Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 22-0-21 ko's Rodriguez makes headlines as he headlines in Houston!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 22-0-21 ko's Rodriguez makes headlines as he headlines in Houston!

Rodriguez headlines in Houston!
    Browning Boxing back in action

August 16, 2006

By Peter Lim
    http://www.fightnews.com/lim17.htm

Heavyweight David Rodriguez will get a chance to annul the only blemish – if you can even call it a blemish – on his almost-perfect record of 22-0 (21 KOs). Rodriguez is scheduled to take on John Turlington at the latest Browning Boxing Fight Night on Thursday, August 17 at the Houston Grand Plaza in Houston, TX. Turlington, 5-9-1 (4 KOs), remains the only man to have heard the final bell against Rodriguez when he lost a four-round decision to Rodriguez last year.

"I honestly don't see this as anything personal," Rodriguez said. "I see it as just another obstacle. My management picked this fight for me and he's just another opponent I need to get by. I take John Turlington very seriously."

Although the caliber of his opposition has been anything but impressive, Rodriguez' 20 first-round knockouts still says a lot about his ability to crack. Blessed with a lethal combination of natural speed and power, the 6'5" El Paso native has demonstrated the capacity to flatten opponents at any given moment with either fist.

"If I can go home early," Rodriguez said, "I'm going home early."

Unlike most heavyweight headhunters, Rodriguez is partial to banging the body in the style typical of lighter-weight Mexican fighters. Trained by Louie Burke, Rodriguez, 28, thinks the time is fast approaching for him to clean up a division as chaotic and fractured as the former Soviet Union from where all the current titleholders hail.

"A lot of people say that the heavyweight division's weak but I just think that there are so many belts out there and everyone that has a belt doesn't want to fight each other," Rodriguez said. "So you can't really decide who's the best because they don't fight each other. When I get a chance to get a belt, I'm going to fight everybody else who has a belt."
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 22-0-21 ko's Rodriguez makes headlines as he headlines in Houston!

Thanks for that Wack,owe you in24. Anyone seen this guy in action? Is he Mexican?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Phenomena
    Thanks for that Wack,owe you in24. Anyone seen this guy in action? Is he Mexican?
    He's a heavyweight Game, how can he possibly be a Mexican, they are little pigmy folk, don't go any bigger than welter :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kinda sad that a man with 22 wins is fighting a guy with 5...this is pathetic and should be ignored...may he lose this setup fight and become forgotten. this is why boxing loses credibility!!
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu
    Kinda sad that a man with 22 wins is fighting a guy with 5...this is pathetic and should be ignored...may he lose this setup fight and become forgotten. this is why boxing loses credibility!!
    I don't know about all that.

He's new blood in the division. Any new talent at heavy is worth noticing. Let's just hope he steps up soon.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think you have to wonder about a guy that's taking so long to step up even slightly. I mean his record of opponents is kinda, actually not kinda, ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    I think you have to wonder about a guy that's taking so long to step up even slightly. I mean his record of opponents is kinda, actually not kinda, ridiculous.
    True. I'm just eager to see what the guy brings to the table. I've read a lot about him since that interview deal & have heard a lot of good things...but the opposition does bring much in to question/scrutiny.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    True. I'm just eager to see what the guy brings to the table. I've read a lot about him since that interview deal & have heard a lot of good things...but the opposition does bring much in to question/scrutiny.
    But you can't really see what he brings to the table until he stops eating off the floor... Especially with supposed big punchers, imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm heading out to see this fight in a few moments. I'll try to take some notes for you guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So here is my report:

Rodriguez has extremely quick hands for a 6'5" man and he does seem to have some power. He is strong at body work. I could tell the body punches hurt by Turlington's expression. Turlington, contrary to what Rodriguez says in that article, could not really be called "an obstacle".

Rodriguez didn't show much defense to speak of (not that he needed any). Turlington came right at him and managed to back him up with a couple of solid exchanges in the 1st that seemed to surprise Rodriguez. I was bothered by this because it almost looked like he wasn't used to being hit at all. I guess 1st round KO's will do that to a guy.

Rodriguez needs to step up. He is pushing 30 and far better than his recent opposition. It seems a waste to keep knocking them over when there's no challenge. How far he can go will depend entirely on his chin. He has good hands and likely some real power to boot. His body work will serve him well at higher levels.

Thread Information