Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How does Winky rank among all-time greats

I just wanted to know from the educated members on this post,how they feel about Winkys rankings compared to the all time greats.After saturday nights performance the way he kept coming forward keeping the pressure on J.T it made me wonder who in the hell could have beaten this guy convincingly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How does Winky rank among all-time greats

B-Hop, or any other fighter that would have attempted to circle him. Being the bigger man Taylor should have been happy that Winky was coming forward, he just didn't know how to capitalize on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tuckwopat

B-Hop, or any other fighter that would have attempted to circle him. Being the bigger man Taylor should have been happy that Winky was coming forward, he just didn't know how to capitalize on it.
    all time greats that would beat Wright ? Haglar & SRL smoke him. RJJ back in the day would have got him, Taylor in a year or so will do it more impressive. Hopkins, James Toney , many many more - IMO. Don't get me wrong I think Wright is a great fighter ! I am a huge Winky Wright fan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wright has the style to frustrate a lot of great fighters not to mention he has one of the most underated chins, I believe as a jr middleweight he is one of the best but when you put him in with midleweights then a lot of greats might have his number
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Hall of Famers and all time greats is being thrown around alot and way too easy these days
    Does Winky deserve to be there? In my opinion NO, he is an excellent fighter and will be remembered but i cant put him the list with the likes of Hagler, Robinson,Tyson, Ali, Foreman so on......

the only present date fighters at the moment would be Bhop, Jones, Oscar and maybe 1 or 2 more
    maybe im wrong but let me know

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LarryB
    I think Hall of Famers and all time greats is being thrown around alot and way too easy these days
    Does Winky deserve to be there? In my opinion NO, he is an excellent fighter and will be remembered but i cant put him the list with the likes of Hagler, Robinson,Tyson, Ali, Foreman so on......

the only present date fighters at the moment would be Bhop, Jones, Oscar and maybe 1 or 2 more
    Lot more then that. Tszyu, Barrera, Morales, Castillo, Calzaghe and Arce all deserve to get in in my opinion. I'll gladly make a case for each of them if you wish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I feel that people underrate fighters nowadays and he would have done fine against almost any fighter p4p that ever foughten except maybe RJJ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SecondRoundKO

Lot more then that. Tszyu, Barrera, Morales, Castillo, Calzaghe and Arce all deserve to get in in my opinion. I'll gladly make a case for each of them if you wish.
    Good call on Tszyu Barrera and Morales, Not sure about Castillo and Calzaghe
    dont get me wrong Joe is undefeated but hasnt fought the opposition that Hagler,Hearns,Duran and Leonard had in their day
    needs another few more defining fights for me to be honest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SecondRoundKO

Good call on Tszyu Barrera and Morales, Not sure about Castillo and Calzaghe
    dont get me wrong Joe is undefeated but hasnt fought the opposition that Hagler,Hearns,Duran and Leonard had in their day
    needs another few more defining fights for me to be honest
    I think that Castillo is borderline, it will depend on who he gets to fight @ 140 and how he does against them. I would love to see Calzaghe in a couple more big fights. I think he needs to unify and then move up to 175 to really cement himself. He showed how great he can be against Lacy, but can he do that against everyboyd else? I would love to see it.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is it me or is it that people who are retired or dead are so much better than the ones that are still actually doing the sport .....YES ....I AM pro winky . ...so my opinions will be swayed ....But I also understand boxing and I don't see any fighter past-or present "SMOKING HIM" Its so easy to say what-they would have done....Heard it-all before and still no one has ever beaten him convincingly in 54 fights Who else can boast that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SRL,
    Hagler,
    Hearns,
    Monzon,
    Robinson,
    B-Hop,
    RJJ
    These would all beat Winky imo and dont get me wrong i really rate Wright i just think at middle these are better fighters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fatsandy
    I just wanted to know from the educated members on this post,how they feel about Winkys rankings compared to the all time greats.After saturday nights performance the way he kept coming forward keeping the pressure on J.T it made me wonder who in the hell could have beaten this guy convincingly?
    he might fall into the top 15.....might...there have been some hellacious fighters in the middle weight division.....Hagler, B-HOP, Leonard, Hearns, RJJ, TONEY to name a few and all are better IMO....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu
    Quote Originally Posted by fatsandy
    he might fall into the top 15.....might...there have been some hellacious fighters in the middle weight division.....Hagler, B-HOP, Leonard, Hearns, RJJ, TONEY to name a few and all are better IMO....
    Well said that man....Clicked ya.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wright all time great? Those words don't go together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So I guess its safe to say every time Winky has fought ....all you boxing geniuses knew would go in and perform at the level he always has-and would be winning like he has been.... But all the great retired fighters would beat him (give me a break) He has showed up to every fight and has NEVER laid down.At worst he lacks power.......that's all any critic can say about Winky Wright . .....there are many other categories that a boxer can be judged in.In any other category he's just as good or better than any past or present ....

Thread Information