Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are taller fighters with a jab & reach the key to beating fighters like PBF?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Are taller fighters with a jab & reach the key to beating fighters like PBF?

For example: Mosley vs. Forrest: the reach the style & jab that nuetralized Mosley's speed!
    Could that be the key to beating PBF as well? Is that why Margarito is calling out Floyd? Is this why Floyd won't take the chance at fighting Margarito at this time?

What do you guys think? Can reach & a good jab be the key to beating a shorter fighter that is exceptionally fast? I think so, but not too sure that Margarito has what it takes!!!!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are taller fighters with a jab & reach the key to beating fighters like PBF?

No they are not. And Margarito does not have what it takes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are taller fighters with a jab & reach the key to beating fighters like PBF?

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Why do think not? explain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that a talented fighter with a good jab, some power & reach over Mayweather can nuetralize his speed, but who is this person? Could Forrest or Spinks pull it off at 154 against PBF? What about Winky & Ishe Smith?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it sometimes can, and it worked for vernon. but it wouldnt and wont work on pbf, not that this is a prime example but corrales was big and had long arms and he was destroyed, but the main reason why just bieng tall and jabbing floyd wont work is his elusive style and defence its terribly hard to break it and its awesome for counter punching especially for the left hand (jabs included) cos his left hand is low when attacking and high when defensive but his right arm always stays in a shell like position at the body like a trap for you to throw a shot and he rolls his shoulder up and he leans well to and he counters brilliantly i mean im not the biggest fan of floyd , but theres no doubt his techniques are sound. but i dont really see margarito as much of a fine fighter with his jab not like dlh, and its not that pbf wont fight him due to fear its that floyd thinks hes a bum and that hes fought nobody decent and he doesnt see him as a big opponent worth a big fight , thats assuming of course word hasnt got round as it seems to be the hottest topic. but margarito is more hype than genuine skill.
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by body head banger
    it sometimes can, and it worked for vernon. but it wouldnt and wont work on pbf, not that this is a prime example but corrales was big and had long arms and he was destroyed, but the main reason why just bieng tall and jabbing floyd wont work is his elusive style and defence its terribly hard to break it and its awesome for counter punching especially for the left hand (jabs included) cos his left hand is low when attacking and high when defensive but his right arm always stays in a shell like position at the body like a trap for you to throw a shot and he rolls his shoulder up and he leans well to and he counters brilliantly i mean im not the biggest fan of floyd , but theres no doubt his techniques are sound. but i dont really see margarito as much of a fine fighter with his jab not like dlh, and its not that pbf wont fight him due to fear its that floyd thinks hes a bum and that hes fought nobody decent and he doesnt see him as a big opponent worth a big fight , thats assuming of course word hasnt got round as it seems to be the hottest topic. but margarito is more hype than genuine skill.
    I have to agree that he is hype more than skill, but as for Chico, he doesn't use his reach as an advantage & he is not a fighter that establishes a jab, so that is in no comparison to a fighter like Forrest! But yes I haven't seen Margarito use a jab like a tall fighter should either!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideX4
    I think that a talented fighter with a good jab, some power & reach over Mayweather can nuetralize his speed, but who is this person? Could Forrest or Spinks pull it off at 154 against PBF? What about Winky & Ishe Smith?
    imo:
    forreest and spinks are past it, plus i dont think floyd will go for 154 yet if ever, ishe has great potential and is a good fighter but hes no mayweather not experianced enough.. though i feel he could shine against margarito.
    winky: absolutely! the man has the most insanely good defence and best jab ive ever seen i think and he can fight on the inside to and nuetralise floyds speed... certainly a possibility.
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to agree that he is hype more than skill, but as for Chico, he doesn't use his reach as an advantage & he is not a fighter that establishes a jab, so that is in no comparison to a fighter like Forrest! But yes I haven't seen Margarito use a jab like a tall fighter should either!
    yes youre right but i was trying to stay away from saying chico does, more to the point he could of and probably should maybe he could have stuck in there longer... i think he was gun shy after the first round anyway.. he kept looking up to the bigscreen to see how long was left and getting hit when he did.
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yes youre right but i was trying to stay away from saying chico does, more to the point he could of and probably should maybe he could have stuck in there longer... i think he was gun shy after the first round anyway.. he kept looking up to the bigscreen to see how long was left and getting hit when he did.
    GOOD POINTS (COOL CLICK)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good man!! there should be more people who know reason as you do in these forums i mean there some knowledgable people here but some will just argue tto the death about theyr favourite fighters .
    cc back atcha!
    on another point hows about what style will beat floyd, i say:
    Hatton: (Could!!) pound well to the body and crowd him like never before, depending on the wieght class possibly, though i dont see floyd moving down again.
    Cotto: just as good to the body and weve not seen floyd genuinely been pressured to the body, also a good fighter all round.
    Mosely: fast, slick,powerful, a more mature version of floyd! fight fire with fire is as good an idea for a fight as any, Though there must be some cracks in shanes boxing or he too would be undefeated.
    Oscar Dhl: presuming he is still on top of his game at this age, and presuming floyd sr would play a key role in training for floyd, also he has one of the best jabs going.
    All these fighters have potential, but paper is different to reallity i really wouldnt mind floyd facing all of these fighters
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Corrales has a very good jab when he decides to use it. He couldn't do nothing against Mayweather. Phillip N'dou jab's was also good, but he lost as well. And Genaro Hernandez had a great jab. And he also did nothing. It's going to take more than height and a jab to beat Floyd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Corrales has a very good jab when he decides to use it. He couldn't do nothing against Mayweather. Phillip N'dou jab's was also good, but he lost as well. And Genaro Hernandez had a great jab. And he also did nothing. It's going to take more than height and a jab to beat Floyd.
    youre also correct. i feel that when they step into the ring with the pretty boy first they get out boxed and then they get gun shy. i didnt see the hernandez fight. though ive seen the others, corrales was not on form and not on his game. and also thanks for reminding me of N'dou cos i was trying to remember his name for the build a boxer thing and couldnt but he has such great heart and fought his best but he was in all honesty one of the typical mandatory fighters that was never going to beat floyd, one of the better mandatory challenges i will add, but yet another chance for floyd to showcase his talent.
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah Hernandez had a great jab, & Corrales had both height & a jab. To beat Floyd your gonna have to have a bit of power, speed & be a great counter puncher.
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As much as I hate to say it I think De La Hoya is the only fighter with the proven track record and who is smart enough to have a chance of beating Floyd.

Hatton would just be outclassed, outboxed and stopped,

Margarito would just lose a wide decision, winning maybe 2 or 3 rounds,

Baldomir the same,

Spinks would go in the latter rounds,

Mosely could be a test, I'd like to see this one,

Cotto is too green, he'd be schooled

Have I missed anyone?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    As much as I hate to say it I think De La Hoya is the only fighter with the proven track record and who is smart enough to have a chance of beating Floyd.

Hatton would just be outclassed, outboxed and stopped,

Margarito would just lose a wide decision, winning maybe 2 or 3 rounds,

Baldomir the same,

Spinks would go in the latter rounds,

Mosely could be a test, I'd like to see this one,

Cotto is too green, he'd be schooled

Have I missed anyone?

I agree with your list. Dela Hoya and Mosely are the only two that gives Floyd a run.

As far as the thread question, it would seem that the taller fighter with a good jab can nullify a fighter like Floyd. But the smart-talented fighters(Oscar,Floyd,RJJ,Hopkins,etc), that shat doesnt happen. Against average to good fighters, yes, against A-class, no. Forrest just had Mosely's number from way back.

Thread Information