First off some details about myself. Im 6'1", 14 stone 4 as of yesterday (I can easily get down to 13 when more in shape and could possibly push a bit more, never tried). Ive been boxing training solid for a month or so now (used to have rugby season get in the way and only went sporadically but now ive been boxing solid) and am now getting in the ring regularly, although more with coaches working me on pads rather than any heavy sparring, I have never fought an amateur fight.

Right now the question.

I can generate what I consider to be a fair amount of power, being a second row in rugby, that was my job. My coaches have been working on my technique to make sure I produce the maximum amount (the basics stuff). However, I have realise that due to my weight, Im likely to be fighting at Light Heavyweight when in shape (Super Middleweight if I really push and am lucky) and the guys, especially at my gym at this weight hit a lot harder than me.

Im looking to get extra power and you usually here two arguements.

1) Keep up your training, do lots of hard work in every session, especially on the heavy bags and the power will come to you.

2) Hit the weights.

Im skeptical of hitting the weights hard because I dont want to end up with a bodybuilder's physique and have less movement (Im not exactly light footed at the moment anyway). If I did decide to hit the weights however, I would be instructed by a former world champ weightlifter and boxer (not a champ) who knows his stuff so I wouldnt be doing anything incorrectly.

Just wanted to know what people think would be the best course of action and what they have found most beneficial.

Thanks in advance guys.