0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: People who like MMA...

A much better "boxer gone MMA" would be Jens Pulver

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8a...vs-jens-pulver

He fights Gomi here, who is considered by most to be far and away the best LW MMAist in the world.
    Pulver (I believe) is running away with the fight until he catches one. But regardless, Pulver is what a Boxer turned MMA should look like, and proof of how deadly boxing can be when properly adapted.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Having just rewatched that, Gomi did a lot better than I remember, but you still get the point. Gomi has an iron chin, especially considering he's a LW, and anyone would be EXTREMELY hard pressed to rock him at all.

But this match showcases Pulver's footwork, his ability to use distance, and his EXCELLENT counterstriking. And all this against probably the best LW to ever play the game.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he didn't bob and weave as much as I thought he would. He shelled like he was wearing 12oz gloves. He also wasn't the aggressor enough and that lead to Gomi landing more towards the end and the one that eventually sent him nighty night. Having said that, he also gave up 10lbs. I'd like to see a 155lb boxer like Shane Moswely would do against Gomi. Different story if you ask me. Too fast, too precise. Gomi HAS to take him down or look out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Only problem with bobbing and weaving is that it's a great way to eat a knee, or to get put into the Thai clinch (and eat knees) and too succeptible to leg kicks.

He definately wasn't aggressive enough....he counterpunched a lot, and should have really stepped it up a few times. And he wasn't shelling up too often, he was using the "broken wing" defense (I think thats what they call it in CMA/TMA) where you put your elbows forward and forearm along the head to absorb the blows.

But he's a great representation of what a boxer gone MMA practictioner should look like and how successful they can be. And he wasn't even a big time boxer (trained in boxing, but never really made a living doing it). So if a guy like that can do so well with his boxing base, imagine a real big time boxer making the transition. It's only a matter of time before one of them does for love of the game, regardless of the money involved.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like both but boxing's clearly my favorite.

I'm just not one of those people that gets excited when an MMA fight goes to the ground, its rare that it doesn't bore me. Maybe I just don't appreciate Brazillian Jiu Jitsu enough, who knows. I guess that's one of my main problems with the sport overall.

And the striking is less skillful IMO, although some of that I'm sure does have to do with worrying about takedowns, even a guy like Pulver is a pretty mediocre looking boxer, he was on ESPN 2 one night and just looked average at best. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, obviously he takes MMA more seriously. Not to say that there aren't some good strikers in MMA.

But I like it overall, have some favorites like Shogun (By the way has he come back yet, haven't really been paying attention), CroCop, Fedor, St. Pierre, but its not anywhere near boxing to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont think that pulver guy did so great, he was ok. one thing that match dosent show how good he would be able to fight off a grappler, instead gomi stood up with him and did a better job at striking then pulver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I beg to differ about the striking. The one thing that Pulver did wrong was start to assume it was a boxing match, and apparently forgot about the knees/kicks, which is how Gomi caught him. I thought Pulver did some excellent counterstriking. He's got some heavy hands, good footwork and a good chin. If Gomi didn't have the greatest chin in the LW division, I think that Pulver probably would have won that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy D
    I beg to differ about the striking. The one thing that Pulver did wrong was start to assume it was a boxing match, and apparently forgot about the knees/kicks, which is how Gomi caught him. I thought Pulver did some excellent counterstriking. He's got some heavy hands, good footwork and a good chin. If Gomi didn't have the greatest chin in the LW division, I think that Pulver probably would have won that.
    yeah true, im saying gomi was better at striking because he was more aggresive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i didn't read this entire thread but all i know this, lyle is a fucking retard and i'm not even gonna bother to argue with that moron, seriously how stupid can you be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

boxing has been going much longer, it was origionally a gentlemens sport, mma is generally more violent than boxing and people dont want it publicised because of the larger violence factor. I like both, prefer mma, but i think you put that across in a stupid way saying grappling is just rolling round on the floor. It works in both ways, you could say all boxing is is moving your arms and hips. I did boxing and now do mma so i dont have a bias view but mma is a superior fighting style.

Thread Information