Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Is he going to do anything in the division?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs

Shannon (34 years old) lately seems to LOVE fighting bums, he's had 10 fights since fighting Jameel McCline who one could say was his last "important fight". Since that time he has fought: Jeff Pegues, Ray Mercer, Abraham Okine, Marvin Hill, Wade Lewis, John Sargent, Demetrice King, Brian Scott, Dicky Ryan, Lucciano Zolyone, and he's scheduled to fight Chris Koval.

Before during and after these fights he's talked shit about a number of fighters, Sam Peter, The Ibrigamov's, The Klitschko's, Alexander Dimitrenko, etc. yet he hasn't stepped into the ring with a top contender since 2002 and he last fought for A belt in 1998 since then it's been a long steady ride to nowhere.

I honestly think since the Lewis fight he's been shit scared to get hit because he knows what it feels like to be totally demolished by a better boxer and harder puncher.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs

I give Shannon this, nobody crushes the C, D level fighters like him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i can honestly say your on to something

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your right, But he is fast and does have a punchers chance.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Give him time. He's just working his way up slowly. When he's 50 or so he'll call out Lennox Lewis again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I definitely prefer an active fighter over a guy who sits around and waits for some big payday that might never come. Briggs has fought a lot of journeymen over the last few years but that's fine by me. That's exactly what George Foreman did during his comeback. He got back into shape that way and it boosted his confidence to win a lot of fights. Briggs wasn't high ranked until recently so it was reasonable for him to fight guys ranked outside the top 20. He's won enough fights now against journeymen and is ready for better quality opponents again. If he beats Chris Koval I would say that he's all the way back to where he was after he beat Foreman over 8 years ago.

However, his weight for the upcoming Koval fight is too high, over 270 lbs. :

http://boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=492745

I don't like it since there's no reason for him to be that heavy. He's just too lazy to train down to a proper weight. Look at what he weighed when he started his career:

http://boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=004629

Obviously he hasn't put on 60 lbs. of muscle since then. He hasn't made a believer out of me yet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mokele
    Well I definitely prefer an active fighter over a guy who sits around and waits for some big payday that might never come. Briggs has fought a lot of journeymen over the last few years but that's fine by me. That's exactly what George Foreman did during his comeback. He got back into shape that way and it boosted his confidence to win a lot of fights. Briggs wasn't high ranked until recently so it was reasonable for him to fight guys ranked outside the top 20. He's won enough fights now against journeymen and is ready for better quality opponents again. If he beats Chris Koval I would say that he's all the way back to where he was after he beat Foreman over 8 years ago.

I don't like it since there's no reason for him to be that heavy. He's just too lazy to train down to a proper weight. Look at what he weighed when he started his career:

Obviously he hasn't put on 60 lbs. of muscle since then. He hasn't made a believer out of me yet.

Good assessment
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mokele

You are right, no way Briggs should weight that much. 240 to 250 would be a good weight for him IMO. I do think he would defeat either Ibragimov and possibly Peter, but he coud get KO'd by Peter too. That would be a good fight and one I want to see.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

El Kabong Guest

I may be wrong but I think talking shit about top level fighters then going on to fight guys like Chris Koval doesn't really show you off as badass. I mean we talk shit about class fighters everyday but then again we aren't fighting professionally.

Shannon is a farce at this stage in his career, I am HOPING for a Sam Peter or Ibrigamov fight, maybe even a McCline rematch. I want to see what Briggs actually has left in the tank and not him vs some hobo or whatever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Shannon Briggs

he won tonight, knocked the guy out in the 3rd round

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shannon Briggs

Said once and I'll say it again. Nobody crushes the C, D level fighter like Briggs does

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shannon Briggs

how many confidence builders does this guy need?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    I may be wrong but I think talking shit about top level fighters then going on to fight guys like Chris Koval doesn't really show you off as badass. I mean we talk shit about class fighters everyday but then again we aren't fighting professionally.

Shannon is a farce at this stage in his career, I am HOPING for a Sam Peter or Ibrigamov fight, maybe even a McCline rematch. I want to see what Briggs actually has left in the tank and not him vs some hobo or whatever
    Yeah that loss to Mccline was a fukin embarassment. Now don't get me wrong I dislike the Klitschkos very much, but when Briggs standn next to Mccline, whom he had his ass beat by , who had his ass beat badly by Wladimir Klit, said in an interview "...and we all know what happens to Klitschkos when they get hit." And laughed. I was just like, what a dumass, he has no room to talk at all.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    I may be wrong but I think talking S*** about top level fighters then going on to fight guys like Chris Koval doesn't really show you off as badass. I mean we talk S*** about class fighters everyday but then again we aren't fighting professionally.

Yeah that loss to Mccline was a fukin embarassment. Now don't get me wrong I dislike the Klitschkos very much, but when Briggs standn next to Mccline, whom he had his a** beat by , who had his a** beat badly by Wladimir Klit, said in an interview "...and we all know what happens to Klitschkos when they get hit." And laughed. I was just like, what a dumass, he has no room to talk at all.
    But atleast Briggs is fighting 3 to 5 times a year, A lot of the other fighters might fight twice if not once.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDukeof74
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    I may be wrong but I think talking S*** about top level fighters then going on to fight guys like Chris Koval doesn't really show you off as badass. I mean we talk S*** about class fighters everyday but then again we aren't fighting professionally.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like Shannon Briggs. He is definately a talented fighter, but that was just a dum thing to say. I wanna see him fight at least a lower top 10 guy soon though. Also this is off topic people, but what ever happend to Monte Barret? He was high in the rankings and fought Rahman in a borefest then dropped off the radar, where is he?
    Yeah that loss to Mccline was a fukin embarassment. Now don't get me wrong I dislike the Klitschkos very much, but when Briggs standn next to Mccline, whom he had his a** beat by , who had his a** beat badly by Wladimir Klit, said in an interview "...and we all know what happens to Klitschkos when they get hit." And laughed. I was just like, what a dumass, he has no room to talk at all.
    But atleast Briggs is fighting 3 to 5 times a year, A lot of the other fighters might fight twice if not once.

Thread Information