Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HBO shifting from boxing to UFC!!

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: HBO shifting from boxing to UFC!!

MMA is a fad it's true, they have no base like boxing to establish depth and by base I mean Amateur bouts, Olympics, Golden Gloves, European Amateur bouts, etc.

All MMA has is areas from where it MAY be able to draw from wrestling or what have you but who is gonna train these guys?

I think if HBO makes this switch this is a HUGE chance for either Versus or ESPN to grab up all the boxing talent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    MMA is a fad it's true, they have no base like boxing to establish depth and by base I mean Amateur bouts, Olympics, Golden Gloves, European Amateur bouts, etc.

All MMA has is areas from where it MAY be able to draw from wrestling or what have you but who is gonna train these guys?

I think if HBO makes this switch this is a HUGE chance for either Versus or ESPN to grab up all the boxing talent
    and it will put boxing back in the public eye and might give us more quality championship fights.......most people have at least basic cable.......
    It feels good to be back home.

El Kabong Guest

AMEN! That would be best for Boxing and it's dedicated viewers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AMEN! That would be best for Boxing and it's dedicated viewers
    yeah....I know a ton of people that want to see the fights they just didn't have enough money for the extras......and with more fighters on espn it will bruing it home like back in the 70's and 80's when the fights were broadcasted over the big networks......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu

and it will put boxing back in the public eye and might give us more quality championship fights.......most people have at least basic cable.......

hbo cant be that dumb...............theyre not gonna can boxing for ufc/mma rubbish for one very big reason.......there is NOT NEARLY enough money in ufc/mma (ill start believing it when a ufc champ starts getting 6 million dollar guarantees for a fight)

look at the average ufc/mma viewer, then look at boxing fans

15 year old kids are probably not going to be able to talk their parents into buying hbo just so they can see the latest super fight (i think they have about 200 per year)

boxing is a science, it is a class sport (with a few individual exceptions) it is for the most part for sophisticated viewers

hbo may bring on ufc/mma.......
    but no way in hell does that crap push boxing out the door

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think MMA's popularity will ultimatley help boxing. They aren't taking boxing fans away from boxing, they are creating new combat sport fans.

I'm primarily a boxing guy, but MMA is really interesting. Also, fights are more easily made because fighters fight for peanuts in the UFC. Thats probably why that don't release PPV numbers. You'd have a lot of pissed off super fighters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by frozensolid_702
    Quote Originally Posted by bigragu

hbo cant be that dumb...............theyre not gonna can boxing for ufc/mma rubbish for one very big reason.......there is NOT NEARLY enough money in ufc/mma (ill start believing it when a ufc champ starts getting 6 million dollar guarantees for a fight)

look at the average ufc/mma viewer, then look at boxing fans

15 year old kids are probably not going to be able to talk their parents into buying hbo just so they can see the latest super fight (i think they have about 200 per year)

boxing is a science, it is a class sport (with a few individual exceptions) it is for the most part for sophisticated viewers

hbo may bring on ufc/mma.......
    but no way in hell does that crap push boxing out the door
    I agree with you 100%.....we'll have to see......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

UFC and/MMA in the olympics? Let me think..............

No way in hell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 1st rd ko

No way in hell.
    I was just sensationalising a little to get the ball rolling

but i do believe MMA will surpass boxing in terms of popularity and $$$ in years to come, just look at it rate of growth.

We need another 'Iron' Mike Tyson...

El Kabong Guest

What MMA and UFC will do for boxing is hopefully get rid of crooked promoters and alphabet organizations so we will get the big fights everyone wants to see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sorry to say but boxing's prime is long gone and will never return
    look at the past few decisions
    off the top of my head,
    rocky juarez vs. barrera, winky vs. jt, castillo not making weight, and some other ones
    but these are really recent and these are the superfights
    who wants to watch a superfight only to see the results were already pre determined
    might as well watch WWE
    dont get me wrong, i'm a boxer and a big boxing fan, but i'm an even bigger MMA fan now
    too many boxers dodging this guy or that guy because of this reason or that reason
    sorry boxing, R.I.P.
    Lightning Strikes Twice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

byt the way there is amatuer mma.
    forget the olympic thing by the way.

i have just checked an mma forum and it is also mentioned about the hbo deal!!

there isnt enogh money in ufc, there is more in pride tho.

how could you call mma Rubbish

it has better fighters, = better fights, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, IF THE FANS WANT TWO FIGHTERS TO FIGHT, THEY WILL FIGHT, NON OF THIS ' down the line...bigga n betta.'

boxing is good but i think mma is better, you guys havent followed mma properly and your commenting on it like its bull. BACK THEN (10 YEARS AGO) THE FIGHTS WERE BRAWLS WITH HARDLY ANYONE KNOWING GRAPPLING, NOW IT IS TECHNICAL BUT STILL BRUTAL, THATS HOW IT SHOULD BE!

mma in a fews years will surpass boxing in $$$ and popularity for the reasons above!

if you hear the discussions about the fights on mma forums, it really hypes you up cos anything could happen! different opinions!

i am a big fan of both and IN MY OPINION MMA IS MUCH MORE EXCITING TO WATCH AND YOU GET THE FIGHTS YOU WANT. all of you lot have been crying about mayweather to fight hatton or margarito or cotto...I N MMA THAT FIGHT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED!!!!!!

when i show you a clip of these fights, secretly you are EXCITED AND ARE LOVING IT, BUT YOU THEN SAY ITS JUST A SUPERVISED BRAWL COS YOU CANT ADMIT ITS BETTA THAN BOXING TO WATCH!
    SUPERFIGHTS? there have been loads over the past two years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lmao you make me laugh!
    btw dont talk crap about something you dont know.

enough said !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing needs to put together better cards there should be more than one champion on every fight card

I often watch UFc or PRIDE events and there are 3 or 4 big fights which i can't wait to see theres rarely even 2 big fights on a boxing card

seems the only time you get 2 big fights is when the winners are set to face each other like when Morales and Pac fought guys as a prelim to their fight and Morales frickin lost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hairdoo
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st rd ko

No way in hell.
    I was just sensationalising a little to get the ball rolling

but i do believe MMA will surpass boxing in terms of popularity and $$$ in years to come, just look at it rate of growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well said punch drunk

boxing needs to 1) have just one champ per devision (world champ)
    2)put better cards together!
    3) give the fans the fights and stop bitching about em.
    4)referees need to be like referees in the 50's

Thread Information