Thread: Nationalism, I'm all for it.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nationalism, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Weebels
    This was a topic that has been brought up be for, but I think that the Nationalism displayed here is a good thing. There are people that rut for a fighter just because he's from their home country. I have several Russian friends that are very proud of V. Klichko (or however it's spelled), and they don't even watch boxing, unless he's fighting.
    Of late it's been the Americans vs. The Brits. Some people take themselves too seriously, but I think they will get over it. And it is probably the easyest way to get a rise out of people. Watch.
    He's from the Ukraine not Russia and I dont think they get one even though they are neighbours but anyway most of favourite boxers are from the states but if they fought an Irish guy then i would be shouting for him instead so although I am a nationalist i would support fighters from other countries

El Kabong Guest

I just think there is a double standard when it comes to white people who end up liking white fighters. I mean I'm guilty of it sure, I liked Tommy Morrison and The Klitschko's and so on but what's the difference between me liking those guys and hispanics liking Julio Cesar Chavez?

I mean yes more Mexicans like Chavez than Panamanians or Puerto Ricans but still the national pride between those countries is almost racism.

But why do I always get shit like "You only like him because he's white!"...but if you look at the styles of your prototypical white heavyweight that's the way I fight, that's what I like. Usually no good at defense, big punchers, and just brawlers...good on offense bad on defense...that's what I like, so sue me. I can identify with being cut, being outboxed, and so on.

This doesn't mean I ONLY like white fighters...I can usually identify with them a little more though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LarryB
    He's from the Ukraine not Russia
    Actually Wlad was born in Kazakhstan, Vitali, Kyrgyzstan...

But of course like you say both are now citizens of the Ukraine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    I just think there is a double standard when it comes to white people who end up liking white fighters. I mean I'm guilty of it sure, I liked Tommy Morrison and The Klitschko's and so on but what's the difference between me liking those guys and hispanics liking Julio Cesar Chavez?
    Do you really not see the difference, mate, between you liking the Kiltchkos--who are from halfway around the world--because they're white, versus a Mexican or Mexican-American liking a fighter FROM MEXICO? One is racial, the other is national. Will you root for the world cup team who has the highest percentage of white people rather than the U.S. team, which has more black and hispanic players on it, because you can "identify better" with a bunch of Swedes than with blokes from your own backyard? This is nonsense.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Do you really not see the difference, mate, between you liking the Kiltchkos--who are from halfway around the world--because they're white, versus a Mexican or Mexican-American liking a fighter FROM MEXICO? One is racial, the other is national. Will you root for the world cup team who has the highest percentage of white people rather than the U.S. team, which has more black and hispanic players on it, because you can "identify better" with a bunch of Swedes than with blokes from your own backyard? This is nonsense.
    Exactly, CC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my observations black Latins and Mestizos tend to root much more for Latin and black gringos than for white gringos be it in boxing, wrestling, soccer, musicians, etc.... but they will root white man if they get to know him or see him as a underdog.

Constrastly the White Latins also tend to root for black and mestizo gringos over white gringos but they tend to enjoy white gringo music more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by raleights
    This was a topic that has been brought up be for, but I think that the Nationalism displayed here is a good thing. There are people that rut for a fighter just because he's from their home country. I have several Russian friends that are very proud of V. Klichko (or however it's spelled), and they don't even watch boxing, unless he's fighting.
    Of late it's been the Americans vs. The Brits. Some people take themselves too seriously, but I think they will get over it. And it is probably the easyest way to get a rise out of people. Watch.
    I think it's a blue collar thing to do, rooting for someone without having a 'valid' reason. It's the equivalent of the KKK putting all that energy into hating blacks but not even understand why. To me it shows a certain illiteracy and well, stupid people shouldn't be able to breath all that air (taking oxygen away from the rest of us)
    Gees, the way u put it it sounds bad. The way you found the correlation between picking a boxer and an irrational dislike for someone because of the collar of their skin. "Kind of a stretch". And you of course do your home work, you know the white collar way. Get some background on each fighter you don't know. Maybe call their family and friends to see what he / she is really like. Do a background check. And if they don't share your high moral fortitude, they should die.
    Well that is the beauty of a free society, you can believe whatever you want no matter how stupid it is.
    Thats what happends when you perceive everything you read forum in a literal sense. Use your brain young padawan, use it to figure out what the person is really saying

And yes my sister deserves to die for cheering on Oscar, for obvious reasons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by maracho
    In my observations black Latins and Mestizos tend to root much more for Latin and black gringos than for white gringos be it in boxing, wrestling, soccer, musicians, etc.... but they will root white man if they get to know him or see him as a underdog.

Constrastly the White Latins also tend to root for black and mestizo gringos over white gringos but they tend to enjoy white gringo music more.
    made me smile. 4 u

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it's a blue collar thing to do, rooting for someone without having a 'valid' reason. It's the equivalent of the KKK putting all that energy into hating blacks but not even understand why. To me it shows a certain illiteracy and well, stupid people shouldn't be able to breath all that air (taking oxygen away from the rest of us)
    Gees, the way u put it it sounds bad. The way you found the correlation between picking a boxer and an irrational dislike for someone because of the collar of their skin. "Kind of a stretch". And you of course do your home work, you know the white collar way. Get some background on each fighter you don't know. Maybe call their family and friends to see what he / she is really like. Do a background check. And if they don't share your high moral fortitude, they should die.
    Well that is the beauty of a free society, you can believe whatever you want no matter how stupid it is.
    Thats what happends when you perceive everything you read forum in a literal sense. Use your brain young padawan, use it to figure out what the person is really saying

And yes my sister deserves to die for cheering on Oscar, for obvious reasons
    Ok i understand the difference between racism and patriotism. I'm a blue collar worker that does not automatically make me a simpleton. Thats not saying, that I'm not. If you know nothing about two fighters in the ring, except their wins, losses, name, and where they hail from. What causes you to rut for them. Lets say one is English, and one is German. I would tend to rut for the Englishman, because that is the one that I have the most in common with. I have both in my blood line. But my last name is English and I speak a version of the language. And I also tend to rut for Americans in the same circumstances, unless he comes across as an asshole. Their color is not relevent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Racism has always been a part of sports and is not that bad in the U.S. like it is in Europe where the fans hoot like monkeys against black players. The U.S. used to be real bad against black boxers where they where paid to take a dive or disallowed to fight white champions. Today I would bet that men like Louis Farrakhan and Jessie Jackson have a lot of influence on racism against white fighters and probably even influence to some degree black fighters who tend to avoid some of the white European fighters.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm white and from the Uk and will usually root for the English guy in any fight, unless they are a cunt like Carl Froch or a fat lazy windbag like Danny Williams.

Amir Khan is english-sort of, I like the kid but I will be rooting for Kevin Mitchell to knock his ass out. In fact I've always rooted for Amir's opponents to knock him out. Is it because he is a muslim? Honestly I don't know maybe it is, maybe it's because I don't like all the hype he gets.

If he does well and earns my respect I'll like him, but for now I'll root for him to be knocked out every time he fights.

By the way I always root for Carl Froch (white) and Danny Williams (black) to get knocked out too.

I would for Calzaghe against any fighter, Hatton against any fighter, Manfredo against any fighter (hope he never meets Calzaghe) and Manny Pac against any fighter.

If the pacman took on Scott Harrison I'd be praying paccy to knock him out too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I consider myself blue collar, atleast from that type of background and thats unfortunate for meh, so the next best thing is to fight against it . Just sit back and enjoy the chess match if you're not familiar with the fighters. If you completely must 'root' for someone then wait till you've seen a little bit of the fight. Chris Rock said it best "Anyone who makes up their mind before they hear the issue is a F****** fool", in boxing it's before you 'see' the issue.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Today I would bet that men like Louis Farrakhan and Jessie Jackson have a lot of influence on racism against white fighters and probably even influence to some degree black fighters who tend to avoid some of the white European fighters.
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here, but it sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory. And I don't know what "racism against white fighters" you're talking about, regardless of which black political figures are or are not plotting to make it happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I consider myself blue collar, atleast from that type of background and thats unfortunate for meh, so the next best thing is to fight against it . Just sit back and enjoy the chess match if you're not familiar with the fighters. If you completely must 'root' for someone then wait till you've seen a little bit of the fight. Chris Rock said it best "Anyone who makes up their mind before they hear the issue is a F****** fool", in boxing it's before you 'see' the issue.
    Good point.
    And yes i must root for someone, the house rule (my house) is you got to pick your fighter befor the fight. And as a general rule someone else will take the other guy. We get to talk trash, point fingers, say how the oposing fighter is a dirty fighter, bla, bla, bla. It makes for a good time for my kids and I. Much like what goes on befor and after fights here on this forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza
    Today I would bet that men like Louis Farrakhan and Jessie Jackson have a lot of influence on racism against white fighters and probably even influence to some degree black fighters who tend to avoid some of the white European fighters.
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here, but it sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory. And I don't know what "racism against white fighters" you're talking about, regardless of which black political figures are or are not plotting to make it happen.
    Are you denying that Jessie Jackson and Farrakhan spend huge amounts of time with black boxers? I know they where a huge influence on Ali, Tyson and many more and are still seen sitting in the stages besides well known black boxers.

Just read how Elijah Muhammad influenced Ali and tried to influence Sugar Ray robinson.
    site like removed because its crap

Oh and just listen to all the chants Toney gets after his fight with Rachman gets for his racist remarks against white fighters. I could find a whole lot more examples if you insist and will probably do it anyway but I have to go make a little money right now.

Oh and just go dig up some Tyson videos and listen to him confess how he was brainwashed to hate the white man.

Thread Information