Quote Originally Posted by oakleyno1
gracie with the old rules - kills lidell and matt, and pretty much anyone else out there. with the new ones i dunno
You're comparing the people he faced back then to the people he could face now, it's different....

Yes the old rules would aid Royce in winning the fight, back then there wasn't mixed martial artists yet but abunch of martial artists competing in a mixed martial art fight. Now it's a different playing field and everyone knows all the tricks. Some people just happen to be better like Liddell or Couture. Theres a reason Gracie's aren't that successful in mma anymore and it's simple - no striker had a takedown defens back then and you rarely seen a striker that also had a grappling background. Now every striker has a takedown defense and in most cases have a grappling game of their own. True mixed martial artists and Gracie is the one who never learned how to do anything besides hugging other people. Don't get me wrong I like jujitsu and think it's totally necessary, but lazy narrow minded people need to be

I give a few credit, theres about 3 or 4 of em competing in pride right now and aren't losing every fight
They still lose to the elite though