Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arum offers Floyd $8 mil for Margarito in Oct and...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Arum offers Floyd $8 mil for Margarito in Oct and...

ARUM OFFERS MAYWEATHER $8M TO FIGHT MARGARITO ON OCTOBER 7!
    By G. Leon

Moments ago promoter Bob Arum informed Boxingtalk.com that he has an $8M minimum guarantee for undefeated pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr to face WBO welterweight champion Antonio Margarito at the Thomas and Mack Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on HBO PPV on October 7. Obviously Arum has wanted a Mayweather-Margarito bout for quite some time, and with the Manny Pacquiao-Erik Morales rubbermatch scheduled to take place on November 18 he has more than one reason to prefer Mayweather-Margarito in October. More to follow, including a full one on one interview with Arum so stay tuned

Also, Calzaghe is pleading with Hopkins not to retire just yet. He says it can be a battle of Britain vs. Yanks.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Arum offers Floyd $8 mil for Margarito in Oct and...

Quote Originally Posted by tuckwopat

By G. Leon

Moments ago promoter Bob Arum informed Boxingtalk.com that he has an $8M minimum guarantee for undefeated pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr to face WBO welterweight champion Antonio Margarito at the Thomas and Mack Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on HBO PPV on October 7. Obviously Arum has wanted a Mayweather-Margarito bout for quite some time, and with the Manny Pacquiao-Erik Morales rubbermatch scheduled to take place on November 18 he has more than one reason to prefer Mayweather-Margarito in October. More to follow, including a full one on one interview with Arum so stay tuned

Also, Calzaghe is pleading with Hopkins not to retire just yet. He says it can be a battle of Britain vs. Yanks.

Floyd wants Oscar and will almost definately get him. Screw Calzaghe. Hopkins is stayin retired and goin out on a greater victory than if he beat Joe.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea Calzaghe's hand seems to be healing up fast init

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC for the news Tuck.I hope Oscar makes up his mind soon,and I think he won'[t take the fight so finaaaalllly we shall see Floyd Tony! As for JC and BHop,Hop said that Tarver would be his last fight unless there was $20million up for grabs and a JC fight would not be worth that much in my opinion,therefore,I don't really see it happening!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i also visted margarito's website, it also says it there about the 8 mil thing.

Before i thought Hatton was Floyds biggest threat, but after watching antonio, THE GUYS ONE RELENTLESS MACHINE. he has the power the style to SERIOUSLY TROUBLE MAYWEATHER, but dont forget how smart a fighter mayweather is. I will definetly advise ricky not to take this fight at welter. It'll be a clash of styles and the stronger, heavier puncher will win, both have good work rate!

Joe v bernard would be a great fight, but i think hopkins should stay retired cos he went ouT LIKE A KING!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart Lacy
    i also visted margarito's website, it also says it there about the 8 mil thing.

Before i thought Hatton was Floyds biggest threat, but after watching antonio, THE GUYS ONE RELENTLESS MACHINE. he has the power the style to SERIOUSLY TROUBLE MAYWEATHER, but dont forget how smart a fighter mayweather is. I will definetly advise ricky not to take this fight at welter. It'll be a clash of styles and the stronger, heavier puncher will win, both have good work rate!

Joe v bernard would be a great fight, but i think hopkins should stay retired cos he went ouT LIKE A KING!
    Cool click Lionheart,my boy Margarito is a beast! He's relentless,all offence,not bad D,good jab,can work the body and he wants Mayweather more than any of the others!!PBF is smart but@147,would he have the power to keep Tony off? I don't think he could but that's just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Certainly another very decent match up and would make for a real decent fight. I agree that Bernard should stay away from another fight as he did go out on top. Exciting times though in boxing and this Margarito Mayweather potential fight is another one to look forward to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    So you think Calzaghe thinks Johnson is harder fight than Hopkins?? He is calling him out for around September/October which is around 12/16 weeks away, so if it isnt healed by then i would be suprised

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It seems to me that Floyd isn't at all interested in that fight.

It's high-risk, low reward. Monetary the reward is good, what I mean is, a win over Margarito won't necesarily bolster his legacy in years to come.

Plus Antonio is a beast of a welterweight, and it'd be very tricky for even a master like Floyd to avoid him all night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckwopat

By G. Leon

Floyd wants Oscar and will almost definately get him. Screw Calzaghe. Hopkins is stayin retired and goin out on a greater victory than if he beat Joe.
    Oscar isn't fight this year, and PBF said he plans on fighting in November, which I think collides with another fight Arum has scheduled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983
    Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    So you think Calzaghe thinks Johnson is harder fight than Hopkins?? He is calling him out for around September/October which is around 12/16 weeks away, so if it isnt healed by then i would be suprised
    I'd rather see BHOP stay retired and Calzaghe fight Johnson anyway.
    Formerly LuciferTheGreat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    CC for the news Tuck.I hope Oscar makes up his mind soon,and I think he won'[t take the fight so finaaaalllly we shall see Floyd Tony! As for JC and BHop,Hop said that Tarver would be his last fight unless there was $20million up for grabs and a JC fight would not be worth that much in my opinion,therefore,I don't really see it happening!
    Oscar said that he's taking the rest of 2006 off and deciding next year if he's coming back (we all know you are prick). It looks like Hatton - Cotto in November. I'm gonna be disappointed in my boy PBF if he doesn't take the Tony fight. If he's looking at money, which is his #1 factor, then he should fight Tony. Why wait on Mosley or Gatti/Baldomir? Mosley is gonna command top dollar and PBF might only get 6 or 7 for that fight because Shane is gonna want 6 or 7 as well. Nobody's gonna give Mayweather 8 Mil to watch him beat up on Gatti again or fight gloryfied journeyman Baldy. Take the damn fight Floyd. I'm hoping he responds soon. Unless he fights Hatton there should be no excuse and there better not be a Mayweather - Sharmba Mitchell II (This time it's personal!!!). PBF should understand that every fight @ 147 is gonna be hard for him because he is a natural 135-140 pounder. If he wants to be great he'll take the hard fights, or he could run like Hatton back to 140.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Albsur,I know you are a big Floyd fan,and I am a Floyd fan too(like Tony more though),but you tell me,if Floyd does not fight Tony,don't you feel he is ducking him. I mean before,I could say,yeah Oscar is the bigger fight but now,Tony is by faaaar the bigger fight out of the ones availiable!! There is no way Hatton would him make him minimum $8 mill and neither would Baldozar OR Vargas or Mosley!! Tony is also by far the biggest threat too! What do you and all Floyd fans think if he does not take the fight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Albsur,I know you are a big Floyd fan,and I am a Floyd fan too(like Tony more though),but you tell me,if Floyd does not fight Tony,don't you feel he is ducking him. I mean before,I could say,yeah Oscar is the bigger fight but now,Tony is by faaaar the bigger fight out of the ones availiable!! There is no way Hatton would him make him minimum $8 mill and neither would Baldozar OR Vargas or Mosley!! Tony is also by far the biggest threat too! What do you and all Floyd fans think if he does not take the fight?
    If Floyd doesn't take this fight then I'm thinking that he is definitely ducking Tony. Floyd has said many times that Tony has never beat anyone and fighting Tony will give Floyd the biggest paycheck he has ever had and can get at the current moment. Those two factors make fighting Tony according to Floyd's own logic, easy money. I think PBF will win, just take the damn fight Floyd. If Floyd doesn't take the fight, then even I would admit that he straight up ducked Margarito.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by albsur2006
    If Floyd doesn't take this fight then I'm thinking that he is definitely ducking Tony. Floyd has said many times that Tony has never beat anyone and fighting Tony will give Floyd the biggest paycheck he has ever had and can get at the current moment. Those two factors make fighting Tony according to Floyd's own logic, easy money. I think PBF will win, just take the damn fight Floyd. If Floyd doesn't take the fight, then even I would admit that he straight up ducked Margarito.
    Dude,I know you like PBF ALOT,so you get a big fat CC from me. I have no problems with PBF fans except from the nut huggers who even if Floyd does not take the fight with Tony,will say he is not ducking him.Why not take a fight against a big slow guy for $8mill which is more than he will get for any other fight.

Thread Information