Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freddie Roach/Steve Collins on a Jones Jr/Collins fight (recent quotes)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Freddie Roach/Steve Collins on a Jones Jr/Collins fight (recent quotes)

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie Roach
    Stevie completely changed his boxing style when he fought Eubank the second time, he basically just gave him no room to operate and never stopped punching. He won every minute of every round and Eubank was in the best shape of his life since 1990. Nigel Benn's best shots were bouncing off Stevie, he stood with Benn for 30 minutes and was never hurt once. What could Roy of done to keep Stevie off him? No question in my mind that Stevie would of broken Roy's heart and eventually broken him down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Collins
    I came up the hard way, I fought the tough guys. Roy came up the easy way, off an Olympic gold medal and doing as he pleased. Mike McCallum and Sumbu Kalambay were the two best middleweight's in the world when I fought them, Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn were the two most successful super-middleweight's of all-time when I fought them. I came through. I was too physically strong for Roy Jones, I started a strength progamme after I beat Eubank at Millstreet and that just made me stronger, I was getting stronger and stronger with each fight. I was stronger than ever when I confronted Roy Jones after he fought that guy, Frazier or whatever his name was, the fireman I think it was. You think an ectomorph would of lasted 36 minutes with 13 stone coming at him non-stop? We all know he was running scared.

Do you think Roy Jones would of lasted the distance with a prime McCallum after just 16 fights, having taken the fight at only a few weeks notice? If you do, you need your head tested. I tried to box McCallum and came unstuck, I wouldn't box Roy Jones. I'm not saying I could of lived with Roy Jones in the talent department, but I would of won the fight on strength and workrate. Kalambay I lost a split decision, but in Italy you need to stop them to get a draw and I didn't have much punching strength back then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Freddie Roach/Steve Collins on a Jones Jr/Collins fight (recent quotes)

yeah Collins was one tough bastard!
    would have loved to see him fight RJJ, pity it never happened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Freddie Roach/Steve Collins on a Jones Jr/Collins fight (recent quotes)

jones would of played with him, eubank would of been the man to give roy a real fight in their prime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think collins rjj would of been alot like roy clinton woods, roy would of been far to slick for him.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

WWatt I wonder if you actually believe this garbage... Steve fucking Collins would "break his heart"" A PRIME ROY JONES JR..... Jesus christ, he lost in his prime to Reggie Johnson, Kambalay, and McCallum handed him his ass probably like Roy would have but worse.. He got some good timing in his career catching Eubank and Benn on the way out, Eubank was not in the best shape of his life since 1990 he was never the same after the Watson fights anyways, he had been in many very close boring decision fights leading up to facing Collins... And Freddie Roach is a good trainer im sure, but he's taken too many shots to the head period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy would have destroyed him....

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gally
    I think collins rjj would of been alot like roy clinton woods, roy would of been far to slick for him.
    Exactly. Hit the nail on the fukin head man. RJJ was in a class by himself, Collins woulda suffered the same fate that Richard "Destroyer" Hall, Vinny Paz and Woods all suffered, an ass whippin, a terrible, terrible ass whippin ended by a mercifully stoppage by the ref. I like Roach, but we all know he and his good friend and fighter James Toney hold a big grudge against Roy. (also I know Roach didn't train Toney for the Jones fight, but he is still a close friend of Toney's and therefore don't care for RJJ, who dominated Toney)
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    WWatt I wonder if you actually believe this garbage... Steve F****** Collins would "break his heart"" A PRIME ROY JONES JR..... Jesus christ, he lost in his prime to Reggie Johnson, Kambalay, and McCallum handed him his a** probably like Roy would have but worse.. He got some good timing in his career catching Eubank and Benn on the way out, Eubank was not in the best shape of his life since 1990 he was never the same after the Watson fights anyways, he had been in many very close boring decision fights leading up to facing Collins... And Freddie Roach is a good trainer im sure, but he's taken too many shots to the head period.
    Pure bolocks, McCallum certainly did not hand collins his ass. He admitted no money would be worth a rematch.
    il be the first to admit that Collins style isnt easy on the eye as others in his division at the time but its was effective.
    I dont know many other boxers tougher than this guy and he would never run away from no one

Steve Collins was great for boxing. he went to the states to learn his trade and took the hard fights and never ducked anybody.
    stood toe to toe with the hardest punchers in Benn and Eubank and no one ever stopped him.
    Give the man his props, I bet you have seen hardly any of his fights,
    I am not saying he would beaten roy but roy certainly had never fought anyone like collins at that point of his career.
    Roy only took east fights and thats why this fight never happened
    collins retired champ which is rare these days

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LarryB
    WWatt I wonder if you actually believe this garbage... Steve F****** Collins would "break his heart"" A PRIME ROY JONES JR..... Jesus christ, he lost in his prime to Reggie Johnson, Kambalay, and McCallum handed him his a** probably like Roy would have but worse.. He got some good timing in his career catching Eubank and Benn on the way out, Eubank was not in the best shape of his life since 1990 he was never the same after the Watson fights anyways, he had been in many very close boring decision fights leading up to facing Collins... And Freddie Roach is a good trainer im sure, but he's taken too many shots to the head period.
    Pure bolocks, McCallum certainly did not hand collins his ass. He admitted no money would be worth a rematch.
    il be the first to admit that Collins style isnt easy on the eye as others in his division at the time but its was effective.
    I dont know many other boxers tougher than this guy and he would never run away from no one

Steve Collins was great for boxing. he went to the states to learn his trade and took the hard fights and never ducked anybody.
    stood toe to toe with the hardest punchers in Benn and Eubank and no one ever stopped him.
    I am not saying he would beaten roy but roy certainly had never fought anyone like collins at that point of his career.
    I'm sure you Brits love Collins and that he was a blood and guts fighter, but Roy fought better competition, and was in another league PERIOD. And yes I saw his fight with Benn, the first one at least, and laughed my ass off at the thought of either of those two beating Roy Jones Junior back then, like I have heard so many Brits say on here. Ridiculous.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    Pure bolocks, McCallum certainly did not hand collins his a**. He admitted no money would be worth a rematch.

I'm sure you Brits love Collins
    Why would Brits love Collins?? He was Irish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I personally think Jones would of played with Collins and stopped him on cuts if anything.

I give Benn about a 60/40 chance of KO'ing Jones (only his dodgy jaw lets him down), and I think Eubank can give Jones some fits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WWatt
    I personally think Jones would of played with Collins and stopped him on cuts if anything.

I give Benn about a 60/40 chance of KO'ing Jones (only his dodgy jaw lets him down), and I think Eubank can give Jones some fits.
    Jones beats them all.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And yes I saw his fight with Benn, the first one at least, and laughed my ass off at the thought of either of those two beating Roy Jones Junior back then, like I have heard so many Brits say on here. Ridiculous.
    Thats like how I laugh my ass off at people that watch Roy Jones Jr,now,getting knocked spark out by pony Tarver and an ancient journeyman yet they think he'd beat Joe Calzaghe. Ridiculous.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    Pure bolocks, McCallum certainly did not hand collins his a**. He admitted no money would be worth a rematch.

And yes I saw his fight with Benn, the first one at least, and laughed my a** off at the thought of either of those two beating Roy Jones Junior back then, like I have heard so many Brits say on here. Ridiculous.
    Thats like how I laugh my a** off at people that watch Roy Jones Jr,now,getting knocked spark out by pony Tarver and an ancient journeyman yet they think he'd beat Joe Calzaghe. Ridiculous.
    Mate how is it ridiculous??

The guy was 37 years old im sorry but a prime RJJ beats all the recent Brits of his generation, RJJ schooled Toney and Bernard Hopkins, so again please tell me again how is it ridiculous to think that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sure you Brits love Collins and that he was a blood and guts fighter, but Roy fought better competition, and was in another league PERIOD. And yes I saw his fight with Benn, the first one at least, and laughed my a** off at the thought of either of those two beating Roy Jones Junior back then, like I have heard so many Brits say on here. Ridiculous.
    Yes Hulk as WWatt pointed out he was Irish so there goes your point.
    Its all good saying that Roy would have beaten Collins but the fact is Collins wanted one more big fight before he retired and Jones was that fight.Collins had beaten everyone else

collins said he would go the states to fight him but Roy didnt take the fight because Collins didnt have a big enough profile in the states to get the money Roy wanted for the big risk and thats is why he turned him down.

So Roy was afraid to fight him as he knew that Collins was a hard bastard and a hard fight
    he could get paid just a little less to fight bums as he was the main attraction back then.he had no interest in fighting the best which pissed me off about him and now he has been exposed.

Steve was downhearted and realised it wasnt going to happen so he retired
    it means fook all to say roy would have beat him cos he was too scared in the end

Thread Information