Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: hughes TKO's Gracie

"best of his era" And like I said I don't see Hughes doing it "today" So he shouldn't talk like he could. And again we'll never know if Hughes could and that is one of the things he admitted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by raleights
    Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Like I said, this was just a showcase for Hughes just like Shamrock vs. Ortiz was. And Gracie was never the same after the second Shamrock fight. If somebody like Sakuraba and others can beat Gracie then there was no reason why Matt Hughes wouldn't, now I would like to see Matt Hughes away from the reality TV and move up in weight and try to win at the other divisions. Because Matt Hughes really got on my nerves in the buildup to this fight with the trash talking and etc. I really want him to be humbled right now. If he says the UFC has evolved so much since then why doesn't he fight 4 fights in one night against people the size of Silva and Arlovski matter of fact why not fight Arlovski after fighting 3 fights in the same night. For as much S*** as Hughes talked about Gracie he wouldn't ever be able to come close to accomplishing the things Gracie did and has done.
    Ultimately, the method of Gracie's madness is in no way shape or form as effective today as it was yesterday, thats what you seen in the fight. Royce did the whole world of mma a favor by reminding us of what a ground game can do for you as a fighter. But you can't compare the people from 10+ years ago to those competing now, it's apples and oranges. Kazushi Sakuraba is a fantastic fighter, one of the most versatile I've ever seen and thats why he beat Royce and every other Gracie he fought - he had an answer for Royce in every situation. And in Kazushi's organization (Pride), they still host tournaments where you fight 3 bouts in one evening. Their upcoming open weight grand prix will be setup like that I believe.

Bottom line he was great in his own time, but Gracie is irrelevant in todays mixed martial arts. If he can't beat Matt Hughes what do you think happends when he goes to Japan and fights the best in the world?

BTW Matt hughes is 5'9 if you expect him to move up to 200lbs you're smoking that crack rock again
    I thought Matt was like 5"7.

Either way your right. The sport has evolved and versatility is the key. Fighters now fly to clinics and spend a few months there to learn different styles. Its really interesting this way. I do believe however, that todays fighters are way more effective than those of yesteryear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I respect and like both fighters greatly, but this is sort of what oscar pbf would tension up.

An amazing legend vs. the current champ.

Now then back to UFC.

You MUST give Gracie the prop of when his arm was near broken by hughes' hold, yet he kept the calmest of faces and managed to get out, I thought it was unlucky when matt ended on top of him, if gracie was even 3 years younger, or gotten to go to round 2, I think the night would have ended differently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the greates I ever saw in mma was rickson gracie heres a vid
    http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...=3.5MB&dur=131

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If thats the best you ain't seen much

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Royce is the one thing you can't be in today's MMA...One Dimensional. You don't have to be the greatest grappler/submission artist but you need to be good enough to defend against it, just like you don't have to be greatest striker just good enough to use your other skills. What Royce accomplished in the first three UFC's is an awesome feat and very few MMA fighters today could have achieved it(if any). For that and for bringing BJJ to the forfront of the martial arts world he will go down as a legend. All that being said the original UFC were set up for Royces fighting style. The no time limit, the gi, the fact that fighters weren't stood up and the fact that no one had ever seen a triangle choke or knew what the guard was were all big plusses. The simple fact is the sport has changed and the way fighters train has changed. Royce will not be competitive against the top tier MMA fighters b/c he isn't versatile enough and the rules no longer allow some of the tactics that helped him.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by P.G.H Angel Eyes
    Quote Originally Posted by babyboNe
    i didn't see the fight but im not suprise matt tko'ed royce gracie...what was gracie thinking coming off retirement to fight todays most dominant champion...we can say royce is past his prime thats why he was dominated by matt...but seeing royce past fights and matts past fight i'd still think matt would win prime for prime...royce never fought some1 close to matts abbility...matt is to strong for the now and prime royce...
    Ken Shamrock in his day was better then Hughes will ever be.
    Not really Hughes is by far a more superior striker and is more intelligent than Shamrock ever was

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by VanChilds
    Matt totally dominates the figh in route to a TKO stoppage at the very end of the first round...Royce never had a chance
    Royce came in chubby...I think he took this fight way to lightly...he looked out of shape for the first time...I thoughit was a poor representation of Gracie...not to take anything away from the Matt Hughes A**wuppin express!!! I picked gracie....an in shape gracie abiet but gracie nonetheless...so I missed this one badly....damn it......
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by raleights
    Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Like I said, this was just a showcase for Hughes just like Shamrock vs. Ortiz was. And Gracie was never the same after the second Shamrock fight. If somebody like Sakuraba and others can beat Gracie then there was no reason why Matt Hughes wouldn't, now I would like to see Matt Hughes away from the reality TV and move up in weight and try to win at the other divisions. Because Matt Hughes really got on my nerves in the buildup to this fight with the trash talking and etc. I really want him to be humbled right now. If he says the UFC has evolved so much since then why doesn't he fight 4 fights in one night against people the size of Silva and Arlovski matter of fact why not fight Arlovski after fighting 3 fights in the same night. For as much S*** as Hughes talked about Gracie he wouldn't ever be able to come close to accomplishing the things Gracie did and has done.
    Ultimately, the method of Gracie's madness is in no way shape or form as effective today as it was yesterday, thats what you seen in the fight. Royce did the whole world of mma a favor by reminding us of what a ground game can do for you as a fighter. But you can't compare the people from 10+ years ago to those competing now, it's apples and oranges. Kazushi Sakuraba is a fantastic fighter, one of the most versatile I've ever seen and thats why he beat Royce and every other Gracie he fought - he had an answer for Royce in every situation. And in Kazushi's organization (Pride), they still host tournaments where you fight 3 bouts in one evening. Their upcoming open weight grand prix will be setup like that I believe.

Bottom line he was great in his own time, but Gracie is irrelevant in todays mixed martial arts. If he can't beat Matt Hughes what do you think happends when he goes to Japan and fights the best in the world?

BTW Matt hughes is 5'9 if you expect him to move up to 200lbs you're smoking that crack rock again
    while hughe beat him straight up...I don't think we really saw gracie...I waited till i watched the fight.....I think now that Gracie got a taste of the new UFC he might be better the next time...that or hughes puts him into a coma...
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In short...royce looked like an old man, nothing like what he used to look like. He didnt look to be even as strong as he use to be. He got mauled. Why not shamrock-gracie again, it would be more even coz both have gone down hill...id tip shamrock by ko though coz even shamrock didnt get koed in one round by ortiz. Id love for ken to retire with a win....id love for him to beat ortiz in the rematch but i think hes done.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it bull s### that they stoped the match. Gracie would get pounded by guys bigger that huges and he would still win. Huges didnt prove anything, he didnt make Gracie tap or ko him. Ufc is a bunch of bull sh#t now and there trying to make the new ufc look better than the old one. If the match was like the old ones when they didnt have the ref stoping the fight then gracie would have won. Fu#k ufc Pride FC is where its at.

I would love to see matt huges in pride getting his a** beat, ther would also be no big john to stop the fight for him to win. I hate ufc sometimes now, its starting to be a weekly show and its all hyped up now its like wrestling now.

Thread Information