Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Far fetched Thought:Could Bruce Lee have been a Lightweight Champ??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Far fetched Thought:Could Bruce Lee have been a Lightweight Champ??

He never relied on his physical gifts like his rival Roy Jones. Everything he did was methodical, tricky, deceptive, always playing with your mind instead of coming in with flashy combinations and wild haymakers. Don't get me wrong he wasn't completely lacking in the athletic department, it just wasn't his style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Bruce Lee wasn't faster than the eye... Roy Jones was faster, Mayweather is faster WITH gloves. Bruce Lee is overhyped... Anyone could do his one inch punch, and I saw his sparring tapes he wasn't impressive at all. And the most important note is he never fought anybody that was a world class fighter.
    you are so on this.....Bruce Lee was the most overhyped person on this earth....he was never good at actual fighting..
    Im sure he'd beat mine, yours and collazo's ass into oblivion before either one of us 3 could take a bite of a chinese chicken drumstick. The man is a master of his craft, no one hates on picasso cos he couldn't sing.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw1991
    he fought many world class kickboxing and martial arts world champs. because he was a gifted martial artist he would sure of beat any boxer in his weight in a street fight because he could use fists, legs, knees, elbows etc. although im not sure how he would of been in boxing.i think its true he may of had the fastest hands EVER. he had all the tools but it would just of been a matter of time before he learned the art of boxing(which i would think is much easier than kung fu). if he could do that......who knows. maybe the greatest ever, but we'll never know
    I'm a blackbelt in Kung Fu...trust me when I say this..I know and have seen many 1st and even 2nd degree black belts that would be even more worthless in a street fight or in a boxing ring than t*ts on a bull...I was a state champion in boxing and I can speak from experience...boxing is WAY harder to master than Kung Fu....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by raleights
    Bruce had 6 professional (forget where the link is) 6 wins, 5 by knockout. Can't tell you if they were bums or world class fighters.... Taeth he probably did have tremendous power and lightning quick hands/feet, but just not to the extent people like to claim. Things people say about him kicking a 150 pound heavybag and making it touch the ceiling or having to slow the cameras down on account of him being too fast are most than likely bullshit. Although you'd have to be naive to think he wasn't an exceptional martial artist and specimen of a human being. Against another trained fighter in THAT era he was probably very effective, things have evolved though. We have those same type of specimens today, they're just in another form and we get to see them in real situations. In boxing we've had someone like that, ever hear of Roy Jones? MMA has a guy like that, Fedor Emelianko is someone I'd call untouchable - 23 wins, 1 loss because of a cut (no loss at all). In mma do you have any Idea what kind of record that is? Fighting the best fighters on the planet and never tasting defeat - as good as he is though, he can be knocked out as it almost happend before. What did he do? He held on, gained his composure and retaliated. So to think Bruce Lee was untouchable is silly, he could be knocked out, and would probably be knocked out by bigger men like the Wanderlei Silva and Chuck Liddell's of the world. Who knows what kind of boxer he would of been. Definately an exceptional one, being exceptional doesn't keep you at #1, look how physically gifted Bernard Hopkins wasn't - he was on top of the world at one point . You never know who mentally has it for this game, for all we know Wacko's mind is better equipped for boxing than Floyd Mayweather's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This man Trained 6 hours a day....

nuff said....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jtrock
    The thought just crossed my mind he was 5'7 135 lbs If he had commited himselt to Western Boxing fully I believe he would have been a Lightweight champ and a Legend and heres why..

Speed: he had unbelievable hand speed,almost faster than the human eye

Accuracy:He was a deadly accurate striker

Power: His power was legendary,He learned how to utilize every bit of his 135lbs almost superhuman was his power and strength

Footwork:go's without saying and his ability to strike at every percieved angle with maximum power was amazing

Defense: Defense was a priority "Hit without Being hit" is what Bruce preached with Jeet Kune Do

Intelligence: Bruce was a student and a teacher of the fight game he was innovative in his thinking and methods

Bruce was a very physically gifted human being and all joking aside a perfect killing machine...
    Again purely speculative Thread but having knwledge of Bruce and studying his Jeet Kune Do for a few years it's a fun thought..

Funny thing is Bruce would never have committed himself to one art,Jeet Kune Do provides a strong foundation by taking the useful attributes of all different arts and blending them all together so you are effecient and profecient at every range of combat..Boxing is the 1st range of Jeet Kune Do.

But boxing alone is considered an incomplete Martial Art system since it is limited..so he never would have committed exclusively though.But we can still speculate
    Dude he could fight abit but he was an actor.
    i dont think so

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was a martial artist who went in to acting..... abit like Segal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Segal is a trained killer though (as goofy as he looks!), he worked for the CIA but then again he didn't

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He too is a specimen, I remember at this Aikido seminar I attended they were talking about why all the things you see him do in films is possible. He's very tall and has an arm spam of a man thats nearly 7 foot tall, just riducously long arms that hang down to his knees, which allows him to be very effective with Aikido, Wing Chun and all that jazz. Everyones different, and certain martial arts are going to compliment you personally better than others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who knows maybe Bruce Lee may of been a piss poor boxer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bruce Lee would have been a welter weight he was 145 I have met him and Bill Wallace who was also very quick but wallace was 175

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think it is possible at all that Bruce Lee would of been a lightweight champ. Because no matter what kind of physical attributes you have. In order to be a world champion boxer (in any weight class) you have to be 100% dedicated to boxing. With Bruce Lee that would of never happened, because he was into doing too many different things. It would be interesting to see hime try though. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LarryB
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrock
    The thought just crossed my mind he was 5'7 135 lbs If he had commited himselt to Western Boxing fully I believe he would have been a Lightweight champ and a Legend and heres why..

Speed: he had unbelievable hand speed,almost faster than the human eye

Accuracy:He was a deadly accurate striker

Power: His power was legendary,He learned how to utilize every bit of his 135lbs almost superhuman was his power and strength

Footwork:go's without saying and his ability to strike at every percieved angle with maximum power was amazing

Defense: Defense was a priority "Hit without Being hit" is what Bruce preached with Jeet Kune Do

Intelligence: Bruce was a student and a teacher of the fight game he was innovative in his thinking and methods

Bruce was a very physically gifted human being and all joking aside a perfect killing machine...
    Again purely speculative Thread but having knwledge of Bruce and studying his Jeet Kune Do for a few years it's a fun thought..

Funny thing is Bruce would never have committed himself to one art,Jeet Kune Do provides a strong foundation by taking the useful attributes of all different arts and blending them all together so you are effecient and profecient at every range of combat..Boxing is the 1st range of Jeet Kune Do.

But boxing alone is considered an incomplete Martial Art system since it is limited..so he never would have committed exclusively though.But we can still speculate
    Dude he could fight abit but he was an actor.
    i dont think so
    You took the words right off of my keyboard!!

HE WAS AN ACTOR

he was not an assassain, we was not a F****** ninja, he had some fights and supposedly won a few but above all else he was an actor.

He drove the martial arts Pop-Culture craze of the 70's but people give him way way way way way too much credit for things that he could have done.

At that time Martial Arts was a relatively exotic concept because we had some what closed ourself off from the Eastern World because of different ideologies. Our infromation sources were limited as well, back then it was National Goegraphic and school textbooks. So when Bruce Lee came on the scene it really seemed like he was some sort of magician with this exotic Eastern fighting style that we really previously had limited exposure to in the States.

I agree that he was quick and had a lot of talent but above all else, people need to understand that he was mainly an actor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bruce Lee was more then an "actor" to develop a philosophy.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, but how would he have done against a lion or a tiger. Which one would have given him the most problems? And how about a liger or a tion?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information