Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Nigel Benn training info

(extracts from Benn's autobiog)

From Jan '86 through to May '89 (under Brian Lynch):

(different extracts)

We restricted sparring because there was little point in getting battered before a fight, and we also got rid of the old-style punch bag which used to injure quite a few fighters, even breaking their hands. For punching exercises, we used a floor-to-ceiling speedball and a swinging, lightweight sandbag. I would also shadow-box holding a 15lb barbell in each hand and run five to six miles a day, as well as play squash and do vigorous body-stretching exercises.
    --

He used to train me three times a day but there is only so much a body will take. When I left him, I cut down my training to twice a day. He was working me to the bone and I found I couldn't take it any more. My body would say, 'Don't you think you are taking this too far?' I wanted to listen to my instincts but Brian kept impressing on me the need for hard training. I now think that is not proven. I've proved through my own success that you don't need to push things so far, that you should listen to what your body tells you and call it a day when you've had enough. No matter what any trainer might tell you, you can't argue the case against solid facts and results. My argument is backed up by two world titles.

From Galvano '92 through to Giminez'94 (under Jimmy Tibbs):

(different extracts)

Back at my beach-front apartment in Torviscas, there was a gym and boxing ring where Jimmy trained me. He was particularly good with the pads and took a hell of a slamming from me every day, brainwashing me with his technique while I hammered away at him.
    --

Jimmy Tibbs set up a training schedule - this is it straight from the horse's mouth: 'We're going to start with loosening up and stretching exercises, then do three or four rounds' shadow boxing with weights on the hands and one round with them off, then four or five more with pads. After that, we'll do some more shadow boxing, skipping and ground work and have a good loosening up. Weight training will take place every other day and then, for two weeks before the fight, we'll have a sparring partner for nine to 10 rounds per day. We may take it down to six some days. The art of the game is to peak on the night. I don't worry about an off-day here or there. Just relax and come back again.
    --

We used to train three times a day but that was too excessive, so we cut it down to twice a day. Jimmy knew how to get me buzzing. He and I both liked the pads and he always got the best out of me. He is very aggressive but knows what he is doing. Some people who had trained me in the past didn't really know what they were doing. Jimmy pushes me to my limit, which is important. We tried to cover every muscle of the body, even the neck. We put 100 per cent effort into training. The training is so intense that it is difficult to believe you're putting yourself through such a strenuous regime. Compared to that, the fight is easy. Timing is also very important. You've got to pace yourself and not peak too early. You have to know when to slow down or even stop for a day. I'm not going to kill myself. I only wish I knew what I know now when I was 25.
    --

Canary Islands also offered a more temperate climate in winter and the opportunity for high-altitude running on Mount Teide. There is nothing more beautiful and fulfilling than running at an altitude of about 8,000 feet among snow-capped peaks in bright sunshine, well above the clouds. I can retreat into a world of my own, my own galaxy. Just me and my music and, later, the satisfaction that comes from physically punishing yourself. You can clear your mind of all anxieties and problems in that surrealistic 'moonscape' where they shot Planet of the Apes, and be at peace with the world. That's where I get my 'high'. When I was training for the Wharton fight, Sean, my cook, used to accompany me, driving behind me as I ran past each milepost. I'd run six to eight miles and then increase it to 10 and even more. That's equivalent to running up to 15 miles at sea level.
    --

I got my schedule down to a fine art. I'd get up about 9.00am and have breakfast of fish or chicken and a bowl of porridge with a banana. Then I'd take 15 iron tablets, two zinc, two multivitamin and some other tablets and, afterwards, drive to Mount Teide to a level of 8,000-9,000ft above sea level. That would take 45 minutes, by which time the tablets would have been digested. The air up there is really thin. It took me quite a long time to understand about altitude training but I eventually mastered it. I ran about eight miles every day for a week. Then I increased the distance to ten and then twelve, before reducing it to eight, and then up again to as high as fifteen. I was careful not to overdo it. As I've said, I love the altitude; it's the only place where I feel so much at peace with myself. There is no one to bother you. It's like paradise. It's so beautiful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nigel Benn training info

im reading that now!! i bought it for a good friend of mine while he was in hospital and he leant me it a week ago!! its cool reading about the dark destroyer, but god damn i think hes a sex addict!! :P
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nigel Benn training info

Quote Originally Posted by body head banger
    i think hes a sex addict!!
    He certainly was..

Thread Information