Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I don't think Winky's defense is the most effective.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why I don't think Winky's defense is the most effective.

I think his style of defense looks good in numbers to a degree, but definitely isn't the best in terms what defense is meant to be getting hit the least amount of times possible. Bernard Hopkins, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Pernell Whitaker, Young James Toney do three things that imo are so much more effective than just putting up a solid guard: 1. They roll under punches. 2. They use that elevated front shoulder. 3. Mayweather Jr, Hopkins and young Pernell all used footwork so that the opponent could throw the least amount of punches against them as possible... this allows you to win a round throwing 30-40 punches. I love Winky's style, but its definitely not IMO the most impenetrable or efficient defense out there.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why I don't think Winky's defense is the most effective.

Those guys styles also let them be more able to counter in between the other guys punches because they're almost always in punching position. Winky has a tendency to cover up and wait until a guy is done punching and then come back and that can hurt him at times cause judges sometimes mistake activity for actually landing punches. Still a great style and I thought he won 115-113 last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He can counter more often and that works of his style, but since he is so close he can rarely hurt the opponent because he can't lunge in with his counter ala Mayweather or Jones... I don't think he could ever emulate their styles or should... this style works for him, but its not the most effective defense I see out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Winky threw arm punches, it's hard to get leverage if you're constantly covering up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

but i think his defense and counter style is effective against smaller fighters, but unfortunetly Taylor was too big, and too fast for Winky.
    Shame, because if Taylor didn't coast he would of won

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    Those guys styles also let them be more able to counter in between the other guys punches because they're almost always in punching position. Winky has a tendency to cover up and wait until a guy is done punching and then come back and that can hurt him at times cause judges sometimes mistake activity for actually landing punches. Still a great style and I thought he won 115-113 last night.
    Yeh i agree i think that style cost him last night because it allowed JT to look a lot busier and it also looked as tho JT was landing many more punches then he actualy was.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono
    Yeh i agree i think that style cost him last night because it allowed JT to look a lot busier and it also looked as tho JT was landing many more punches then he actualy was.
    Looking & doing are two different things & if we as fans can differeintiate...then why do you think that the judges can't?

Easy.

Taylor is younger & more marketable & Wright aint in the gameplan.

Fwock those judges.

Personally I believe that HBO & their commentators...which in essence are HBO boxing...leaned to the wrong man last night & they know it. Wright outclassed Taylor...he'd do it again if there was a rematch.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Wright outclassed Taylor...he'd do it again if there was a rematch.
    yeah, right..
    Judges don't have compubox, so it would of been difficult to know if Taylor actually landed cleanly or not.
    Since you think HBO are so biased because it's their fighter, I guess Sky Sports must of been completely unbiased.....But they had the fight scored for Taylor aswell.
    Winky was outworked, simple as....Shame Taylor didn't win, because he derserved it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Winky DID get hit the least. You forget a guy like Soliman who threw 100 punches around averaged a landing of single digits in each of them And in 7 rounds Wright hit Taylor more then he's ever been hit as well

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The_One77
    but i think his defense and counter style is effective against smaller fighters, but unfortunetly Taylor was too big, and too fast for Winky.
    Shame, because if Taylor didn't coast he would of won
    Agreed. Taylor managed to slip his hands through the defense of Winky with his long, strong arms, but, IMO, wasn't aggressive enough to win the fight. So I think the draw was a fair deal.
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Looking & doing are two different things & if we as fans can differeintiate...then why do you think that the judges can't?

Easy.

Taylor is younger & more marketable & Wright aint in the gameplan.

Fwock those judges.

Personally I believe that HBO & their commentators...which in essence are HBO boxing...leaned to the wrong man last night & they know it. Wright outclassed Taylor...he'd do it again if there was a rematch.
    Wacko I can't agree wtih you about that. WInky did not outclass Taylor at all... Taylor did way more physical damage I would wager than Winky did... He landed much closer total of real shots than the compubox numbers would show because alot of his shots that hit WInky in the gloves still did damage. I had it a draw threw and threw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Winky DID get hit the least. You forget a guy like Soliman who threw 100 punches around averaged a landing of single digits in each of them And in 7 rounds Wright hit Taylor more then he's ever been hit as well
    WInky still got hit over 350 times... I don't think Mayweather has even been hit over 200 times in his career in any one fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Posted by: Taeth

Taylor did way more physical damage I would wager than Winky did...

But clearly, Taylor got the worse end of the deal, look at their faces and see who really got hurt.

Taylor has slipped some punches on Wnky but Winky covered better and able to land better punches while hands held up high
    Hidden Content
    RIP, Crazy Samurai. Thank you for your Drumming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taylor was pretty unmarked bar the eye, was it a headbutt that caused the damage?
    Winky never really hurt Taylor that badly, probably didn't even hurt him at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Soliman dosen't hit anywhere near as hard as Taylor.....

Thread Information