Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default ROCKY STATUE!!!

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...n/14555991.htm
    BY STEPHAN SALISBURY
    Knight Ridder Newspapers

PHILADELPHIA - The peripatetic bronze Rocky statue, bestowed on the city a quarter-century ago by His Rockyness Sylvester Stallone, appears to be coming to rest again: at the head of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway near the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

The Fairmount Park Commission on Wednesday approved the site - proposed by city officials - just to the east of the museum steps made famous in the original "Rocky" movie.

"This is an incredible honor from the greatest city in the United States of America," Stallone, who learned about the move from a reporter's call, said through his publicist, Michelle Bega.

The Art Museum has "OK'd" the site, said Norman Keyes, a museum spokesman.

The 8-foot, 6-inch, half-ton statue of Stallone in boxing trunks - arms raised - was a prop in the 1982 movie "Rocky III," and the actor offered it gratis to the city that year. There was only one catch: He wanted it prominently located - as in, atop the museum steps. Art Museum officials and the city Art Commission said no way, citing its commercial nature and questioning its artistic worth.

But after much back and forth, a compromise was worked out and the statue was located on the steps for a few months (where it was a favorite for tourist snapshots) and then moved to the Spectrum.

While "Rocky" sequels seem to be a permanent feature of the cinematic landscape, the statue did not stay at the Spectrum. It eventually moved to a site near the Wachovia Center. After the most recent "Rocky" crew departed a few months ago, the statue was placed in storage. Now the city wants to put it back in front of the Art Museum - at the foot of the steps this time around.

Joan Schlotterbeck, the city's commissioner of public property, said there had been ongoing interest from Stallone and his representatives to have the statue placed in a prominent spot - such as the top of the Art Museum steps. "This is the first time we gave him a compromise that works and he accepted," Schlotterbeck said in an interview.

Park Commissioner E. Harris Baum expressed dismay about the precedent.

"If a film about Donald Duck in Philadelphia comes out," he wondered, "do we put a Donald Duck statue in our park system? Rocky is fine. But other films have relevance, too. Where do we stop?"

"That's something I'm not prepared to answer," Schlotterbeck told the commission. "To me, the Rocky statue does have relevance to the city. It came to the city for a movie, and so it has relevance for the city. As far as Donald Duck is concerned, I can't comment."

Schlotterbeck said a private fund would be established to install and maintain the statue.

Laura Griffith of the Fairmount Park Art Association, a public art organization that has maintained and sited sculpture throughout the park and along the Parkway, said that "the art association was not involved in the relocation." She had, therefore, no comment on the site selection.

The city Art Commission also must approve the location.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: ROCKY STATUE!!!

Really that statue should have been of Joe Frazier

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Agreed !!!!

I would also like to point out that the statue is probably faster than John Ruiz, and has more charisma than Lennox Lewis
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was gonna get left outside the Musuem line like in the film but all the fops in there thought it 'demeened the art in the musuem'

Just as long as they're not show casing crappy modern art I don't care... any one ever been to it, is it mostly 'real' art, or the type of shit which usually involves shitting in a tin of red paint and pooring it on paper?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah and it fights better then audley harrison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

True. Frazier doesn't get enough respect IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That really would not made much sense for the plot of the movie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The park is a good place for it (the statue) then the pigeons can do the same number on it Stallone has been pulling on the public. I saw Stallone on the Carson show once and he was talking about his dumb Rocky movie when they brought out Muhammed Ali and Stallone looked as though he dropped a load in his shorts, right there. Remember the Rocky movie with Rocky chasing all the chickens ? Well, I think they should add a pair of bronze chickens to the statue. One perched on each shoulder. Then they should find the KFC nearest to the museum and mount the statue there. I would be the first in line for a fried chicken leg at KFCRB. If Stallone is so proud of the stupid statue why does he not put the thing in front of his stupid house where his family can admire it? Smokin' Joe deserves the recognition. Maybe the tax payers should foot a bill for a Rambo statue with a genuine Medal of Honor attached to it at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington DC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by lance Uppercut
    That really would not made much sense for the plot of the movie
    haha cool click. I liked that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i can accept that. But the rocky movie brought philadalphia to the world...the world got to see just how great boxing is in philadelphia...it also had Frasier in the movie....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes it should have. He epitomizes the heart and soul of a Philiadelphia fighter.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually, from what I remember of the Rocky films, I have not seen one in about ten+ years, Stallone portrayed Philladelphia as a slum city. I just remember a dirty city with tenaments and dirty alleys with the mob and Italians who can't even spell the word cat. After seeing these movies, Philadelphia is a city I would not want to visit. Yo Adrian.
    That statue is what is known as landscape pollution. It is right up there with McDonalds billboards destroying scenic outlooks. Stallone has his accompishments- but what arrogance for the man to insist that a statue portraying himself as a heavyweight fighter be forced upon a city. Put it on the ballot in the next mayoral race and I bet that statue ends up being donated to the city of New Orleans.

Thread Information