Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freddie Roach/Steve Collins on a Jones Jr/Collins fight (recent quotes)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Freddie Roach/Steve Collins on a Jones Jr/Collins fight (recent quotes)

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryB
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    WWatt I wonder if you actually believe this garbage... Steve F****** Collins would "break his heart"" A PRIME ROY JONES JR..... Jesus christ, he lost in his prime to Reggie Johnson, Kambalay, and McCallum handed him his a** probably like Roy would have but worse.. He got some good timing in his career catching Eubank and Benn on the way out, Eubank was not in the best shape of his life since 1990 he was never the same after the Watson fights anyways, he had been in many very close boring decision fights leading up to facing Collins... And Freddie Roach is a good trainer im sure, but he's taken too many shots to the head period.
    Pure bolocks, McCallum certainly did not hand collins his a**. He admitted no money would be worth a rematch.
    il be the first to admit that Collins style isnt easy on the eye as others in his division at the time but its was effective.
    I dont know many other boxers tougher than this guy and he would never run away from no one

Steve Collins was great for boxing. he went to the states to learn his trade and took the hard fights and never ducked anybody.
    stood toe to toe with the hardest punchers in Benn and Eubank and no one ever stopped him.
    Give the man his props, I bet you have seen hardly any of his fights,
    I am not saying he would beaten roy but roy certainly had never fought anyone like collins at that point of his career.
    Roy only took east fights and thats why this fight never happened
    collins retired champ which is rare these days
    And yes I saw his fight with Benn, the first one at least, and laughed my a** off at the thought of either of those two beating Roy Jones Junior back then, like I have heard so many Brits say on here. Ridiculous.
    Thats like how I laugh my a** off at people that watch Roy Jones Jr,now,getting knocked spark out by pony Tarver and an ancient journeyman yet they think he'd beat Joe Calzaghe. Ridiculous.
    Mate how is it ridiculous??

The guy was 37 years old im sorry but a prime RJJ beats all the recent Brits of his generation, RJJ schooled Toney and Bernard Hopkins, so again please tell me again how is it ridiculous to think that?
    Hillbilly boy was comparing Benn in the Collins fight and laughing his ass off at the thought of him beating Jones back then. Benn was just a "little bit" past his best. Get me?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Freddie Roach/Steve Collins on a Jones Jr/Collins fight (recent quotes)

WWatt I wonder if you actually believe this garbage... Steve F****** Collins would "break his heart"" A PRIME ROY JONES JR..... Jesus christ, he lost in his prime to Reggie Johnson, Kambalay, and McCallum handed him his a** probably like Roy would have but worse.. He got some good timing in his career catching Eubank and Benn on the way out, Eubank was not in the best shape of his life since 1990 he was never the same after the Watson fights anyways, he had been in many very close boring decision fights leading up to facing Collins... And Freddie Roach is a good trainer im sure, but he's taken too many shots to the head period.
    Pure bolocks, McCallum certainly did not hand collins his a**. He admitted no money would be worth a rematch.
    il be the first to admit that Collins style isnt easy on the eye as others in his division at the time but its was effective.
    I dont know many other boxers tougher than this guy and he would never run away from no one

Steve Collins was great for boxing. he went to the states to learn his trade and took the hard fights and never ducked anybody.
    stood toe to toe with the hardest punchers in Benn and Eubank and no one ever stopped him.
    I am not saying he would beaten roy but roy certainly had never fought anyone like collins at that point of his career.
    I'm sure you Brits love Collins and that he was a blood and guts fighter, but Roy fought better competition, and was in another league PERIOD. And yes I saw his fight with Benn, the first one at least, and laughed my a** off at the thought of either of those two beating Roy Jones Junior back then, like I have heard so many Brits say on here. Ridiculous.
    Yes Hulk as WWatt pointed out he was Irish so there goes your point.
    Its all good saying that Roy would have beaten Collins but the fact is Collins wanted one more big fight before he retired and Jones was that fight.Collins had beaten everyone else

collins said he would go the states to fight him but Roy didnt take the fight because Collins didnt have a big enough profile in the states to get the money Roy wanted for the big risk and thats is why he turned him down.

So Roy was afraid to fight him as he knew that Collins was a hard B****** and a hard fight
    he could get paid just a little less to fight bums as he was the main attraction back then.he had no interest in fighting the best which pissed me off about him and now he has been exposed.

Steve was downhearted and realised it wasnt going to happen so he retired
    it means fook all to say roy would have beat him cos he was too scared in the end

Larry mate, Steve Collins was the fucking WBO champion which at the time was basically a notch up from the European Title, you say RJJ had no intrest in fighting the best? James Toney and Bernard Hopkins to name but two ring any bells?? Why the fuck would RJJ not want to fight Steve Collins?? The guy just had a big heart RJJ would of made him look so silly, it is so ridiculous to think roy would be scared of Steve fucking Collins??

What you have tio understand that in Britain its a a big market in itself, just like Eubank once said why go to America? When he can stay here make shit loads of cash for minimul risk??

Its the same with Calzaghe, he hasnt fought anyone because the big boys in America can stay home fight easier fights for more money and the same with Joe he can stay in the uk and fight for more money. If the money is right where they both are paid shit loads of cash the fioghts will happen but a Steve Collin RJJ fight didnt make that sort of money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WWatt
    I personally think Jones would of played with Collins and stopped him on cuts if anything.

I give Benn about a 60/40 chance of KO'ing Jones (only his dodgy jaw lets him down), and I think Eubank can give Jones some fits.
    Jones beats them all.
    No, he doesn't.

Benn knocks him out, and Eubank takes him on points if he was in the shape he was in for the Wharton fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I personally think Jones would of played with Collins and stopped him on cuts if anything.

I give Benn about a 60/40 chance of KO'ing Jones (only his dodgy jaw lets him down), and I think Eubank can give Jones some fits.
    Jones beats them all.
    No, he doesn't.

Benn knocks him out, and Eubank takes him on points if he was in the shape he was in for the Wharton fight.
    Kid yourself all you want mate, but Benn would look silly against RJJ, and Eubank wouldnt do enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jones beats them all.
    No, he doesn't.

Kid yourself all you want mate, but Benn would look silly against RJJ, and Eubank wouldnt do enough.
    I'm not kidding myself, if you can't take the Dark Destroyer's punch then you are going to get knocked out because he will hit you, it's as simple as that. And Benn wouldn't be punching 13 stone like he was with Morgan, Piper, Galvano, Gent and Eubank, Jones has a small skeleton. Neither would Benn be trying to out-box Jones like he did with Amparo, Williams and Wharton, and neither would there be crowd trouble to lose Benn his concentration like there was with Giminez/Ferreyra.

Eubank proved against Wharton that when he prepared properly, he could maintain his work for the full 12. And Eubank only ever had trouble when pressured, Jones was not a natural pressure fighter. Nobody got the better of Eubank at a slow pace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sure you Brits love Collins and that he was a blood and guts fighter, but Roy fought better competition, and was in another league PERIOD. And yes I saw his fight with Benn, the first one at least, and laughed my a** off at the thought of either of those two beating Roy Jones Junior back then, like I have heard so many Brits say on here. Ridiculous.
    Its all good saying that Roy would have beaten Collins but the fact is Collins wanted one more big fight before he retired and Jones was that fight.Collins had beaten everyone else

collins said he would go the states to fight him but Roy didnt take the fight because Collins didnt have a big enough profile in the states to get the money Roy wanted for the big risk and thats is why he turned him down.

So Roy was afraid to fight him as he knew that Collins was a hard B****** and a hard fight
    he could get paid just a little less to fight bums as he was the main attraction back then.he had no interest in fighting the best which pissed me off about him and now he has been exposed.

it means fook all to say roy would have beat him cos he was too scared in the end

Larry mate, Steve Collins was the F****** WBO champion which at the time was basically a notch up from the European Title, you say RJJ had no intrest in fighting the best? James Toney and Bernard Hopkins to name but two ring any bells?? Why the F*** would RJJ not want to fight Steve Collins?? The guy just had a big heart RJJ would of made him look so silly, it is so ridiculous to think roy would be scared of Steve F****** Collins??

What you have tio understand that in Britain its a a big market in itself, just like Eubank once said why go to America? When he can stay here make S*** loads of cash for minimul risk??

Its the same with Calzaghe, he hasnt fought anyone because the big boys in America can stay home fight easier fights for more money and the same with Joe he can stay in the uk and fight for more money. If the money is right where they both are paid S*** loads of cash the fioghts will happen but a Steve Collin RJJ fight didnt make that sort of money.

Skel everyone knows that Bernard Hopkins improved vastly later in his career well after the jones fight.
    Toney is not strong puncher and roy just moved around him all night
    Jones has shown he has no chin, this has always been the case its only the last few fights that he has been caught.
    Collins, eubank and Benn would have put him to sleep with one good shot
    Roy was one who didnt want the fight, he could have taken it and proven he wasnt afraid of european boxers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Larry mate, Steve Collins was the F****** WBO champion which at the time was basically a notch up from the European Title, you say RJJ had no intrest in fighting the best? James Toney and Bernard Hopkins to name but two ring any bells?? Why the F*** would RJJ not want to fight Steve Collins?? The guy just had a big heart RJJ would of made him look so silly, it is so ridiculous to think roy would be scared of Steve F****** Collins??

What you have tio understand that in Britain its a a big market in itself, just like Eubank once said why go to America? When he can stay here make S*** loads of cash for minimul risk??

Its the same with Calzaghe, he hasnt fought anyone because the big boys in America can stay home fight easier fights for more money and the same with Joe he can stay in the uk and fight for more money. If the money is right where they both are paid S*** loads of cash the fioghts will happen but a Steve Collin RJJ fight didnt make that sort of money.

Skel everyone knows that Bernard Hopkins improved vastly later in his career well after the jones fight.
    Toney is not strong puncher and roy just moved around him all night
    Jones has shown he has no chin, this has always been the case its only the last few fights that he has been caught.
    Collins, eubank and Benn would have put him to sleep with one good shot
    Roy was one who didnt want the fight, he could have taken it and proven he wasnt afraid of european boxers
    Toney aint a strong puncher What Toney fights have you seen?? Trust me he has some knockout power. Collins would of put Jones to sleep?? Your right he proabably would of with his style.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And yes I saw his fight with Benn, the first one at least, and laughed my a** off at the thought of either of those two beating Roy Jones Junior back then, like I have heard so many Brits say on here. Ridiculous.
    Thats like how I laugh my a** off at people that watch Roy Jones Jr,now,getting knocked spark out by pony Tarver and an ancient journeyman yet they think he'd beat Joe Calzaghe. Ridiculous.

The guy was 37 years old im sorry but a prime RJJ beats all the recent Brits of his generation, RJJ schooled Toney and Bernard Hopkins, so again please tell me again how is it ridiculous to think that?
    Jones JR did not school Hopkins

Jones won a pretty intriguing contest IMO...

El Kabong Guest

If you ask anyone from England Roy was scared to fight anyone and it never changes, it's not Eubank was scared of Roy or Roy was too young to fight a prime Eubank or the near death of Roy's friend could have made him wary of fighting Nigel Benn etc.

Just a bunch of people who like their home fighters, nothing wrong with it but be realistic....Steve Collins?

This is where the tension and friction begin and the fun of posting ends

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hillbilly boy was comparing Benn in the Collins fight and laughing his ass off at the thought of him beating Jones back then. Benn was just a "little bit" past his best. Get me?
    Some of you Brits can be so ridiculous some times. Its great to love your fighters and back your favorites. But you also have to be realistic sometimes. I wasn't with Mayorga agains Delahoya and paid for it I guess you could say. And "hillbilly boy" which, I dunno where you got that from, laughed at BOTH Benn and Collins. Neither would have posed much of a threat to Roy that night. And if Benn was such a bum by that time, then why do you guys give Collins ANY credit for beating him? You can't have it both ways guys. Roy is an all time great, a legend, and was P4P best in the world for nearly a decade. Collin, Benn and the boys were very good SMWs in England. That is all folks. And they fought for the damn WBO fukin title. WBO! I mean its not like they had the IBF or WBC straps over there and Jones didn't wanna go get em, that would be a valid argument. But WBO is the lesser of the four belts, for sure. The way I see it Jones beat James Toney for the real title, and he was a better fighter than Benn, Eubank or Collins.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh come on guys,there is noooo fwooking way Steve Collins outs up a challenge to RJJ,we are talking about a guy who is (based on pure talent) P4P top 3!! No one was close to him and I HIGHLY doubt he ducked anyone in his prime because he was just soooo superior! The questions about his chin have no relevance here,before Jones moved,I'm sure he got caought a few times by Toney and a few others and took the shots well. I think moving up and down in weight had an adverse effect on his punch resistance. Oh and to whoever said Toney wasn't a strong puncher,I suggest you watch some of his fights!! Up uintil he fought RJJ,he was known for his punching power and I'm sure his nickname"lights out" was related to his power too!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some of you Brits can be so ridiculous some times. Its great to love your fighters and back your favorites. But you also have to be realistic sometimes. I wasn't with Mayorga agains Delahoya and paid for it I guess you could say. And "hillbilly boy" which, I dunno where you got that from, laughed at BOTH Benn and Collins. Neither would have posed much of a threat to Roy that night. And if Benn was such a bum by that time, then why do you guys give Collins ANY credit for beating him? You can't have it both ways guys. Roy is an all time great, a legend, and was P4P best in the world for nearly a decade. Collin, Benn and the boys were very good SMWs in England. That is all folks. And they fought for the damn WBO fukin title. WBO! I mean its not like they had the IBF or WBC straps over there and Jones didn't wanna go get em, that would be a valid argument. But WBO is the lesser of the four belts, for sure. The way I see it Jones beat James Toney for the real title, and he was a better fighter than Benn, Eubank or Collins.
    The "hillbilly boy" reference was for your silly constant generalisation crap. I never said anything about whether Collins or Benn would of beat Jones etc...I was just merely pointing out your obvious naivety and unworldliness of judging and laughing at a fighter well past his best.

The crap about the titles is totally embarrassing

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The "hillbilly boy" reference was for your silly constant generalisation crap. I never said anything about whether Collins or Benn would of beat Jones etc...I was just merely pointing out your obvious naivety and unworldliness of judging and laughing at a fighter well past his best.

The WBO has always been a lesser title bud, deal with it. And like I said I was laughin at BOTH Collins and Benn. I'm sure that in his old age Benn had just developed that leaping in with wild right hands nasty habit of his, huh? That woulda got him a good ass kicking against Roy Jones, and probably dropped with a Combo, starting with a lighting fast left hook to his head.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hillbilly boy was comparing Benn in the Collins fight and laughing his a** off at the thought of him beating Jones back then. Benn was just a "little bit" past his best. Get me?

The WBO has always been a lesser title bud, deal with it. And like I said I was laughin at BOTH Collins and Benn. I'm sure that in his old age Benn had just developed that leaping in with wild right hands nasty habit of his, huh? That woulda got him a good a** kicking against Roy Jones, and probably dropped with a Combo, starting with a lighting fast left hook to his head.
    I think you'll find that Benn did acquire the WBC super middleweight belt and that his second fight with Eubank was a unification fight. Though that's irrelevant.
    For one reason or another, Jones did not fight the guys in question, and their fans have just as much right as Jones' fans to speculate how those fights might have gone.

There's a lot of feeling nowadays that Jones' is career isn't what it's made out to be. He did beat the main man (Toney) at supermiddle, but after that he did fight handpicked opponents which made him look good. Hopkins is the other big name on his record, but he had not reached his best by that fight, and the fight itself was a lot closer than some Jones fans would have you believe.

RJJ was an exceptional talent, but he didn't really test it against the guys that would have given him problems and tested his heart (Eubank, Benn, Collins, JC, 2000 B-hop). Though, to be fair on Jones, it wasn't all his making that those fights didn't come off i.e Benn was finished after the Mcllelan fight, Eubank was reluctant to go overseas, so was JC. But the fact remains that he didn't fight them.
    IMO, Jones would have outclassed Benn, and would have beaten Eubank on points as Eubank was Lazy, though he would have a puncher's chance. As for Collins, it would have been a tough fight for RJJ as he wouldn't be able to put Collins away, but IMO RJJ would get the decision with more accuracy.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bomp

Hillbilly boy was comparing Benn in the Collins fight and laughing his a** off at the thought of him beating Jones back then. Benn was just a "little bit" past his best. Get me?

The WBO has always been a lesser title bud, deal with it. And like I said I was laughin at BOTH Collins and Benn. I'm sure that in his old age Benn had just developed that leaping in with wild right hands nasty habit of his, huh? That woulda got him a good a** kicking against Roy Jones, and probably dropped with a Combo, starting with a lighting fast left hook to his head.
    I think you'll find that Benn did acquire the WBC super middleweight belt and that his second fight with Eubank was a unification fight. Though that's irrelevant.
    For one reason or another, Jones did not fight the guys in question, and their fans have just as much right as Jones' fans to speculate how those fights might have gone.

There's a lot of feeling nowadays that Jones' is career isn't what it's made out to be. He did beat the main man (Toney) at supermiddle, but after that he did fight handpicked opponents which made him look good. Hopkins is the other big name on his record, but he had not reached his best by that fight, and the fight itself was a lot closer than some Jones fans would have you believe.

RJJ was an exceptional talent, but he didn't really test it against the guys that would have given him problems and tested his heart (Eubank, Benn, Collins, JC, 2000 B-hop). Though, to be fair on Jones, it wasn't all his making that those fights didn't come off i.e Benn was finished after the Mcllelan fight, Eubank was reluctant to go overseas, so was JC. But the fact remains that he didn't fight them.
    IMO, Jones would have outclassed Benn, and would have beaten Eubank on points as Eubank was Lazy, though he would have a puncher's chance. As for Collins, it would have been a tough fight for RJJ as he wouldn't be able to put Collins away, but IMO RJJ would get the decision with more accuracy.

Good post, Click

Dismissing the WBO and trumpeting the WBC as a "real" belt without knowing Benn held that title is totally embarrassing. As I said before.

Thread Information