. Watch me now."

Embarrassing Boxing Memory: "Was having the first Andrew Lewis fight stopped because of an unintentional headbutt early in the fight. I just knew I was going to knock him out but he got cut and I couldn't finish it. I got him in the rematch though."

Worst Injury: "Was in training for the first Andrew Lewis fight. I caught a thumb in the eye training and I couldn't spar for about ten days leading into the fight. I was very worried that I wouldn't be in top form. But it wasn't the case."

Favorite Boxers To Watch: "I loved watching Roberto Duran and, later, Sugar Ray Leonard. Their fight in Montreal (in 1980) was such a great fight. Both men showed great determination, skill and strength."

Favorite Vacation Spot: "Hey, I don't really vacation. But when I'm in Managua - that's my world. I love being there."

People Qualities Most Admired: "I like people who shoot straight and tell the truth. Like Don King has always done what he said he would. He also relates to the common people too. That's what I always try to do."

Funny Boxing Memory: "I laugh about it now, but then it wasn't funny. When I would come off the street to take a fight. Just because I needed some money to eat. I would really take a fight the day of the event...even if I wasn't training. Just to fight. In thinking back on it, I realize that I probably would not have lost had it not been for me taking fights on just a day or two notice. And sometimes no notice [smiles]."

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: getting to know ricardo mayorga

CC Miles. Not such a bad guy is he folks? I mean how can you not like a man who enjoys good vanilla ice cream?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was waiting for Mayorga to say "I don't like nuts with my vanilla like Oscar."

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    I was waiting for Mayorga to say "I don't like nuts with my vanilla like Oscar."
    Yeah...me too.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

a pre fight bump....gotta make mayorga look friendly somehow!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MAyorga by 6-8 Ko over the golden fag!
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yep, im hoping for a mayorga shock too....ive nothing against delahoya but mayorga is exciting and i really dont want to see PBF: DLH....

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    yep, im hoping for a mayorga shock too....ive nothing against delahoya can mayorga is exciting and i really dont want to see PBF: DLH....
    You suprise me Miles, I wouldn't have thought Mayorga would be your kind of fighter at all!

Personally I'm just looking for a great fight. As long as it's a war I'll be happy for the winner.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im not a big mayorga fan like hulk but i can enjoy what he brings to the ring. when he's focussed he's exciting and thats something anyone can gravitate towards.

ive never been a big DLH man, though like i say, ive no real anti DLH sentiments....mayorga is just altogether more of an interesting package for me. especially at this stage in oscars career....

still, all we can hope for is a great fight....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayorga is a good guy. Its only that he's unsophisticated and crude. Oscar on the other hand is corporate and people mistake corporate, polished and sophisticated behavior with sincerity and substance.

But I've learned, a well spoken and polite individual could be a real sicko on the inside, whereas a rude, unapologetic person could be a real nice guy once you get to know em.

This reminded me of the lead up to Jones Tarver 3. Almost everyone had Tarver down as a talkative moron. Even I. Some still do.But after seeing the dude overcoming cocaine addiction, being a teenage father, and getting back into the boxing game so late in his career that he even went bankrupt, it was nice to see him get to the top of the game and get a couple pay days. After hearing about his struggles etc, I simply stopped routing for Jones and began rooting for Tarver.

This is the same way when it comes to Mayorga. Mayorga, talks a lot is brash, uncultured and uncouth. But deep down inside you see a guy that empathizes with the plight of the poor people of his neighborhood, and a guy that totally respects and adores his parents. We also see a guy that does not put on any pretense. He likes to smoke, drive fast cars and women. Totally uncorporate, but totally genuine.

This is why I'm rooting for Mayorga.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BigMix27
    Mayorga is a good guy. Its only that he's unsophisticated and crude. Oscar on the other hand is corporate and people mistake corporate, polished and sophisticated behavior with sincerity and substance.

But I've learned, a well spoken and polite individual could be a real sicko on the inside, whereas a rude, unapologetic person could be a real nice guy once you get to know em.

This reminded me of the lead up to Jones Tarver 3. Almost everyone had Tarver down as a talkative moron. Even I. Some still do.But after seeing the dude overcoming cocaine addiction, being a teenage father, and getting back into the boxing game so late in his career that he even went bankrupt, it was nice to see him get to the top of the game and get a couple pay days. After hearing about his struggles etc, I simply stopped routing for Jones and began rooting for Tarver.

This is the same way when it comes to Mayorga. Mayorga, talks a lot is brash, uncultured and uncouth. But deep down inside you see a guy that empathizes with the plight of the poor people of his neighborhood, and a guy that totally respects and adores his parents. We also see a guy that does not put on any pretense. He likes to smoke, drive fast cars and women. Totally uncorporate, but totally genuine.

interesting posting, bigmix

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BigMix27

man

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like I been sayin, Mayorga is REAL, Oscar is a PHONY. But to quote Wolf from Pulp Fiction "Let's not suck each others cocks just yet..." Mayorga has still gotta win this damn fight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You specifically used that quote....its because De La Hoya is in your signature isn't it its effecting you!!!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    You specifically used that quote....its because De La Hoya is in your signature isn't it its effecting you!!!
    Nah, I used it cus I just watched that part the other day, and it was a funny comment. On a brief side note, you bein a Sharmba fan, like myself (not that a I'm a BIG fan by any means, but I like the guy), what did ya think of his win? I thought he beat up Cruz worse than Mosley did, hell Cruz has a draw against Baldomir too. I say good for Sharmba, he could possibly beat the winner of Baldomir-Gatti IMO.

Thread Information