Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Some Thoughts on Body Punches

There is a common misconception that working to the body means getting hit more in return and I don't think that is true, though it often turns out that way. If you lead with body punches you'll get hit in return and you'll deserve it because (1) its not good to reach with your punches (2)you'll be hitting arms mostly anyway (3)it needn't be that way. Look to hit the body off counters vs. his jab inparticular, and the right as well.
    There are two other false beliefs about body punching: its a mostly left hook kind of task and that you have to keep at it round after round to make it effective. In truth the straight right to the heart was for decades a legitimate ko blow and the right uppecut to the solar plexus is a draining punch. And one well timed and set up blow to the body has often changed the course of a fight, doing more damage than 10 rounds of "shoeshine" combos to the body. Read the accounts of fights from 1900 til today and see how often one body punch drains a fighter.
    When hitting the body it is best to get the shoulder of the punching arm to level with the target; so to hit the liver try turning over your left leg (like you've just thrown a winging right hook/swing). Your head is protected by your right shoulder your left shoulder is lowered to target height and the start of the liver punch is hidden from him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Some Thoughts on Body Punches

yes a big problem indeed. i hear cornor advice like that all time time during fights. stuff like, "youre not throwing enough to the body, more to the body" as if the body wasnt a thing segmented into specific sections that require precise set up to even get a mit on, but rather some kinda bag to throw apples into, the more the better -- oh, and boxing be damned by the by. something in a similar vein; i heard floyd sr in de la hoya's cornor in the mayorga fight ask a guy how many jabs in the round had oscar actually thrown. the number returned to him i think was 9. his response, "more fucking jabs" like a higher numerical output of jabs would equate to sucess; but what were the jabs setting up? who cares, setting up punches doesnt matter -- "more fucking jabs." boxing has become a game of quantity over quality and the transformation from a sport of scientific knockouts to a game of winning the most rounds is now complete. i dont even remember the last time ive saw a real 10 count ko.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold
    There is a common misconception that working to the body means getting hit more in return and I don't think that is true, though it often turns out that way. If you lead with body punches you'll get hit in return and you'll deserve it because (1) its not good to reach with your punches (2)you'll be hitting arms mostly anyway (3)it needn't be that way. Look to hit the body off counters vs. his jab inparticular, and the right as well.
    There are two other false beliefs about body punching: its a mostly left hook kind of task and that you have to keep at it round after round to make it effective. In truth the straight right to the heart was for decades a legitimate ko blow and the right uppecut to the solar plexus is a draining punch. And one well timed and set up blow to the body has often changed the course of a fight, doing more damage than 10 rounds of "shoeshine" combos to the body. Read the accounts of fights from 1900 til today and see how often one body punch drains a fighter.
    When hitting the body it is best to get the shoulder of the punching arm to level with the target; so to hit the liver try turning over your left leg (like you've just thrown a winging right hook/swing). Your head is protected by your right shoulder your left shoulder is lowered to target height and the start of the liver punch is hidden from him.
    Ive sparred guys a whole lot bigger and older than me that have loaded up with power punches to the head and all i think about is getting even.

Hit me with a nasty body shot especially to the chest and all im thinking about is recovering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lol

thank god i've yet to feel that pain

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They get hit because of bad techniuqe, simple as that. Nobody practices skills andlearning levelsand distance any more.Im afraid today AMS and PRO are different sports now,theres the problem.Somebody with a long Amatuer record is going to struggle to change, their style is set in stone. People cant be arsed trying to change.Ive been told the Ams dont score body shots anymore, so basically its a waste of time learning. Boxers now dont change levels they drop their hands instead of dropping their knees,their heads dont move
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah... not scoring body shots would explain why I lost my last fight on 1 stinking point despite landing more than the other guy threw :P

Sloppy judging

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by raleights
    lol

thank god i've yet to feel that pain
    get it over and done with... :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bodyshots take alot out of a fighter, if the other guy gets winded then it is a bonus....
    I got knocked down by a bodyshot not too long ago in sparring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    They get hit because of bad techniuqe, simple as that. Nobody practices skills andlearning levelsand distance any more.Im afraid today AMS and PRO are different sports now,theres the problem.Somebody with a long Amatuer record is going to struggle to change, their style is set in stone. People cant be arsed trying to change.Ive been told the Ams dont score body shots anymore, so basically its a waste of time learning. Boxers now dont change levels they drop their hands instead of dropping their knees,their heads dont move
    my trainer is big on body punching I know a five punch combo to throw to the body off a jab that turns into a five punch combo once he drops his hand to defend the body

so actually its a ten punch combo

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That sounds better than having sex, I just got a semmi on reading that, thank you
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I go to the body alot, regardless of it being an Amt fight, because its the easiest way to get a knockout....

A well set up liver shot = End of Amateur fight very easy....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight132
    my trainer is big on body punching I know a five punch combo to throw to the body off a jab that turns into a five punch combo once he drops his hand to defend the body

seriously you guys i know some of you may think im full of it the way i say i throw so many punches but if you want to be sucsessful , even if you form is crappy as hell, you got to train on throwing lots of punches. if you dont get tired of throwing punches and can last a whole 3 rounds at a steady pace who is going to want to exchange with you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

up above when i said "off the jab" i mean when my opponent jabs at me not me jabbing at hiim

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

seriously you guys i know some of you may think im full of it the way i say i throw so many punches but if you want to be sucsessful , even if you form is crappy as hell, you got to train on throwing lots of punches. if you dont get tired of throwing punches and can last a whole 3 rounds at a steady pace who is going to want to exchange with you?
    Some one who can defend and counter properly? Obviously you've got to be fit enough at what you do... no one wants to get winded

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB

Some one who can defend and counter properly? Obviously you've got to be fit enough at what you do... no one wants to get winded
    im not gonna tell anyone how but the last thing i do to finish my very long workout that includes hill sprint and just about everything you can thing of is throwing 2,200 punches in three rounds for my last three rounds. Yes i have certain things keeping count.

Thread Information