Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing with braces

My son is 19 and has been boxing for about one year. Just the other day we found out that he would need braces (again). Anybody on this board box with braces? What kind of gumshield do you use? I'm going to ask his otrhodontist, but I thought I'd see what experience people on this site have had. As always, thanks for any replies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing with braces

he can box with braces but he will be needing one of them gumshields made for braces, search shock doctor braces on google

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I doubt the dentist would reccomend it and most coaches won't allow it. its not just the metal on his teeth its the tension being pulled across them.

I said this in another thread but if you hold a peice of paper with one hand and hit it it probably won't brake. If you pull the paper tight and hit it. It tears.

And the end of the day though see what his dentist says and if a coach would allow it. it may be that he only has a pernimant brace for a few months then all he has to wear is a retainer which he can remove when he boxes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

theres a few kids at my gym with braces who box and they just wear normal gum shields and if his got braces top and bottom then just the double gum shields

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanhatton
    theres a few kids at my gym with braces who box and they just wear normal gum shields and if his got braces top and bottom then just the double gum shields
    seriously i dont think its that big of a deal i saw about 6 girls at my old gym with braces they would always loose their mouthpeice so they would just sparr with the cheap gyms mouthpeice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i also think it's not a big deal to wear braces. perhaps he'll have to buy one of those "special" mouthpieces that require him to go to his dentist, he'll adapt the mouthpiece to his new "configuration"

I said this in another thread but if you hold a peice of paper with one hand and hit it it probably won't brake. If you pull the paper tight and hit it. It tears.
    hmm lol, sorry but i don't see a connection

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he means cus of the strain the braces put on ur teath

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CRO-Luka
    i also think it's not a big deal to wear braces. perhaps he'll have to buy one of those "special" mouthpieces that require him to go to his dentist, he'll adapt the mouthpiece to his new "configuration"

hmm lol, sorry but i don't see a connection

Probably because you never used to wear a brace its two bit metal bands rapped around your two strongest molars then lots of little metal clips sealed onto the teeth which are getting moved (usually all of the top or bottom or both to be honest) with wire inserted through the clips and then pulled extremely tight at the band on the molars... maybe its because the dentist who did my was rough as fuck... but I couldn't eat for about a week when ever he tightened mine he used to pull them so tight.

Your teeth aren't static in your games when you bite etc they move slighly but a brace is pulling them to the limit of the play they have.

Thread Information