Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Antwun Echols, how good was he?

I know many people probably didn't like Antwun, but he was a murderous puncher and had a lot of heart. I think that had he gone for either Joppy or Keith Holme's titles, he would have gotten them. Bernard was the only man champ that was stopping him, and he did. I also loved both his second fight with B-hop(hilarious) and his shootout with Charles Brewer. He is one of the best fighters I've seen recently to not win a World Title.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Antwun Echols, how good was he?

For as little as he had to work with(location, sparring partner, trainers) on natural talent he got much farther then people expected. If he had relocated got some new trainers and sparring partners and better experiences, he could have been great

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, I feel he would have knocked out Tito Trinidad had they fought back in 00-01. Also him and Jeff Lacy would have been a hell of a fight IMO. At least he left quite a legacy with that second B-hop fight though, it stands as THE funniest fukin fight I have ever witnessed. Gotta love when Echols goes down from that sissy hit to the back of the head and plays like it killed him.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins has always said the Echols fights were his hardest fights. He actually dared Keith Holmes and William Joppy to fight him when they were champions.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Hopkins has always said the Echols fights were his hardest fights. He actually dared Keith Holmes and William Joppy to fight him when they were champions.
    Yes I know about the first comment, and that is a real compliment coming from B-hop too. But I never knew he challenged those two to fight Antwun. Hopkins laid a good ass whippin on both of them himself.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    Yes I know about the first comment, and that is a real compliment coming from B-hop too. But I never knew he challenged those two to fight Antwun. Hopkins laid a good ass whippin on both of them himself.
    This was before Don King's Middleweight unification tournament. Hopkins said it wasn't his fault that there wasn't only one Middleweight champion. He never had a problem fighting the toughest guys. Which is why he fought Echols. He said if Holmes and Joppy were to scared to fight him, than they should fight Echlos. He felt Echols would of knocked either one out. This was said after the first Hopkins-Echols fight. In which Echols actually dropped Hopkins (wasn't called) in the first and stunned him in the 12th.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This was before Don King's Middleweight unification tournament. Hopkins said it wasn't his fault that there wasn't only one Middleweight champion. He never had a problem fighting the toughest guys. Which is why he fought Echols. He said if Holmes and Joppy were to scared to fight him, than they should fight Echlos. He felt Echols would of knocked either one out. This was said after the first Hopkins-Echols fight. In which Echols actually dropped Hopkins (wasn't called) in the first and stunned him in the 12th.
    Heres a CC. Maybe it'll balance out that SC I gave your ass. Hopkins spoke the truth. Boy I remember when Joppy gave B-hop that shove when the announced their fight a couple years ago, I knew he was in for a beating then.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heres a CC. Maybe it'll balance out that SC I gave your ass. Hopkins spoke the truth. Boy I remember when Joppy gave B-hop that shove when the announced their fight a couple years ago, I knew he was in for a beating then.
    I always taught Joppy would give Hopkins a good fight. Because of his hand speed. But that was the pre-Trinidad Joppy. The one after was already shot. Trinidad shot him and Hopkins delivered the deathblow. CC back at you. I would try to balance the sc's I given you. But I think I might of given you to many to make up.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always taught Joppy would give Hopkins a good fight. Because of his hand speed. But that was the pre-Trinidad Joppy. The one after was already shot. Trinidad shot him and Hopkins delivered the deathblow. CC back at you. I would try to balance the sc's I given you. But I think I might of given you to many to make up.
    Nice. May I ask, fellow Echols fan, Why the fuk you gave me so many sad clicks?
    and yes Joppy was messed up after the Tito fight, the dummy coulda won the fight had he not been so damn cocky and kept them hands up and boxed, Taylor's win over him meant next to nothing in the form he was in by then.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice. May I ask, fellow Echols fan, Why the fuk you gave me so many sad clicks?
    and yes Joppy was messed up after the Tito fight, the dummy coulda won the fight had he not been so damn cocky and kept them hands up and boxed, Taylor's win over him meant next to nothing in the form he was in by then.
    Joppy clearly under estimated Trinidad's power. And over estimated his own. And I'm just fuckin with you. Couldn't of gave you more than 2. I don't keep count. The one I do know I sc the most is that tosser (whatever that means) cocky cockney. Or whatever his name is. I sc'ed that boy at least 5 times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He may have been on the decline, but Mundine gave him a bit of a boxing lesson. At that stage Mundine had been boxing for only a bit over 2 years. So other than a very inconsistant power puncher..... he didnt seem too much.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Zarzoff
    He may have been on the decline, but Mundine gave him a bit of a boxing lesson. At that stage Mundine had been boxing for only a bit over 2 years. So other than a very inconsistant power puncher..... he didnt seem too much.
    Yeah he was on the decline. And was at a weight class too big for him. Didn't Mundine get KO'd by Sven Ottke? A guy who has zero power. Doesn't seem like much more than an inconsistent boxer to me.

Thread Information