Thread: Bruce Lee's one inch punch is a party trick, its not even a punch

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bruce Lee's one inch punch is a party trick, its not even a punch

And theres barely 2 feet to place you're leg back to balance, plus the subconiuos fact you know the chair will abosrb the fall.

Its a good demo of weight transfer and balance but people go on about it like he could lift a man off the floor and send him flying with a 1 inch punch like off the Matrix...

Thats the problem with bruce lee, very fit guy, very talented but so much of his legacy and built on hype, myth and is exagerated by the ignorant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that was far more than a push, you could see there was alot of power to the shot

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your right its a push.
    But it has other benifits ,not used in boxing.
    If used on to a finger tip strike with a loaded wrist it can penetrate the softer areas.
    With gloves it is just about usless unless you want to blast your opponent off of you in a clinch etc.
    Even so to do that would be better if you could blast him off with one high palm strike and one low both going out at 45% over one of his arms with that step through onto the end of it.(not leagle in boxing though).
    Those are the techniques from Wing Chun that mr Lee added onto to create the one inch punch.
    Getting snap onto the end of the thrust is difficult.
    Although if you have completed iron palm training and practice bare handed chi sao you can accidently split face skin with it.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i cant wait to take up wing chun, i said that once i reach 2nd degree i would mix it up a bit...

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wise move.
    To go around and sit and study all the styles available is benifitial,you just sit and shut up, watch for a few lessons and then take the first lesson for free all the while taking in all the seniors moves.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka
    Bruce Lee was still a badass, though.
    what? what tournaments did he ever win?......none....CHUCK NORRIS RULES!!!! Chuck was a world champ.....Bruce Lee was Hollywood...a FAKER if you will....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

chuck norris was taking private lessons with bruce

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

errr.... chuck norris was bruce's pupil numb nuts.

learn the relationship between master and student and you might understand the concept that bruce was a higher level than chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka
    Bruce Lee was still a badass, though.
    what? what tournaments did he ever win?......none....CHUCK NORRIS RULES!!!! Chuck was a world champ.....Bruce Lee was Hollywood...a FAKER if you will....
    right then...
    I guess that's why Chuck Norris thought that Bruce was alot better than he was, and took lessons from him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre
    Wise move.
    To go around and sit and study all the styles available is benifitial,you just sit and shut up, watch for a few lessons and then take the first lesson for free all the while taking in all the seniors moves.
    lol, i go for more than a few lessons

Judo: 8 - 14yrs old, i was training 6 days a week at 4 different clubs
    Taekwondo: its been over a year, won gold for sparring at national ITA tournament in Feb 2006
    Boxing: A brief 6 months due to time constraints but plan to restart
    Wing Chun: Plan to start in 2008
    BJJ: Plan to start in 2010

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didnt make that clear,
    I ment every style ,look into all of them so you can see what their strengths and weakness are watch the top men in each.Get on the mat as well and just soak it all in.Dont tell them what or where you are comming from or it will defeat the purpose and you will have to deal with their egos aimed at your style.
    We went there to each as total beginers just for the exersize and we soaked up everything we could.
    It was an exersize for us to do years ago in one school and we had to write a theisis on the pros and cons of each style under different circumstances before we could steak our own flag in ground.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually as a Jeet Kune Do practitioner and taught by a Si Fu accredited by Dan Inosanto the one inch punch is taught as a means to finish off your punch. the technique takes practice but when applied properly it brings the nasty for sure. I have demonstrated many of times to friends and family, not as dramatic as knocking someone off a chair but just putting your index person on someones chest like you were making a handgun and then quickly close your fist and snap it downward in the 1 inch range and you generate enough force to move someone its fact!!

Again the application is when you finish your punching motion you wanna snap that wrist like a whip on contact and it adds a whole lot of force. In Jeet kune Do you keep your hands up and open a bit while taking a traditional western boxing stance for trapping and intercepting purposes so when you drive off the back foot while snapping your hips, shoulders and lastly that 1 inch punch on contact the force generated is pretty amazing.

to put it proper percpective you are going to correctly apply the principle while defending your self in a street fight or confrontation, Bruce was all about effeciently neuteralising your attacker and stopping him in his tracks asap. attribute drills are taught in combos, whether its 1, 2's or finger jab, right cross and elbow to the face or muay thai combos utilizing knees or headbutts and kicks that should never go above the ribs. as long as it flows makes sense and can be seamless quick its all good. Remember you wanna strike and get your hands back up and body into position. No movements should leave you vulnerable by design.

Also you are usually taught to reverse your stance if your orthodox you are converted to Southpaw and vice versa. The purpose is 2 fold.

1) Since you wanna end the skirmish fast your initial jab or strike is going to be the most powerful since you reversed stances your Jab because a laser sharp power punch that sets the table for the other strikes to follow.

2) Leaves a mental imprint on someone because if you initially jab your way in before starting your combo sequences he feels the power of your supposed Jab and fears the cross that might come because the jab clean his clock the cross is going to feel like a freight train and he might not want to stick around. even though in theory your cross would be really coming from your naturally jabbing hand. That will be your secret

Its not a principal that was taught for a 12 round fight, maybe it would work I dont know? but try it Adam in sparring and see if it puts more sizzle on it. Another thing I liked is that it taught me to get my hand returned back for defense. When you snap your wrist at the end it makes your arm like a boomerang that coils back naturally

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He took it from the Bill Gee form,Wing chuns final form, which is the finger thrusting form. Its for attacking the soft tissue areas eyes and pressure points around the jugular and aorta and under arms, into liver, etc.

If you watch the form on utube theres a turn of the wrist sometimes inwards or outwards depending on if you are coming over or under the opponents arm and depending on the target as well as vertical strike and horizontal to fit in better to the target, the cocking and snapping of wrist on the end of each finger strike deflects the fingers in without risk of breaking them (like if you went straight in. )

Bruce was taught Bill Gee before he came up with the one inch punch.

So it was definitely part of his thinking process in coming up with it.

Trouble is people get carried away with its application. He would only use that type of thing on a fist for blasting an opponent away from him like at close quarters in a clinch or to land one opponent into another one when dealing with a few.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    He took it from the Bill Gee form,Wing chuns final form, which is the finger thrusting form. Its for attacking the soft tissue areas eyes and pressure points around the jugular and aorta and under arms, into liver, etc.

If you watch the form on utube theres a turn of the wrist sometimes inwards or outwards depending on if you are coming over or under the opponents arm and depending on the target as well as vertical strike and horizontal to fit in better to the target, the cocking and snapping of wrist on the end of each finger strike deflects the fingers in without risk of breaking them (like if you went straight in. )

Bruce was taught Bill Gee before he came up with the one inch punch.

So it was definitely part of his thinking process in coming up with it.

Trouble is people get carried away with its application. He would only use that type of thing on a fist for blasting an opponent away from him like at close quarters in a clinch or to land one opponent into another one when dealing with a few.
    I know about the trapping and Wing Chun we did a lot with that as well, BUT it's mechanism was still applicable to the punch. Remember as having no way as your way, as long as its effecient and effective in all ranges of combat it was all good with Bruce.

I remember running up the length of the school pumping our fists like a grain harvester blasting away also on the heavybag for a minute straight blasting... rough stuff.

We always got into the historical signifigance of orgins etc. for respect, etiquette and applied knowledge. But the onus was on defending yourself in the most practical and effective way

Thread Information