Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COTTO VS. URKAL FOR THE WBA WELTERWEIGHT TITLE!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default COTTO VS. URKAL FOR THE WBA WELTERWEIGHT TITLE!!!

If Hatton drops to 140 to fight Urango, he'll vacate his WBA 147 belt and Cotto and Urkal will go to war for the belt

Welterweight title bout for Cotto?
    Top Rank promoter Bob Arum and Showtime are sorting though possible opponents for junior welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto and welterweight belt holder Antonio Margarito to face in their Dec. 2 doubleheader in Atlantic City, N.J.

Cotto

Margarito, who will open the telecast, probably will face Joshua Clottey, Arum told ESPN.com. That's the easy part. Clottey was in Las Vegas for last week's Rahman-Maskaev heavyweight title fight and to meet with Arum, who said they are close to a deal.

Cotto's situation is a little more unclear. However, the Puerto Rican star is moving up to welterweight and it is possible that his debut at the weight could be a for a world title.

Should title holder Ricky Hatton drop back down to junior welterweight to challenge Juan Urango for his old belt -- Hatton's most likely move -- Hatton would vacate the 147-pound belt he won in May rather than face mandatory challenger Oktay Urkal of Germany.

Margarito

Arum said Cotto could wind up facing Urkal for the vacant belt on the Showtime card. It would be contingent upon Carlos Quintana stepping aside to allow the fight.

Quintana's June 24 victory over Joel "Love Child" Julio put him in position to either challenge the winner of a Hatton-Urkal bout or to challenge for the vacant belt.

Ron Katz of Northeast Promotions, which promotes Quintana, said they are open to making a deal with Top Rank.

"We've been entertaining offers from different promoters, Top Rank included, about the possibility of making some sort of deal with regard to Quintana," Katz said. "If it was with Top Rank, we would have to figure out a short term plan for Quintana that would allow Cotto to fight Urkal for the vacant title. Anything is possible. We're open to the idea, but it depends on the nature of the deal."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=2552728

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: COTTO VS. URKAL FOR THE WBA WELTERWEIGHT TITLE!!!

Not an intriguing matchup, to say the least, but I think it is a good move to go up to 147 and it should make for some interesting fights, this is just not one of them.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'm just saying that it's a good step up in opposition

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

F**k Urkal that would be an easy win for Cotto! I'd prefer Cotto & Quintana to say stuff the alphabet strap & take on each other. That would be a great fight & more people would want to see that one. I'd much rather see Cotto & Quintana go at it than either of them fighting Urkal.
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy76
    F**k Urkal that would be an easy win for Cotto! I'd prefer Cotto & Quintana to say stuff the alphabet strap & take on each other. That would be a great fight & more people would want to see that one. I'd much rather see Cotto & Quintana go at it than either of them fighting Urkal.
    I'd rather see that too, but I think Cotto should get a free pass on his first fight at 147. He can take a real challenge after he's had a fight at the weight. And Urkal isn't as bummy as he could have gone (though nor is he good).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy76
    I reckon Quintana will find it hard to get a top name to fight him right now. The way he handled Julio, the guy has talent.

But with no titles and less of a fanbase than Margarito he wont be top of many champions list for a title defense

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margarito offered Quintana a match but he declined and I have heard he will be fighting Collazo,should be a good one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jumping up to 147 for Cotto is a mistake...He isn't that good of a fighter very over rated....The talent pool is very thick at welter...Cottos power wont be able to get him through the tough moments like it has at 140
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Phenomena
    Margarito offered Quintana a match but he declined
    where did you hear that?
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    where did you hear that?

Maracho posted a link a week ago,that's where i heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    Jumping up to 147 for Cotto is a mistake...He isn't that good of a fighter very over rated....The talent pool is very thick at welter...Cottos power wont be able to get him through the tough moments like it has at 140
    Cotto had tough moments against the Torres and Corley,thats it.= and against Corley,it was his intelligence that could him out of trouble. What makes Cotto over rated? Cotto won't fail like Hatton did because he has more skill imo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

where did you hear that?

Link please Mr Jetson
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

where did you hear that?

Cotto had tough moments against the Torres and Corley,thats it.= and against Corley,it was his intelligence that could him out of trouble. What makes Cotto over rated? Cotto won't fail like Hatton did because he has more skill imo.
    Too much Hype with too little...To back it up....Please give me examples of his boxing skill? Other he can hit hard...IMO his jaw isn't all that good..Just IMO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well firstly,take away Tszyu from Hatton's resume and Cotto has fought by far and away the better fighters. Second,you can see he has skill from the following:

He can fight backfoot(abdullaev,Ndou)
    Front foot (most fights)
    Great body shots
    has lateral movement but can bang too
    Has fought bangers(Torres,Pinto)experinced fighters and ex champs(bailey,Corley etc),undefeated prospects and boxers(Malignaggi),Olympians(Abdul) etc etc That's a very very good resujme which just needs the big names and as for not havinbg a good chin:

He was fighting Torres who had a 98% KO ratio and the knockdown was a push,he took the rest of the punches clean which showed he has a great chin +but poor D in that fight)
    and Corley,he got caught on the temple,nothing to do with the jaw,and Corley has also shaken Mayweather.

Need I go further bro??

Majety,when Maracho comes on,ask him for the link man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well firstly,take away Tszyu from Hatton's resume and Cotto has fought by far and away the better fighters. Second,you can see he has skill from the following:

Front foot (most fights)
    Great body shots
    Has fought bangers(Torres,Pinto)experinced fighters and ex champs(bailey,Corley etc),undefeated prospects and boxers(Malignaggi),Olympians(Abdul) etc etc That's a very very good resujme which just needs the big names and as for not havinbg a good chin:

He was fighting Torres who had a 98% KO ratio and the knockdown was a push,he took the rest of the punches clean which showed he has a great chin +but poor D in that fight)
    and Corley,he got caught on the temple,nothing to do with the jaw,and Corley has also shaken Mayweather.

Need I go further bro??

YOU CAN GO ON FOR HOURS BUT FACT IS he is still overrated!!!!! and why are you making excuses for his poor perfomances??....Where do I ever mention Hatton and compare the two? so why are you sitting there comparing them in defense of Cotto?....Get over it Cotto is an average boxer with Power and THATS IT!!!!!!.....As for Hatton since you seem to have this complex about him when speaking of Cotto....He is nothing more than a punch macHine with no defense and limited speed who was Lucky in his bout with Colozzo. He will get killed the first time a guy with speed that is a hit and run fighter...Hatton also has a limited jaw he has been down against fighters not even in the top 10...Happy I also said what I think of Hatton so you dont have to think I am picking on Cotto....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Front foot (most fights)
    Great body shots

Need I go further bro??

YOU CAN GO ON FOR HOURS BUT FACT IS he is still overrated!!!!! and why are you making excuses for his poor perfomances??....Where do I ever mention Hatton and compare the two? so why are you sitting there comparing them in defense of Cotto?....Get over it Cotto is an average boxer with Power and THATS IT!!!!!!.....As for Hatton since you seem to have this complex about him when speaking of Cotto....He is nothing more than a punch macHine with no defense and limited speed who was Lucky in his bout with Colozzo. He will get killed the first time a guy with speed that is a hit and run fighter...Hatton also has a limited jaw he has been down against fighters not even in the top 10...Happy I also said what I think of Hatton so you dont have to think I am picking on Cotto....
    I wouldn't say someone is overrated when they are undefeated and at the top of their respective division With Hatton at 147 and Castillo at 135 who is left at 140 that could beat Cotto?

Thread Information