Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Lacy to Return In October

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=7815&more=1

.08.06 - By Jeff Allinson: At long last it appears the wait for Jeff Lacy (21-1, 17 KO's) to return to the ring will shortly be over, as he will be taking on Alan Green (that's ok, I hadn't heard of him either) on October 7th, in Las Vegas. While Lacy's opponent isn't exactly who I had hoped for, seeing that he's fought mostly unfamiliar opponents, I sure am glad that Jeff is making the return, but what concerns me is his considerable time away from the ring, following his annihilation by Calaghe in March 2006.

Anybody will tell you, that if you fall off a bicicle and hurt yourself, you need to get back on as soon as possible. Likewise, if you have a car crash, you need to get back behind the wheel pretty quickly, too, just in case the fear sets in. And, in boxing, if you take a pasting, you need to get right back in the thick of it, also, before you start suffering from self doubt.

Yes, I'm fully aware that Lacy got the boxing lesson of his life against Calzaghe and desperately needed to work on his movement, agility, shortening his punches, and the good lord only knows what else. However, I think Lacy has been away from boxing for too long, and I hope that the he's not wondering if he can regain his past glory, (Personally, I'm sure he can), and instead, wanting to get back in there and tear Green's head off.

For example, take a look at Tommy Hearns. After his first defeat, a loss to "Sugar" Ray Leonard, Hearns was right back in there no more than 3 months later, fighting against a tough opponent, (Ernie Singletary) who had been in with good opposition. I firmly believe Lacy, in fact, should have been back in the ring after 3 months, as well, after his face healed up, that is. But who knows what was going on in his mind? I suppose only he knows when he is truly ready and has made that decision, rather than someone making his mind up for him and wishing him to go out before he's ready.

One particular bone of contention for me, however, is the way Lacy's so called fans have deserted him in droves, essentially abandoning him after his humiliating beat down by Calzaghe.

Clearly, Lacy, on fight night, was the most popular Super Middleweight out there. Nevertheless, after the drubbing, he hardly had a fan to speak of. The press that had built him up, added insult to injury by tearing into him calling him everything from a bum, to talentless and one dimensional, following his defeat. Boy, do people have short memories. They obviously forgot all the terrific beatings he dished out to his hapless opponents, taking them apart with beautiful punches. For me, I think this behavior by the press and general boxing observers, (they don't deserve to be called fans, in my opinion), is terrible. I mean, talk about jumping on a guy and hitting him when he is down.

But let's look on the bright side, Lacy is back, and I can't wait to see him in action. In truth, Joe Calzaghe won't be around forever (probably much to Lacy's relief), and I want to see Lacy back in with good opposition, preferably with guys that can box, so I can see him tested. After that, I want him to go after one of the belts, since other than Calazghe, Lacy could likely beat all the other super middleweights in the division, although Kessler will give him fits, I'm sure.

What I do want to find out, though, is how much the Calzaghe fight has taken out of Lacy, mentally, not just physically. Some guys are never the same after a long beating like the one he endured, just ask John Mugabi, who, I feel, wasn't the same fighter after losing to Marvin Hagler. All the same, I think Jeff will be ok, though. He's still young, hungry and has a great future ahead of him, I am sure of that.

Welcome back, Jeff Lacy. Come on, Eastside Boxing, let's all give him our support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lacy to Return In October

08.06 - By Jeff Allinson: At long last it appears the wait for Jeff Lacy (21-1, 17 KO's) to return to the ring will shortly be over, as he will be taking on Alan Green (that's ok, I hadn't heard of him either)on October 7th, in Las Vegas. While Lacy's opponent isn't exactly who I had hoped for, seeing that he's fought mostly unfamiliar opponents, I sure am glad that Jeff is making the return, but what concerns me is his considerable time away from the ring, following his annihilation by Calaghe in March 2006.

great way to promote the sport........

lacy is going to knock this kid out IMO......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fights not going to happen now. Lacy doesnt want to fight.

Green would kill Jeff. Ive seen behind the scenes what many have not and I know just how strong and durable green is

the Colonel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really, who cares about Lacy? He was an American hype creation. Just like those contenders, who are popping up on the greedy organisations rankings these days. They are not on the rankings due to boxing skills but only because they have market value for the organisations. Dozen of unknown and unranked boxers from the former East could pulverize these American hype creations but they will never get their chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Booker
    Really, who cares about Lacy? He was an American hype creation. Just like those contenders, who are popping up on the greedy organisations rankings these days. They are not on the rankings due to boxing skills but only because they have market value for the organisations. Dozen of unknown and unranked boxers from the former East could pulverize these American hype creations but they will never get their chance.
    Royal grab a Knife and run into a wall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am willing to give Lacy another go. Sure he got beat up real bad and dissapointed me in a big way but thats boxing. Everyone loses, some in a nastier fashion than others. How he handles defeat will show alot about him. The SM division is hardly the biggest division out there at the moment. Theres space for him to move into particularly as JC seems to be forever struggling with unfortunate injuries. I aint got a clue who this other guy is he's fighting, I seen his record, but Lacy needs a very good showing to win back the admirers. JC worked him over real good and he needs to prove that was JC's class was the dominant reason and not his own failings.
    In respect of the media, I think Jeff Lacy was a perfect victim for them. Easy to promote and build up to the public. When he lost so badly it gave them what they wanted. The media know that failure stories and gloating sell papers. He's not the first and he won't be the last to fall foul of them.
    The point is the media are a fickel bunch who go with what sells. If he can prove he has the ability to learn and strengthen his character in the face of such a beating, then they will soon be singing his praises again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Booker
    Royal, if you dont care about Lacys next fight then why post some BS about it? Cant you just go back to your old habit of posting about the mighty norse lord kessler?

I, for one ,am looking forward to seeing "left hook" back in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm very eager to see what Lacy has to offer now after the beating that he took at the hands of Calzaghe.

Lacy has power & Lacy has skill...he just choked in my opinion on a night against the much more seasoned opponent.

Lacy will shake up the ranks again & bring back some needed excitement.

The kid's good for boxing. Lots of heart & a good soul.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    I'm very eager to see what Lacy has to offer now after the beating that he took at the hands of Calzaghe.

Lacy has power & Lacy has skill...he just choked in my opinion on a night against the much more seasoned opponent.

I agree with all of this except the "skill" part. I've yet to see it. He looked tremendously flawed to me in all of his pre-Calzaghe fights--wild, horrible defense, stalking without throwing the jab, etc.--it's just that he was up against guys who couldn't take advantage, and he was always able to land enough big (and sometimes lucky) shots to hurt or KO opponents. The SMW division is exceptionally weak, what can I say.

Even with that in mind though, I agree he choked against JC. I don't think he could have won anyway, but he just hardly even threw a punch in that fight. It was like Vargas's "style" against Mosely--following the other guy around the ring like you're walking him down, but just letting him hit you the whole time and never unloading yourself. Granted, he did plenty of this in earlier fights too, but against JC it was weird and extreme.

He is very likeable and has a lot of heart though, and I'd love to see him improve and start winning again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza

I agree with all of this except the "skill" part. I've yet to see it. He looked tremendously flawed to me in all of his pre-Calzaghe fights--wild, horrible defense, stalking without throwing the jab, etc.--it's just that he was up against guys who couldn't take advantage, and he was always able to land enough big (and sometimes lucky) shots to hurt or KO opponents. The SMW division is exceptionally weak, what can I say.

Even with that in mind though, I agree he choked against JC. I don't think he could have won anyway, but he just hardly even threw a punch in that fight. It was like Vargas's "style" against Mosely--following the other guy around the ring like you're walking him down, but just letting him hit you the whole time and never unloading yourself. Granted, he did plenty of this in earlier fights too, but against JC it was weird and extreme.

He is very likeable and has a lot of heart though, and I'd love to see him improve and start winning again.
    He's got skills...it's just that he relies on his power & forgets his jab.

What he lacks is fwockin defense...odd that he was training with Wright & it did him no good.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who is Lacy fighting? if Lacy loses I dont want to hear that Joe ruined him, unless he really looks shot in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HIS Defense cant be that bad, someone who got this far in boxing, who has been in the olympics, cant have that bad a defense. yes he needs to improve he defense, shouldnt be hard, just ask winky wright, the guy trains in the same gym

Still i am massive lacy fan, I respect him more now after the calzaghe fight. watch him make a unbelievable comeback. and anyone who says he has hardly any skill, IM SORRY, BUT JUST GO KILL YOURSELF!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by P.G.H Angel Eyes

Who is Lacy fighting? if Lacy loses I dont want to hear that Joe ruined him, unless he really looks shot in there.
    Undefeated prospect Allan Green.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's crazy how 1 fight can change your view of a fighters.....

I don't Lacy could have possibly done something from Calzaghe to today to out box anyone or win smartly in the ring rather then throw BOMBS all night....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart Lacy
    HIS Defense cant be that bad, someone who got this far in boxing, who has been in the olympics, cant have that bad a defense. yes he needs to improve he defense, shouldnt be hard, just ask winky wright, the guy trains in the same gym
    His defense is that bad...no shit...it's not the worst...but it's pretty bad. Lacy got a bit complacent IWO & truthfully...the loss to Calzaghe could have been one of the better happenings of his life...I know that sounds wack...but many men have improved from a loss.

Also...just fighting & training with Winky (sparring partner) does not make Lacy's defense. He trainned with him for almost half a year prior to the Calzaghe fight...it did him no good.

I love Lacy...but he's got a shitty defense & it's highly likely that he took to big of a step too soon...but that's all subject to opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart Lacy
    Still i am massive lacy fan, I respect him more now after the calzaghe fight. watch him make a unbelievable comeback. and anyone who says he has hardly any skill, IM SORRY, BUT JUST GO KILL YOURSELF!
    I'm a Lacy fan too...I'd love to see him make a great comeback.

Got my fingers crossed...but just because someone disagrees with you...don't tell em to go kill themselves...I mean...come on...a "Suck my Balls" woulda been more appropriate.

Heh heh heh.

Thread Information