Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I need sum advice!

I'm 16 and Ive been boxing with my friends dad for about a year or so now. Because I'm a girl i don't find many people that i could box with around my area without boxing with boys(but thats never the same)

...i weigh about 110 pounds...(flyweight) and there i girl that I've met that doesn't live far but shes about 119 pounds...(Bantamweight)

do you think it would be OK for me to start training with her and spa'ing with her?

i haven't been that serious but i think we would make a good training pair...do you think training with someone heavier than you s a good idea?

please write back with some advice!
    Loza x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I need sum advice!

Personally, I think sparring outside of a boxing gym with a certified trainer/coach is a bad idea, and should be avoided. If however, you're going to do it anyways, wear protective head gear, use padded 16oz gloves, stay hydrated and don't over do it.

Make sure she realizes that you are 9 lbs lighter. Neither of you should go full out on each other, but she especially should take a little something off of her punches.

I'd recommend finding a gym though. You are likely to pick up bad habits and improper technique when learning on your own.

And welcome to the forum... have your first cool click. There are some very knowledgable people around here, and you can learn a lot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

9lbs. really isn't that much of a weight difference; it mainly depends on the height. But Youngun's right though, bad idea to spar outside of a gym. Your best bet is to get a punching bag and a speed bag and some bag-gloves and boxing gloves (to shadowbox with) until you can get into a gym that suits you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im 132 and i sparr with my brother all the time hes 166. Ive sparred guys that weighed up to 180.

9 lbs dont mean a damn thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by lozaxxx
    I'm 16 and Ive been boxing with my friends dad for about a year or so now. Because I'm a girl i don't find many people that i could box with around my area without boxing with boys(but thats never the same)

...i weigh about 110 pounds...(flyweight) and there i girl that I've met that doesn't live far but shes about 119 pounds...(Bantamweight)

do you think it would be OK for me to start training with her and spa'ing with her?

i haven't been that serious but i think we would make a good training pair...do you think training with someone heavier than you s a good idea?

please write back with some advice!
    Loza x
    Yea it's ok to train and spar with some one heavier than u. Like a couple others said to 9lbs isn't that much of a difference.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Focus on defending and countering, just work technique and keep it light and 9 pounds won't me a thing

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Might even help her out as well, in countering speedier fighters at her weight.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information