Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who's fallen the most in your rankings of late (reasons in parenthases)

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavyweights in question

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Heavyweights in question

Right now my top 10 is as follows

1. Wladimir Klitschko IBF - Totally dominated Chris Byrd
    2. Oleg Maskaev WBC - Came from behind to TKO Hasim Rahman, only other title holder to TKO someone to win the title
    3. Calvin Brock - Drew with Timor Ibragimov but hasn't lost and has fought quality opponents
    4. James Toney - inspite of his size he has not touched the canvas from a heavyweight punch, I still have my doubts but he has shown he can dish it out and take it like a heavyweight
    5. Sam Peter - With limited true boxing skill he has shown he can still KO pretty much anyone
    6. Hasim Rahman - he's down and maybe out but he's still a dangerous fighter
    7. Sergei Lyakhovich - his layoff has been LONG as hell and there's still no word on who or when he's going to fight next which is why he's my FIGHTER WHO HAS FALLEN FARTHEST
    8. Lamon Brewster - the eye injury looks to keep him out a while and the trainer change seemed to not work at all we just need to see more from him with McGirt to see if that's a good fit
    TIE AT #9
    9. Ray Austin - big ups to the man for earning a draw with Sultan Ibragimov, we still have to find out if he's actually good or if Sultan just isn't all that

9. Shannon Briggs - he's been on a winning streak...yes it's vs bums but it's a win streak none the less
    10. Larry Donald - he's had a "loss" (in Germany to Nicolai Valuev) and a draw (to Ray Austin) this guy has skill and speed and he could in my opinion out duel Sam Peter anyday of the week!

Nicolai Valuev needs to fight better opponents and fight outside of Germany if he is to gain my respect

Joe Mesi needs to fight in America vs name talent if he's going to get back up there

Audley Harrison and Dommonick Guinn are as good as done

Up and comers remain: Malik Scott, Eddie Chambers, Chazz Witherspoon, Alexander Dimitrenko, Damian Wills, Alanzo Butler, Chris Arreola, and JD Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Heavyweights in question

Maskaev is number 2 now, and Klit is number 1. If they fight, we will have the first heavyweight champion since Vitali

Also Chris Byrd was totally dropped from the top 10:

http://www.thering-online.com/ringpages/ratings2.html

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    3. Calvin Brock - Drew with Timor Ibragimov but hasn't lost and has fought quality opponents
    He won a wide UD over Ibragimov--the scorecards (and the fight) weren't even close. 119-109, 117-111, 115-113.

That said, I wouldn't rank him as number three. These guys are all so bad that they could all lose to each other on any given day, but I'd put money on Lyahovich or Brewster beating Brock at least 3 out of 5. I don't know though, aside from Wlad at the top, the rest of these guys are so shitty it's pretty hard to rank them in any kind of meaningful order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rahman has dissapointed me the most he obviously hasnt improved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its not really a disapointment merely but upsetting to me because I was actually hoping James Toney was gonna back his mouth up and make some noise in the HW division, but his poor showing against Rahman and not coming in shape for that fight has made me loose even more respect for him. I believe he has the talent but size differance between him and the rest of the heavies is to much for him.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A place in the top ten for Donald Briggs and Austin yet no place for Valuev? Pathetic.

Wlad has fallen the furthest. In the Peter fight alone he fell a dozen times totalling 88 feet.

When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

williams makes me sick, i dont know how he could possibly be regarded as a big name like some people do regard him, i mean beat a shot tyson, stopped by vitali, and beat skelton once and the two skelton williams fights were terrible, they dont impress me one bit.
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Valuev just because hes huge does not mean that he should win such a bs decision like the ruiz fight .

El Kabong Guest

#1 Byrd is no longer in my top 10 because he showed a true lack of any skill that he had at the prime of his career...he wins with solid defense and quick hands and those were so bad in his last fight I don't think he'll cause anyone any trouble in the division

#2 Sorry I forgot Brock won the UD...my bad

#3 Yes Memphis Valuev is not in my top 10...name someone good he truthfully beat!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I expect alot from Brock but his last fight was very poor.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

for a great post Lyle.

The only fighter of the bunch you mentioned I would say disappointed me is James Toney, because he is clearly capable of so much more. Prior to the Rahman fight I really thought he could beat everybody with the exception of Wlad, but then I thought Wlad would come unstuck to some of the bigger punchers in the division so I thought Toney had a real chance of becoming the top man at heavyweight.

His performance against Rahman was very uninspiring, more so when we consider Maskaev's KO of Rahman this week.

Of the others, I expected nothing from them at all anyway. I've always thought Danny Williams was a waste of space so his dismal display against Skelton was the least suprising event of 2006 so far.

I like Brewster, but he has a record of being outboxed by anyone half decent so again not a major suprise, I don't really see anything special in any of the others.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

#3 Yes Memphis Valuev is not in my top 10...name someone good he truthfully beat!
    Ruiz. Next question. In return name one decent fighter Ray Austin has beaten. Youve put him in on the back of a draw for christs sake, with a man who doesnt crack your top ten.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis

Ruiz. Next question. In return name one decent fighter Ray Austin has beaten. Youve put him in on the back of a draw for christs sake, with a man who doesnt crack your top ten.
    ruiz is good?
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont like him any more than the next man but his resume is a good one. If you care to tell me who Austin has beaten that tops Ruiz Im all ears

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    I dont like him any more than the next man but his resume is a good one. If you care to tell me who Austin has beaten that tops Ruiz Im all ears
    hehe i dont care to because i dont care for austin or his record! and its not me you asked in the first place!!
    i didnt put him here!
    his record is not great its fair though better then austins
    he never bettered holyfield since theres a win each way and a draw.
    rahman and galota...good wins not seen the fights but theyr names on the record
    but hes very inconsistand and a jackass of a man!!
    Immortal Technique

Thread Information