Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: To weight train or not to weight train, that is the question.....

Share/Bookmark
    AC-Cobra Guest

Default To weight train or not to weight train, that is the question.....

First off some details about myself. Im 6'1", 14 stone 4 as of yesterday (I can easily get down to 13 when more in shape and could possibly push a bit more, never tried). Ive been boxing training solid for a month or so now (used to have rugby season get in the way and only went sporadically but now ive been boxing solid) and am now getting in the ring regularly, although more with coaches working me on pads rather than any heavy sparring, I have never fought an amateur fight.

Right now the question.

I can generate what I consider to be a fair amount of power, being a second row in rugby, that was my job. My coaches have been working on my technique to make sure I produce the maximum amount (the basics stuff). However, I have realise that due to my weight, Im likely to be fighting at Light Heavyweight when in shape (Super Middleweight if I really push and am lucky) and the guys, especially at my gym at this weight hit a lot harder than me.

Im looking to get extra power and you usually here two arguements.

1) Keep up your training, do lots of hard work in every session, especially on the heavy bags and the power will come to you.

2) Hit the weights.

Im skeptical of hitting the weights hard because I dont want to end up with a bodybuilder's physique and have less movement (Im not exactly light footed at the moment anyway). If I did decide to hit the weights however, I would be instructed by a former world champ weightlifter and boxer (not a champ) who knows his stuff so I wouldnt be doing anything incorrectly.

Just wanted to know what people think would be the best course of action and what they have found most beneficial.

Thanks in advance guys.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: To weight train or not to weight train, that is the question.....

I'd say it really depends on how you box and how your body will take the weights.

If you feel you NEED power for your whole game to work then yeah go for the weights but if you feel you have enough speed and technique to be able to box well i'd say just work hard every session.

I've been doing weights properlly for the past couple of weeks and i can say i dont feel that much stronger in the sense that i feel like i can punch any harder then before and my arms have just defined rather then got any bigger, but thats down to my muscle tissue.

I'd also say work on technique, you say you only been boxing solid for only a month, it will take longer then that to iron everything out. Develop new ways in which you feel your punches have more impact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be successful with wieght lifting and boxing you have to know the balance the balance of when to
    1) Go heavy or

2) Go explosive

For boxing you wanna work alot of Fast twitch muscle fibers like a sprinter has as a opposed to a Power lifter who has alot of slow twitch muscle fibers

Fast twitch muscle fibers are episotic muscle fibers that are able to generate an explosive amount of power very quickly, fast reaction and generate speed.

Slow twitch muscle fibers are also explosive but not as fast reacting but are more for endurance and and generating power in a gradual rather than explosive way

To Get fast twitch muscle fibers you need to lift high reps explosively not slow in motion which generally makes your muscle grow.
    So if you wieght lift slow and controlled it works best for size
    If you lift faster and more explosive it works for strength more effectively

for boxing you should do alot of explosive workout training like Squats, dead lifts, Power cleans and snatches, Lunges etc

I would recommend shrugs and upright rows for your Traps (HEAVY) , Shoulder presses(heavy), Lateral raises, front delt raises, rear delt raises ( all LIGHT wieght)
    ALot of training for Back so Lat Pulls( heavy) Bent over Rows (Heavy), Tricep training because they extend you arms so are very important in punch So, Dips, Tricep Extension etc, Biceps are used for pulling so there not so important in Boxing more beach muscles

If you wanna keep your speed while lifting make sure you stretch alot and do alot of SHADOW BOXING Do ALOT of rope training IF you follow this I bet youll Be STRONGER and FASTER than EVER.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No matter what weight division weight training is beneficial but not at the expense of your normal boxing training.Basically it's all about balancing your workout plan.Sit down and think about what you need to work on in the ring.Every individual would be different and have a workout plan specific to their needs.Floyd Mayweather is a speed fighter primarily, but he also has power.So Floyd works a lot more on skill training than weight training.Whereas, Ricky Hatton is a pressure fighter who bangs and also has stamina, so Ricky hits the weights 4 times a week and does roadwork 6 days a week.So basically whatever work you put in is what you get out.But remember Sparring is the most important training as a fighter.There are fighters out there who do nothing but spar, nothing more nothing less, a la James Toney.James Toney has incredible boxing skills but he always could have been in better shape.So it's Checks and balances my man.Good luck with your training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AC-Cobra
    First off some details about myself. Im 6'1", 14 stone 4 as of yesterday (I can easily get down to 13 when more in shape and could possibly push a bit more, never tried). Ive been boxing training solid for a month or so now (used to have rugby season get in the way and only went sporadically but now ive been boxing solid) and am now getting in the ring regularly, although more with coaches working me on pads rather than any heavy sparring, I have never fought an amateur fight.

Right now the question.

I can generate what I consider to be a fair amount of power, being a second row in rugby, that was my job. My coaches have been working on my technique to make sure I produce the maximum amount (the basics stuff). However, I have realise that due to my weight, Im likely to be fighting at Light Heavyweight when in shape (Super Middleweight if I really push and am lucky) and the guys, especially at my gym at this weight hit a lot harder than me.

Im looking to get extra power and you usually here two arguements.

1) Keep up your training, do lots of hard work in every session, especially on the heavy bags and the power will come to you.

2) Hit the weights.

Im skeptical of hitting the weights hard because I dont want to end up with a bodybuilder's physique and have less movement (Im not exactly light footed at the moment anyway). If I did decide to hit the weights however, I would be instructed by a former world champ weightlifter and boxer (not a champ) who knows his stuff so I wouldnt be doing anything incorrectly.

Just wanted to know what people think would be the best course of action and what they have found most beneficial.

Thanks in advance guys.
    Your right to be skeptical about hitting the weights !

AC-Cobra Guest

Thanks for the responses guys.

all round

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lords very good sound advice cc
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Lords very good sound advice cc
    Thanks bro!

AC-Cobra Guest

Yeah found tha helpful Lords.

The main problem I saw was, I know Im never gonna be light on my feet, Im gonna have to be able to trade if Im gonna be serious about this.

I used to do a lot more weight training as well when I was solely playing rugby.

I think Ill stick to stuff using my own body weight until my technique is at least up to a decent level.

Thanks again guys.

Thread Information