Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Top Rank sues Golden Boy!

Tuesday, May 23 2006

Top Rank has reportedly filed a multi-million dollar lawsuit against former Top Rank fighter Oscar De La Hoya and Goldenboy Promotions. The suit alleges that that Top Rank had the right of first negotiation/last refusal for Oscar's next fight following the Top Rank promoted Bernard Hopkins-Oscar De La Hoya fight in 2004, but that Golden Boy did not act in good faith, asking for an exorbitant purse for the recent fight with Ricardo Mayorga. That card was a huge success, producing 875,000 pay-per-view buys and $43.8 million in pay-per-view revenue, In addition, the event did $7.6 million at the gate. Promoter Bob Arum told the Las Vegas Review Journal that Top Rank was damaged by at least $3 million. The lawsuit is also seeking punitive damages.

Arum is a bitter old fart, he cannot accept the fact that Oscar who he believes is his creation is his competition and is doing very well for himself.
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Top Rank sues Golden Boy!

Honestly, for the life of me I can't figure out why Bob Arum or Don King havn't had bullets wizzing by their head at one point or another. They've both got it coming from alot of people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its whats known as greedy old man syndrome, the more they get the more they want and don't care about passing the torge to younger guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's just jealous because Oscar makes so much more money without him, and then he just wants a piece of the pie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

piece of the pie, he's already had about 17 whole pies, he should at this point in life except younger guys making money as well without him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by eugepang
    He's just jealous because Oscar makes so much more money without him, and then he just wants a piece of the pie.
    Arum=Little Don King can't stand to see anyopne but him make money in this sport....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arum and Delahoya are friends no more

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly, I'm suprised it took this long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't understand why does Arum holds Oscar in such contempt, I mean its not like oscar was his son that left him. It was all business they both made each other a lot of money. arum should have thanked his good fortunes that oscar landed on his lap, coz any promotional firm could have made oscar who he is today.
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar was his son... and his son hit him where it hurt most, in his wallet, so he's trying to put Oscar in time out

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arum should get over it. He made money and that should be an indication that he could have started something of a joint venture for all those big fights that one promoter can't carry alone. But no, he's got to have it all. How much money is enough, doesn't he realize the fans are watching?

Thread Information