1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Chris Eubank: RJJ could beat JC

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=7805&more=1

Chris Eubank: Roy can beat Calzaghe

03.08.06 - By Jay Briggsy: Former WBO super-middleweight champion Chris Eubank believes that formerly proposed opponent Roy Jones Jr. is capable of defeating current super-middle king Joe Calzaghe, a former opponent of Eubank's. The showman also hinted at a possible bout with Jones Jr. himself!

"I believe Jones is a freak of nature. That fellow could probably land a leaping hook from his Zimmer Frame," Eubank commented. I think he can beat Calzaghe, but what he can't be is gunshy. They say the last thing to lose a fighter is his punch, Jones was a big puncher back in the day and he must still have that in him."

Whether or not Jones can make 168 lbs. and be strong at the weight at this stage of his career is uncertain. But surely if he could pull off a Calzaghe victory at super-middle it would have to go down as not just his greatest achievement, but one of the greatest achievements in boxing for some time when you consider Calzaghe's breathtaking performance against Lacy a few months ago and Roy not being at his best since the Clinton Woods fight some four years back.

"Listen, Calzaghe is easy to hit with right hands. He's busy enough, fast handed southpaw but he's abit European, quite square and rigid, you know? He's far from unhittable, infact he's easy to hit with the right (hand). Just a basic, straight right hand lead he doesn't seem to see, but of course, you have to have abit of speed and that's Jones.

"I also found him (Calzaghe) fairly easy to hit with body shots. I watched Jones's last fight and he did good body work," added the lisping former champ.

Calzaghe, the WBO/IBF champion, may prefer to try cementing his legacy even further by taking on the winner the Markus Beyer/Mikkel Kessler WBC/WBA unification fight or Clinton Woods/Glencoffe Johnson IBF light-heavyweight title fight rather than the bigger money fight with the faded Jones Jr. Others in the frame for Calzaghe's next opponent are skilful veteran Winky Wright and up-and-coming Allan Green.

As well as calling for Calzaghe, Jones has also called for a return fight with Glencoffe Johnson next who if he managed to beat would mean he could lay claim to beating every man he fought.

Would Brighton's favourite son consider spectacularly coming out of retirement to face off with Roy Jones if he did manage to beat Calzaghe?

"Hey, there's always a price!" was his answer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Chris Eubank: RJJ could beat JC

Do I sense sour grapes from Chris here .

Calzaghe surely would be a big favourite against Jones at this stage . In fairness to Jones he looked pretty sharp last time and if we didnt know hed been beaten in his previous 3 fights then we'd still be thinking of him as an elite fighter but Joe is no prince Amaju and as long as he is injury free I cant see Jones beating him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Prime Jones would outboxed Calzaghe but now Joe would batter him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IronDanLaw
    I think Jones would out slick him and win a decision ! Roy is still fast and sharp , he would be more focused on a perceived threat like Calzaghe, a well prepared Jones wins easy IMO.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym
    I think Jones would out slick him and win a decision ! Roy is still fast and sharp , he would be more focused on a perceived threat like Calzaghe, a well prepared Jones wins easy IMO.

I think you are deluded to think it would be easy for Roy at this stage!!

The Jones that fought Johnson or any of 3 Tarver fights would not have a prayer against JC.

If he somehow reincarnates and recaptures the old genius then who knows
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight will never happen.

RJJ got no heart.

Joe would beat him like a dog!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H
    Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym

I think you are deleuded to think it would be easy for Roy at this stage!!

The Jones that fought Johnson or any of 3 Tarver fights would not have a prayer against JC.

If he somehow reincarnates and recaptures the old genius then who knows
    Jones is 37 years old, he not getting any younger that for sure, but I feel he rise for a fight of this magnitude, Joe had an impressive win over Lacy , but he is 34 , so he is not all that young himself and should be making that inevitable decent sometime soon . I would like to see this fight made . Would be very interesting to see how it plays out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy Jones is done IMO. JC, injury free, is pretty much at the top his game. Age was no matter when he fought Lacy. Injuries are his biggest worry. If this fight happens I think Calzaghe will retire Roy. A part of me wants this cos I dont want Roy trampling all over his own legacy by going on too long and ending up like Tyson.
    In his prime Roy JJ would have beat JC. Of that I have no doubt. Now though? JC hurts him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats the thing though,JC in NOT injury free! I thought he was injured now??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SouthLondon
    Roy Jones is done IMO. JC, injury free, is pretty much at the top his game. Age was no matter when he fought Lacy. Injuries are his biggest worry. If this fight happens I think Calzaghe will retire Roy. A part of me wants this cos I dont want Roy trampling all over his own legacy by going on too long and ending up like Tyson.
    In his prime Roy JJ would have beat JC. Of that I have no doubt. Now though? JC hurts him.
    yea, prime RJJ wins pretty easy. Now (2006) i think it 'could' be a decent fight with JC winning.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eubank probably does have a bit of a grudge against Calzaghe but from what I can tell he does not like Roy much either. He's mostly right, Roy is still capable of beating Calzaghe and it would be a very big victory. But not the biggest of his career, I mean its Joe Calzaghe not James Toney.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But surely if he could pull off a Calzaghe victory at super-middle it would have to go down as not just his greatest achievement, but one of the greatest achievements in boxing for some time when you consider Calzaghe's breathtaking performance against Lacy a few months ago and Roy not being at his best since the Clinton Woods fight some four years back.
    What a joke. I'd put it lower on RJJ's achievement list than Toney and B-Hop. And definitely lower on the "greatest achievements in boxing for some time" list than Hopkins's going UP TWO DIVISIONS in weight at 41 years old to win the LHW title from Tarver--something SRR couldn't do.

I mean, this would be Roy's biggest victory in a while, but I'm not sure it even would outrank beating Ruiz, since that involved a former MW going up to HW and winning a title (without steroids).

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza
    But surely if he could pull off a Calzaghe victory at super-middle it would have to go down as not just his greatest achievement, but one of the greatest achievements in boxing for some time when you consider Calzaghe's breathtaking performance against Lacy a few months ago and Roy not being at his best since the Clinton Woods fight some four years back.
    What a joke. I'd put it lower on RJJ's achievement list than Toney and B-Hop. And definitely lower on the "greatest achievements in boxing for some time" list than Hopkins's going UP TWO DIVISIONS in weight at 41 years old to win the LHW title from Tarver--something SRR couldn't do.

I mean, this would be Roy's biggest victory in a while, but I'm not sure it even would outrank beating Ruiz, since that involved a former MW going up to HW and winning a title (without steroids).
    Exactly I feel the same way. Calzaghe is smaller than Roy to begin with a little. And its only Joe Calzaghe, besides beating up Lacy who else has he fought to get such acclaim? Old Byron Mitchell? Old Charles Brewer? A bunch of unknown European competition like Kabary Salem, who knocked Joe down and lost a decision to him. Or Mger Mktchian?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that doesn't stop the fans from thinking Calzaghe can beat Jones despite everything Eubank said is true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    Chris Eubank: Roy can beat Calzaghe
    Yeah...Chris Eubank believes Roy Jones Jr. is capable of defeating Joe Calzaghe...only because he couldn't. Eubank needs to have a coke & a smile & STFU!

Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    Eubank commented that "Jones was a big puncher back in the day and he must still have that in him."
    Eubank must not have seen Jones's last fight.

Get over it Eubank...Joe whipped your ass good & that is that.

Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Thread Information