Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does my physical shape and past body abuse make me a lost cause?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default does my physical shape and past body abuse make me a lost cause?

im 20 years old 6,5 and weigh186 pounds and im slim build witch has always deterred me from starting boxing as ive always thought i wont be able to punch at my weight, as i have friends who are amatuer boxers at welter weight who punch harder than i can. i also smoked cannabis baily for 5 years up till bout 2 months ago. is there any hope for me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: does my physical shape and past body abuse make me a lost cause?

Theres hope for everybody

Theres nothing wrong with your physical shape. Boxers run the gamut from short and fat to short and light to fat and tall to skinny and tall. No matter what your physical shape, there's gonna be a way to for you use it to your advantage.

You seem very tall for 185. That right there will be a huge advantage for you. Stay outside and use your reach. Boxing isn't just about knocking your opponent out with one huge punch. You can win on points. Or heck, even if you can't punch that strong, people can only get hit in the head so many times before it starts to take a toll. Not to mention the fact that as you learn to box properly, the proper techniques you learn will amplify your power a LOT more than you'd ever think possible.

Give it a go...join a gym, get in shape, stay off the drugs and don't smoke or drink. Get yourself a trainer that knows what he's doing, and most importantly...STICK WITH IT. Don't give up when you've been training a month and still havent sparred, or if its been a year and you still havent fought. Your trainer will know whats best for you, and you'll have to trust that he's moving you along at the proper speed.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cheers, have been to agym for about 2 months but have only been doing weights to bulk up and get abit of muscle. i want to start some runningis 2 miles a good distance to start at? and what time do you think i should be running it in? also i fear amatuer rings could be to small for me to really use my reach my advantage.i ve always pictured my self to be an awkward type like mathew barney. do you know him?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As an Amatuer, you would be a heavy weight, at the lower end of the spectrum, I have the same problem.

I'm 6 foot and have trouble getting to 81kg (light heavy) but if I fight Heavy weights (I'm 83-84kg, or about 185 pounds) I'd be light for the division and facing 200lb guy about your height.

If you a serious about competing, get yourself in a gym and your trainer will tell you what weight you need to be at and get you there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

problem is trainers here have no time for you unless your half descent the classes have about 30 people in with 2 trainers and 5 of the people at the boxing club have amatuer fights so all details are spared for them.suppose im gonna have to put in the hours to get to a level where its worth taking a second look at me. ANY 1 GOT ANY MORE ADVICE OR TIPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Depending on what kind of shape you're in now, you might gain or lose some weight once you begin training, so that could help or hinder you in weight classes.

You definately will need to put the effort in. You have to remember that trainers are people too, and don't want to waste their time training someone who doesn't have their heart in it, or with someone who is going to learn this stuff, then just quit because they don't feel like it. I can almost guarantee that once the trainer sees that you're in it for the long haul, and really care about getting into boxing, theyre going to notice you, and start helping you. It could never hurt to ask some of the other boxers (preferably one of the guys who has already had some fight experience, as theyre the most likely to actually know what theyre doing) to teach you some of the basics of boxing, and some basic routines on the bags.

For running, its not so much the distance as the time you spend doing it. If you can run a mile in 6 minutes, it's not going to help you very much. I think the basic numbers to run off of are about a half hour of cardio to start burning fat. Run as far as you can in that time period. If you get too tired, or winded, slow down to a pace where you can continue. As soon as you can, kick it back up again. You'll find pretty quickly that you'll be running faster and longer the more you continue.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yanick Noah, retired pro tennis player, said he abused himself before every match. So if it works for the pros, it'll work for you.

As a matter of fact, I think I'll go abuse myself right now. Back in 5...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

does any one know if theres cruiser weight at amatuer level? and does any one know of any proffesional bpxers at cruiser that are 6,5 and what are the leightheavy, cruiser n heavy weight limits? i havent got much body fat if i done some running i could possibly make 180,

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't reccomend you loose any more weight...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

anybody got any ideas on how to bulk up a bit then? as i am i dont think i can take the punches at my weight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bulking generally= bad in boxing.

If you can't take the punches, don't take them. Block them, slip them them, parry them. It's probably just me, but I really don't think being muscular helps you take punches THAT much better. It's something you usually either can or can't do. You're best bet for taking punches is learning how to take them, and learning how to avoid them, not making yourself bigger.

If I were you, I'd worry more about getting your skills down first, and getting in great shape, THEN worry about what weight class your gonna be in. There's plenty of time for bulking and cutting down the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sounds like a plan

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

D cc
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

my friend if at 20 you've got no chance then no one has, as long as your healthy enough to train you can get fit and boxing soon enough ( we're talking sparring first of course once the trainer thinks your ready )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by warreng
    cheers, have been to agym for about 2 months but have only been doing weights to bulk up and get abit of muscle. i want to start some runningis 2 miles a good distance to start at? and what time do you think i should be running it in? also i fear amatuer rings could be to small for me to really use my reach my advantage.i ve always pictured my self to be an awkward type like mathew barney. do you know him?
    2 miles at around 7 min or less per mile....also you will want to incorporate sprints into your routine as well....build up to 20 50 yard sprints (uphill and then jog back down) if you can.....ultimately the speed you run the mile in depends on your weight......
    It feels good to be back home.

Thread Information