Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How to improve my shoulders

Ok, so ive been going the a gym for about a week now, today a friend of mine there had me do 3 rounds of this thing where you hold a 20lb ball above your shoulder and he hits it for a round, IT WAS KILLING ME. Then we switched after the minute break and about the 2nd round of me hitting it, I could BARELY sustain my shoulder, round 3 was HELL for me, I was soo tired, my shoulder were just wanting to give up.

Any ideas on how I can better my shoulders? more endurance? more str? any tips would help alot, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How to improve my shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by neverscared
    Ok, so ive been going the a gym for about a week now, today a friend of mine there had me do 3 rounds of this thing where you hold a 20lb ball above your shoulder and he hits it for a round, IT WAS KILLING ME. Then we switched after the minute break and about the 2nd round of me hitting it, I could BARELY sustain my shoulder, round 3 was HELL for me, I was soo tired, my shoulder were just wanting to give up.

Any ideas on how I can better my shoulders? more endurance? more str? any tips would help alot, thanks.
    Go at it easy or your going to be out with rotator cuff injury and then your uked ! slow and easy give it time, everyone wants instant results and that aint how it happens. rest a few days and do chin ups wide grip for shoulders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What about holding 5-10 lb weigts away from my body for 1 minute, 1 minute rest, repeat for 5 sets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What about holding 5-10 lb weigts away from my body for 1 minute, 1 minute rest, repeat for 5 sets?
    Do this , take 10lb weights , stand straight , ,bend slightly at the knees, lift your head raise your arms str8 out to your side and slightly twist the arm as to isolate the shoulder and the delts. lower slowly. raise slowly, nothing fast ! good safe exercise ! ! start of doing 6 sets of 10 ,, Do these very slow very slow very slow ! your will feel it and don't forget to twist the arms when you have them extended outward, very important for total isolation. Good luck mate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

isometrics for too long can actually slow you down and do more harm than good.

I'm a big believer in light elifting and plyometrics because they contribute to both strength and speed. Strength + speed = power.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keep doin what yer doin. Don't go at it as hard or for as long, though. Lords Gym is right, you can damage your shoulder very badly...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A new 'phrase' I may start to use in here...

why?? What good is that going to be in the ring? Its Slow twitch and isn't gonna give you speed and strength (which as Lord said, make power ) all it will give is endurance in a movement you don't make in the ring. Not endurance for repeated contracions either, just a prolounged conraction

Also its Isolation, which I am not a great fan of, especially when you are not just training for size and cosmetics.

Always ask yourself: Why? If you're training is irrelevant to the sport it's a waste of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What is this "slow twitch" that you speak of?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the type of muscle used in heavy lifting. the fibers move slowly over each other, like someone climbing a ladder. the fast and superfast muscle fibers are the ones used in fast movement like sprinting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

so when people say weight lifting slows down your hand speed, that is what they mean by it, increasing the slow twitch muscles?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yes. it's adding mass to your arms and doing nothing to help develop speed power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

but if you do light weight lifting with lots of reps and go fast doing them and not stress to lift it then it will be good for you?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you just working the muscular endurance of one muscle.

speed doesn't quiet work like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

haha gotcha. I know how you guys say speed and strength are what give you power but how would it work if you had a guy who can bench 300 lbs. and punch slow as a turtle, but another guy who cant bench much at all, but is so fast and speedy you can barely see his arms moving. If that were to happen, who would have the more power, meaning, if you gave the muscle guy one punch and the speedy guy say 5 or so. Which one would do more damage?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

my money's on the small guy until the big guy can get a hold of the small guy, then it's broken back time. lol. but he'd eat some good shots first, if not get knocket out first.

Thread Information