Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What kind of punchbag do you's recommend?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What kind of punchbag do you's recommend?

I'm pretty much a beginner so haven't had much experience yet, it's the summer holidays for me now but when I return to uni, i'm looking to join their boxing club. So I feel it's best to start now, I don't have amibitions to become a pro boxer but just to box for fun and as a new sport to try out.
    So I have been looking to buy a punchbag for the past month but i'm not a decision maker, so I have a dilemma between which punchbag to buy.
    It is between these three:

4ft Leather punch bag weighing 24kg (53lb). Total Price including bracket £105Powerline Wavemaster free standing bag. Fill with water or sand, 122kg (270lb) when filled. Twice as much impact foam as original Wavemaster. Price £155Torso man. Free standing bag in shape of a man. Padded with dense foam. Price £150

Whichever of the three I choose to buy has to go in the backyard, so this means the leather punchbag needs to be on the wall, and the freestanding ones will need to stay outside as theres no room for it indoors, this could be a problem with rust for the torso man and the punchbag bracket.

Which one would you's recommend, feel free to suggest others that are not one of the three above.

Thanx in advance guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What kind of punchbag do you's recommend?

I'd pick a hanging bag over any other kind any day. However, due to your problem, I can't be too sure. Whichever bag you choose will get messed up pretty quickly from being outside. You could always take the hanging bag off the bracket and bring it inside when you are done, but you're right about the rusting bracket (I'm assuming theres no way you could put a small roof over it or something...also assuming a tarp would help, but only delay the inevitable).

I can't stand standing bags (wavemaster). It doesnt swing, so you cant work your timing, and they seem to fall over far too often.

The torso thing is okay for working on precision strikes with many martial arts, but not terribly useful as it has the same problems as the standing bag, PLUS the fact that you cant really work on your footwork very well (as you can really only hit it from the one angle).
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry...forgot to mention one addition. They do have corner brackets for hanging bags. Basically, they install caddy corner (attaches to two walls, basically). That way, it takes up less space and theres no worrying about holes in the ceiling/the ceiling falling in on your head. Not to mention, you can just throw spackle over a hole on the wall, while its a lot harder to fix the ceiling.

I cant get a photo for you, cuz I'm at work, and my website selection is VERY limited here, but if you still havent found anything about it by the time I get home (appx 7:00am EST (-5 GMT)), I'll find one for ya.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanx for your assessment of my situation mate, with your advice and a post about wavemasters on page 12, i'll go for a basic punchbag. much appreciated.

the leather punchbag i was going to buy is only 52lb, thats half the suggested weight in past topics, do you have any recommended sites that selling those heavier bags in the UK?

I had a look at that corner bracket, looks good but its not exactly cheap compared to standard brackets, but does that corner bracket allow 360 degree working angle, I can't seem to work out if it does from the pictures of it. I'd probably go for a 4ft wall bracket or maybes do a bit of diy and find a metal rod to go from the top of one wall in my yard to the opposite wall and hang it from that.

also for the gloves to hit the bag with, i assume i buy bag gloves rather than training gloves right?

Thread Information