Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Question for Gutshot/Scrap

I box and do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. What type of weight routine to you recommend I follow? Something specific to the sport. I'm interested in staying around the same weight that I am now 5'9, 140lbs. I don't want muscles that are conditioned for aerobic, seeing as how much of boxing and jiu jitsu is anaerobic. But I can't get huge either. Explosive strength is obviously key as both sports require quick and explosive movements. I must also maintain and improve my flexibility (I also do some yoga).

I basically want to be as quick, strong, and explosive for my weight as possible.

I have read all sorts of theories on how to incorporate weight lifting. Some say high reps (I don't think I believe in this), some say explosive body weight exercises, or low rep, explosive weight lifting.

Ross Enemait insists on low rep, explosive lifting. How do I explosively lift a weight that I can only lift say 4-6 times? Am I doing regular lifting exercises? (bench press, shoulder press, curls, squats, dead lifts, pull ups etc), or something else?

Another form of exercise that I've seen on some MMA forums is performing a series of exercises, say 6 exercises that cover various parts of the body, in a row, and then breaking. Example: 10 reps bench press, 10 curls, 10 squats, 10 dead lifts, 10 pull ups, 10 burpees... break.

As far as diet, I think I have a good idea of what to eat. Lean meat for protein, veggies (especially green), fruit, low on the dairy, complex carbs (pasta, rice, oatmeal), protein shake, multivitamin, easy on the bread... especially on non training days.

Sorry that's a lot to look at, but any insight would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Question for Gutshot/Scrap

I'm following a bodybuilding routine as i'm looking to get back some of my old size that i lost on my 2 year break.

Explosive strength is not easy to attain, i've heard this before and it does ring true

"It is significantly easier to get an explosive athlete 'in shape,' than it is to make an 'in shape' athlete explosive. The first will take weeks the second may take years."
    Power Cleans
    Military press
    Bench press
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bent barbell rows

These exercises are compound lifts and tax more than one muscle group, they help to build a strong core rather than trying to use isolation lifts (such as one muscle exercises i.e. dumbell curls).

Bodyweight exercises (such as plyometrics) are good for being able to maximise the force the body's muscles can 'fire' into action. IMOthey are good for jumping higher and running that little bit faster but they really only deal with your own weight.
    I.e. if someone is on your back grappling you, its going to give you a bit of an edge but not like if you were deadlifting 300 lbs every week

That training routine you got off the MMA forums is good for strength and looks like an endurance test too lol... compound lifts, minimum rest, you would see good results for MMA.

Low rep/heavy weights is good for strength, i've seen olympic lifters use these styles of lifting, its a trade off between strength and endurance.

As you can probably tell there is more ways to achieve you goal of explosive power/strength, its just choosing the right routine and IMO its with the MMA routine you sourced. The routine contains many of the compound lifts i mentioned and its designed by MMA's for MMA's

Great to read that you've got your diet sorted

Here's a series of articles i found on a website i frequent a fair bit
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hale36.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Question for Gutshot/Scrap

Thanks. I was leaning towards this as well, but I don't consider myself to be overly knowledgeable in the subject. I read and know more than most, but I know you two know more than myself.

I watched an MMA champ, I feel like an idiot for not remembering his name right now. Anyways he trains with this ex military guy at his gym. He lifts weights for an hour straight with no breaks. His only break is the run to the next machine, or barbell.

I guess I can do something like that, but on a lesser level for the time being.

Thread Information