Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Tough Guys and Gentlemen! (racist Toney) - by Michael Montero

Tough Guys and Gentlemen

What is America’s obsession with tough guy athletes? It seems that for years the typical American boxing fan seems to be drawn to arrogant tough guys who claim to be from “the mean streets” and seem to have a total lack of respect for the sport and anybody other than themselves. Case and point – why is James Toney a more popular American heavyweight than Chris Byrd? Look at their heavyweight records and there is no comparison as to who has done more. Byrd is a true class act, a real good guy in the sport, and deserves more credit than he gets (hopefully he moves down to Cruiserweight and makes some noise there before he retires). James Toney is often blunt as congress is clueless, and the way he turned up badly out of shape for his fight against Hasim Rahman, was an embarrassment to the sport, in my opinion. He’s not shy about giving his comments about any subject, either. After being given a gift draw with Hasim Rahman (in a fight he deserved to lose), at the post fight presser, Toney ranted that “Ya’ll keep trying to make a white champion, but it will never happen”, “Ya’ll keep trying to build up these German and Russian guys, but they can’t fight”, “Ya’ll need to quit that” and so on.

He made sure to mention that as “Afro-Americans”, Rahman and he were “real” fighters. So if I'm to follow Toney's logic, you have to be of that particular demographic to be a “real” heavyweight fighter? Problem is many American fans and boxing media alike seem to agree with that assessment based on their lack of regard and respect for the division’s Eastern European big men. In a recent interview in a popular American Hip Hop magazine, he proudly proclaimed that “Black men are the sh*t, that’s why white men want to be us, and why white women want to f*ck us”. Look, it’s good to be proud and all but this is over the line in my opinion, and comments like this would not be tolerated from any fighter of European extraction. Can somebody say “double standard”? It really makes you wonder...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tough Guys and Gentlemen! (racist Toney) - by Michael Montero

“Black men are the sh*t, that’s why white men want to be us, and why white women want to f*ck us”"

James Toney is that much a jerk ?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Source?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BigMix27
    “Black men are the sh*t, that’s why white men want to be us, and why white women want to f*ck us”"

James Toney is that much a jerk ?
    As a boxing lover I made a promise to never differ between races! May the best man win!

I also do never believe that race has anyting to do with boxing. Then most talented guy will always win; yellow, red, black, white or what ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Missy
    Source?
    Sorry, I forget that even I wanted to put in on....

1st Edition of Montero’s Boxing Notebook

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=6815&more=1

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not Eastside!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Missy
    Not Eastside!
    Hehe, I did not get the point, what is the problem with ESB?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe, Kessler, Hatton, Klitchsko, Liakhovich - All white guys who more than likely will not lose to black fighters (yes I think Mayweather will lose to Hatton), 2 of those guys being heavyweights, 3 of those guys could possibly fight James Toney (that includes Calzaghe if Toney stops eating micky d's). Guess he didn't think that one through?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cityboy
    Tough Guys and Gentlemen

What is America’s obsession with tough guy athletes? It seems that for years the typical American boxing fan seems to be drawn to arrogant tough guys who claim to be from “the mean streets” and seem to have a total lack of respect for the sport and anybody other than themselves. Case and point – why is James Toney a more popular American heavyweight than Chris Byrd? Look at their heavyweight records and there is no comparison as to who has done more. Byrd is a true class act, a real good guy in the sport, and deserves more credit than he gets (hopefully he moves down to Cruiserweight and makes some noise there before he retires). James Toney is often blunt as congress is clueless, and the way he turned up badly out of shape for his fight against Hasim Rahman, was an embarrassment to the sport, in my opinion. He’s not shy about giving his comments about any subject, either. After being given a gift draw with Hasim Rahman (in a fight he deserved to lose), at the post fight presser, Toney ranted that “Ya’ll keep trying to make a white champion, but it will never happen”, “Ya’ll keep trying to build up these German and Russian guys, but they can’t fight”, “Ya’ll need to quit that” and so on.

He made sure to mention that as “Afro-Americans”, Rahman and he were “real” fighters. So if I'm to follow Toney's logic, you have to be of that particular demographic to be a “real” heavyweight fighter? Problem is many American fans and boxing media alike seem to agree with that assessment based on their lack of regard and respect for the division’s Eastern European big men. In a recent interview in a popular American Hip Hop magazine, he proudly proclaimed that “Black men are the sh*t, that’s why white men want to be us, and why white women want to f*ck us”. Look, it’s good to be proud and all but this is over the line in my opinion, and comments like this would not be tolerated from any fighter of European extraction. Can somebody say “double standard”? It really makes you wonder...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

of course race has nothing to do with boxing. and race also has nothing to do with regards to sports period.

but the fact that james toney holds such an ignorant position that because he is black, there is something inherent in him that makes white men want to be him, and white women want to have sex with him, is ridiculous.

out of pure depraved fetishes some white women only date black men etc. but that has nothing to do with anything good inherent in black men. (Ironically there are black women that do the reverse and never date any black men) but the fact that james toney perpetuate such frivolity in a serious tone is really disheartening to the sport of boxing.

as a popular boxer, he is a representative of his sport. and whether he likes it or not, not coming to a fight in shape, and uttering stupid babble does not represent the sport well.

Toney needs to get a publicist. If he was serious he would have been the WBA and the WBC champion by now, and he would probably be garnering endorsement deals. But stupidity. yikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the guy is just mad, whats real and whats swiming in his head are a moutine apart

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

None of you seem to get it. Toney says these things to create attention and publicity which in turn gives him more cash.

All of you moralising on his smack talk are actually just doing exactly what he wants you to do, TALK ABOUT HIM!!!!

I like Toney cos I realise he's a performer.

Don't waste your time arguing the merits of his smack talk, it's all bullshit I doubt he means half of it. He just wants to be the centre of attention.

And guess what, he succeeds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And if the shoe was on the other foot and a fighter of another race were to say these things about black athletes, "just to get attention" would it be O.K.?

F*** no........there would be race riots and law suits and more sharpton and jackson than you could shake a stick at!!!

This asshole is creating color lines in boxing. He's causing everyone who reads these boxing presses to look at boxing in black and white. That's really a shame because thats not what it's supposed to be about!

The bottom line is the guy just doesn't seem to like white males....I've said this a thousand times before on this forum and the evidence keeps rolling in.
    He keeps saying S*** like this abandoning all of his caucasian fans who bought tickets and videos and spent their time watching his fights and "talking it up about him to their friends."

The largest of betrayals, can't wait til someone retires his fat a**.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mucho testosterone
    And if the shoe was on the other foot and a fighter of another race were to say these things about black athletes, "just to get attention" would it be O.K.?

F*** no........there would be race riots and law suits and more sharpton and jackson than you could shake a stick at!!!

This asshole is creating color lines in boxing. He's causing everyone who reads these boxing presses to look at boxing in black and white. That's really a shame because thats not what it's supposed to be about!

The bottom line is the guy just doesn't like white males....I've said this a thousand times before on this forum and the evidence keeps rolling in.
    He keeps saying S*** like this abandoning all of his caucasian fans who bought tickets and videos and spent their time watching his fights and "talking it up about him to their friends."

The largest of betrayals, can't wait til someone retires his fat a**.
    It's different for a white man to speak down about blacks because of the history of white oppression over blacks. Even though blacks are now seen as equal in terms of the law ( in theory) they are still greatly disadvantaged over white society in all parts of the world.

It's a similar situation to a woman being allowed to say things and even hit a man and it's acceptable whereas a man hits a woman and he better watch out.

So from that perspective it's clearly less acceptable for a white to make racist comments than a black, not saying it's right, it's just the way it is.

Still I don't see the big deal. It takes all different kinds of characters to make boxing interesting and the boxing world would be worse off without him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cityboy
    Tough Guys and Gentlemen

I would love to see Mark McGuire hit him in the head with a homerun slugging swing. Hell I would pay to see it. Fook James Toney.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Thread Information