950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default No Oscar? No problem, PBF has plenty of options

www.doghouseboxing.com

By Aaron Imholte (June 22, 2006)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was going to be the old ‘Golden Boy’ versus the pound-for-pound champ in a mega-showdown of historic proportions, albeit for an alphabet belt at 154. Both Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Jr. could have made eight-figure paydays if this fight had gone off. Now with reports coming out of De La Hoya deciding not to fight the Pretty Boy boxing fans are left with a somewhat sour taste in their collective mouths.

Why does this have to be all bad news? Why can’t we spin this and make it bittersweet? Well that is what I’m here for, Mr. Positive; there is not a drop of cynicism in this guy. (And cue the sarcasm alarm.) On a serious note the evaporation of the De La Hoya-Mayweather Jr. blockbuster is actually quite thought provoking. Sure, neither man will be able to build onto already impressive legacies courtesy of the other, but for one pugilist, Mayweather, it is an opportunity to clean out a division and make his own mark on history. Here is a look at the now many doors open to Floyd as a result of Oscar’s decision to not make this fight.

Vs. Miguel Cotto: We never got too see the American Shane Mosely take on Puerto Rican sensation Felix Trinidad and we should not miss the same opportunity twice. After Miguel Cotto made the very game Paul Malignaggi’s face look damn near unrecognizable to even his own family, the excitement and expectations surrounding this guy, which have been building to huge proportions, may have boiled over in Madison Square Garden earlier this month. With a move to 147 almost necessary for Cotto’s body, a fight with Mayweather would be very exciting. Given Cotto’s popularity in New York’s Puerto Rican population, Floyd could stand to make a 10-million dollar payday for this fight. Result: Mayweather UD 116-112.

Vs. Ricky Hatton: The American-English showdown between Mayweather and Ricky Hatton has been hyped since Ricky Hatton out muscled and outworked Kostya Tszyu. Granted the fight has been put on the back burner due to Hatton’s struggle against Luis Collazo, it is the contrast of styles that make this bout so intriguing. Hatton, a straight forward pressure fighter who throws a lot of punches inside, could possibly give Floyd more problems than he can handle. Think his first fight with Jose Luis Castillo, 12 pounds heavier.

Or can Floyd make adjustments like he did in the rematch with Castillo and create enough distance between himself and the ‘Hitman’ and cruise to a victory on points. No matter what identity this fight takes one thing is certain, this fight makes mega-dollars and sense whether it be Vegas or Manchester. Result: Mayweather MD.

Vs. Paul Williams (late 2007): Mayweather may be faster, slicker, and a better technical boxer, but don’t tell me anyone who started their career at 130 wouldn’t struggle against a welterweight who stands six feet tall.

‘The Punisher’ is not only tall, is not only good at keeping his distance, but he can also throw 100 punches per round on
    a consistent basis as we saw against Walter Dario Matthysse. Floyd’s technical advantages and boxing smarts would be tested to their limits against a busy, tall, and young fighter who would be more than eager to knock off a superstar. This is not too say that Floyd is inferior to Williams in any department, but this is not Diego Corrales all over again. Corrales is rarely interested in using his height to keep opponents away, and how will Mayweather react when he has to be the aggressor, coming inside avoiding quick combinations at a rate of almost 35 punches per minute. Give Williams a few more fights against top level opposition and by the middle of 2007 this fight can be promoted properly into a Leonard-Hearns-esque fight of the 2000’s. Result: I give Williams a chance to pull off the upset.

Vs. Antonio Margarito: Mayweather already turned down eight million dollars to fight Tony in hopes to land a big money payday with De La Hoya. No Tony fans or Floyd haters... Floyd’s sole reason for turning it down was from fear of Margarito, and no ‘Pretty Boys’, Mayweather would not easily role over the tall slugger from Mexico. The ‘Tijuana Tornado’ might just touch down right on top of Floyd’s house and shatter that unbeaten record.

Margarito would apply pressure and his superior strength from the outset and really set a tempo that Mayweather would have trouble with. Several questions would be answered in this fight. Can Floyd take a punch from a big, strong 147 pounder? Can Tony rise to the occasion against A-level competition? Can Bob Arum scrounge up those 8 million dollars to make this fight happen? Result: In this scribes humble opinion the answers to these questions are respectively, I’m not so sure, probably, god I hope so. Margarito SD.

No matter what avenue Floyd takes as a result of Oscar’s decision, these fights need to happen, he should clean out welterweight or at least try, if for no other reason than to pad his checking account. Will we see a Mayweather itching to make history? Or a Mayweather determined to take the path of least resistance? Hopefully not the latter.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: No Oscar? No problem, PBF has plenty of options

I say make the Margarito fight....after all Why Not?

If Floyd wins he shuts many people up and if he loses it proves others right...

Floyd is now at 147...he should really fight Margarito, get it over and done with...

If Floyd really believes in himself it shouldnt be too hard to sign up for a comfy $8m

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

De La Hoya will fight Mayweather, trust me it's never been in doubt.

De La Hoya is just feigning retirement so he can lap up all the praise and listen to people urging him not to retire and telling him he's the only one who can challenge Floyd.

Seriously the guy is so regal it wouldn't suprise me at all if at home he sits on a golden throne with his belts draped over his body and mountains of dollar bills that completely cover the floor up to his knee caps, whilst his wife reclines on a golden sun lounger, and scantily clad maidens dressed like Ancient Egyptian sex slaves feed them both grapes and champagne.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo

De La Hoya is just feigning retirement so he can lap up all the praise and listen to people urging him not to retire and telling him he's the only one who can challenge Floyd.

Seriously the guy is so regal it wouldn't suprise me at all if at home he sits on a golden throne with his belts draped over his body and mountains of dollar bills that completely cover the floor up to his knee caps, whilst his wife reclines on a golden sun lounger, and scantily clad maidens dressed like Ancient Egyptian sex slaves feed them both grapes and champagne.
    the longer he leaves it the more certain I am that he loses...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

wife reclines on a golden sun lounger, and scantily clad maidens dressed like Ancient Egyptian sex slaves feed them both grapes and champagne.
    I could use some of that about now

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles

He already knows he loses. It's the millions he's going to make that is motivating him.

He's already worked out that he will lose on points, but give a courageous display that will endear him to his fans.

I bet he's already worked out his speech at the end of the fight.

Here, I'lll tell you it now just so you can all see.

Larry Merchant' 'Well Oscar, it was a great fight, you came up a little short but you gave one hell of showing'

Oscar,' You know what Larry, I had one hell of a ride, a brilliant career, He (Floyd) is one hell of a champion, I gave it everything I had. My heart was there for all to see, but tonight Larry, the body just wasn't able to finish the journey.

Larry, 'In the.......10 th round, Floyd caught you with a vicious shot to the body........You looked like you were in pain.....and it looked to me...and I'm sure the people watching on HBO.........that this was going to be another Hopkins and that you were going to.........quit.........or get stopped.........What kept you on your feet and able to continue......against the relentless punching from Mayweather.

Oscar, ' Larry you know what, when Bernard stopped me with that horrible bodyshot to my solar plexus I was embarrassed. .. I've lived with that ever since and I was determined to show my fans, and the millions watching on HBO, that I'm not a quitter. I dug deep, absorbed the pain, and you know.......just somehow kept going. I think I proved to everyone tonight that I am not a quitter...

Larry.' You know.....you are definitely not a quitter! Are you proud of your performance tonight Oscar?;

Oscar,' You know what Larry..............I am... I'm 34 years old and I've been a professional boxer a long time. People said I didn't have it anymore......and honestly........I questioned it myself at times.....My wife actually told me though that she belived in me, and that I could do this......and.you know Larry.. I didn't win but I think I showed all the people, all the unbelievers that I could still mix it with the best p4p fighter in the world right now......and...who knows....if I was a couple years younger... maybe...I could have beaten him...

Larry,' You know Oscar, you have every reason to be proud tonight....you gave a superb display....showing tremendous heart... and you have given so much to boxing and the people love you.....we love you.......Oscar I love you...

Oscar ' You know Larry that means so much to me. I've strived my whole career to live my life by example, and show people what they can achieve if they really believe in themselves. My biggest wish has always been that I could inspire people, especially young kids to believe in themselves and if my career and my performance tonight has shown to one kid, that they could do whatever it is in life that they desire, then my life will have been worthwile.

Larry', Wise and gracious words from you Oscar, as always. You are a true champion, a lion and we will miss you. The world will miss you, and you know........boxing will be somewhat.....more empty without you in it....

Oscar,' I feel that Larry, I really do. But although this is the end of the road for me as far as my boxing career is concerned, and this chapter in my life is finished, I promise my fans from all over the world, that you have not seen the last of me.................I would like to announce now Larry....my plans for the future...I want to open an academy for young people......somewhere where they can come....and get an education...and training...not in boxing...but in the heart...and soul..you know what I mean Larry? I want to make a difference in these kid's lives...I want to you know....empower these kids with a belief that they can do anything....and be anybody as long as they trust in themselves....amd you know live a good honest life with integrity and values....like me Larry.

Larry,' Well Oscar.....that sounds like an extraordinary passion you have there..to lift these children up, and to improve their lives....that there shows us and me....just what a wonderful human being you are...a true Saint...

'Oscar' Well thankyou Larry, but you know I never do these things for the recognition it will bring me. I just want to inspire...you know and make a difference....If in some small way this leads to my Canonnisation and Sainthood....well then I guess I would humbley bow to the wishes of the people.....but you know that is not why I do these things Larry.

Larry' Of course, we know Oscar, you are just an incredible human being. I heard talk before the fight. that you have plans to open a De La Hoya Shrine, where pilgrims can come and worship and bath in the Goldenboy Fountain of Cleansing. What can you tell me about this?

Oscar' Yes Larry, thats absolutely true. I am opening my own special Shrine, it's called the Goldenboy Fountain and..........yes people can come and be cleansed. I won't be there in person, but you know my spirit will be and by coming to my temple people can share in and be cleansed by my Holy Spirit. And you know the best thing Larry, is this is all free. It won't cost people a penny to come to my shrine and seek my blessing and cleansing. Just a small donation to my Goldenboy Foundation..I think reasonably around $1000 dollars per person per visit to the cleansing fountain is all people will need to bring. .............And for extra empowerment and to help spread my message of love and integrity I will have videos and memorabillia for sale, at excellent prices so people can take home my wisdom and love and share it with their freinds and family.

Larry' This sounds amazing Oscar, that you are so willing to give up of your time and resources to help others is spectacular..I am lost for words...

Oscar' Why thankyou Larry, and actually I have an invitation to you and the HBO team. I would like you to be present for the opening of my Shrine, and I would like the people around the world to be able to see this. That's why I'd love to offer you the chance for HBO to screen the opening of my Shrine live, on PPV, so that people can see this momentous thing.

Larry' This is marvellous news Oscar, I would love to be present for this event, and I know that in backroom negotiations earlier today, HBO agreed to broadcast this spectactular once in a lifetime event.

Larry to the fans ' Now for all of you watching at home, who are desperate to hear more about this event, we can tell you that HBO will be there, live at the opening of this Shrine, and that it WILL be on PPV! It will beamed live on Christmas Day, and for just $59 dollars you can watch this great show, and it will be spectacular.......We can tell you now that a host of famous people will be there, including the Pope, who is coming to sanctify and bless this Shrine and to declare it an offical Pilgramage Shrine.....It will be spectacular...

Larry to Oscar,' You know finally in closing Oscar, I want to thank you, both personally and on behalf of the whole world for your boxing career, the joy you have brought to billions of people around the world. We all love you and want to wish you the very very best in your future..........God bless you,, Saint Oscar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles

He already knows he loses. It's the millions he's going to make that is motivating him.

He's already worked out that he will lose on points, but give a courageous display that will endear him to his fans.

I bet he's already worked out his speech at the end of the fight.

Here, I'lll tell you it now just so you can all see.

Larry Merchant' 'Well Oscar, it was a great fight, you came up a little short but you gave one hell of showing'

Oscar,' You know what Larry, I had one hell of a ride, a brilliant career, He (Floyd) is one hell of a champion, I gave it everything I had. My heart was there for all to see, but tonight Larry, the body just wasn't able to finish the journey.

Larry, 'In the.......10 th round, Floyd caught you with a vicious shot to the body........You looked like you were in pain.....and it looked to me...and I'm sure the people watching on HBO.........that this was going to be another Hopkins and that you were going to.........quit.........or get stopped.........What kept you on your feet and able to continue......against the relentless punching from Mayweather.

Oscar, ' Larry you know what, when Bernard stopped me with that horrible bodyshot to my solar plexus I was embarrassed. .. I've lived with that ever since and I was determined to show my fans, and the millions watching on HBO, that I'm not a quitter. I dug deep, absorbed the pain, and you know.......just somehow kept going. I think I proved to everyone tonight that I am not a quitter...

Larry.' You know.....you are definitely not a quitter! Are you proud of your performance tonight Oscar?;

Oscar,' You know what Larry..............I am... I'm 34 years old and I've been a professional boxer a long time. People said I didn't have it anymore......and honestly........I questioned it myself at times.....My wife actually told me though that she belived in me, and that I could do this......and.you know Larry.. I didn't win but I think I showed all the people, all the unbelievers that I could still mix it with the best p4p fighter in the world right now......and...who knows....if I was a couple years younger... maybe...I could have beaten him...

Larry,' You know Oscar, you have every reason to be proud tonight....you gave a superb display....showing tremendous heart... and you have given so much to boxing and the people love you.....we love you.......Oscar I love you...

Oscar ' You know Larry that means so much to me. I've strived my whole career to live my life by example, and show people what they can achieve if they really believe in themselves. My biggest wish has always been that I could inspire people, especially young kids to believe in themselves and if my career and my performance tonight has shown to one kid, that they could do whatever it is in life that they desire, then my life will have been worthwile.

Larry', Wise and gracious words from you Oscar, as always. You are a true champion, a lion and we will miss you. The world will miss you, and you know........boxing will be somewhat.....more empty without you in it....

Oscar,' I feel that Larry, I really do. But although this is the end of the road for me as far as my boxing career is concerned, and this chapter in my life is finished, I promise my fans from all over the world, that you have not seen the last of me.................I would like to announce now Larry....my plans for the future...I want to open an academy for young people......somewhere where they can come....and get an education...and training...not in boxing...but in the heart...and soul..you know what I mean Larry? I want to make a difference in these kid's lives...I want to you know....empower these kids with a belief that they can do anything....and be anybody as long as they trust in themselves....amd you know live a good honest life with integrity and values....like me Larry.

Larry,' Well Oscar.....that sounds like an extraordinary passion you have there..to lift these children up, and to improve their lives....that there shows us and me....just what a wonderful human being you are...a true Saint...

'Oscar' Well thankyou Larry, but you know I never do these things for the recognition it will bring me. I just want to inspire...you know and make a difference....If in some small way this leads to my Canonnisation and Sainthood....well then I guess I would humbley bow to the wishes of the people.....but you know that is not why I do these things Larry.

Larry' Of course, we know Oscar, you are just an incredible human being. I heard talk before the fight. that you have plans to open a De La Hoya Shrine, where pilgrims can come and worship and bath in the Goldenboy Fountain of Cleansing. What can you tell me about this?

Oscar' Yes Larry, thats absolutely true. I am opening my own special Shrine, it's called the Goldenboy Fountain and..........yes people can come and be cleansed. I won't be there in person, but you know my spirit will be and by coming to my temple people can share in and be cleansed by my Holy Spirit. And you know the best thing Larry, is this is all free. It won't cost people a penny to come to my shrine and seek my blessing and cleansing. Just a small donation to my Goldenboy Foundation..I think reasonably around $1000 dollars per person per visit to the cleansing fountain is all people will need to bring. .............And for extra empowerment and to help spread my message of love and integrity I will have videos and memorabillia for sale, at excellent prices so people can take home my wisdom and love and share it with their freinds and family.

Larry' This sounds amazing Oscar, that you are so willing to give up of your time and resources to help others is spectacular..I am lost for words...

Oscar' Why thankyou Larry, and actually I have an invitation to you and the HBO team. I would like you to be present for the opening of my Shrine, and I would like the people around the world to be able to see this. That's why I'd love to offer you the chance for HBO to screen the opening of my Shrine live, on PPV, so that people can see this momentous thing.

Larry' This is marvellous news Oscar, I would love to be present for this event, and I know that in backroom negotiations earlier today, HBO agreed to broadcast this spectactular once in a lifetime event.

Larry to the fans ' Now for all of you watching at home, who are desperate to hear more about this event, we can tell you that HBO will be there, live at the opening of this Shrine, and that it WILL be on PPV! It will beamed live on Christmas Day, and for just $59 dollars you can watch this great show, and it will be spectacular.......We can tell you now that a host of famous people will be there, including the Pope, who is coming to sanctify and bless this Shrine and to declare it an offical Pilgramage Shrine.....It will be spectacular...

Larry to Oscar,' You know finally in closing Oscar, I want to thank you, both personally and on behalf of the whole world for your boxing career, the joy you have brought to billions of people around the world. We all love you and want to wish you the very very best in your future..........God bless you,, Saint Oscar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bilbo that was genius

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gbrandon

bilbo that was genius
    Cheers dude, I wasted way too much time writing that though :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC Miles,nice article and Bilbo,I love your posts about this whole saga,CC too brother!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    CC Miles,nice article and Bilbo,I love your posts about this whole saga,CC too brother!
    Thanks Game, I'll never stop hating or writing until I've exposed him as the master manipulator he actually is.

Thread Information