Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Antonio "Tony" Margarito interview(Mosley in sight?!)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Antonio "Tony" Margarito interview(Mosley in sight?!)

http://www.fightnews.com/leon14.htm

Fightnews.com was able to talk to current WBO welterweight champion Antonio Margarito as he enjoyed the fights Thursday night in his hometown of Tijuana, MX. Margarito was in high spirits and he shared his thoughts about his next scheduled fight, Mayweather vs. Baldomir and his sparring session with his #1 mandatory Paul Williams.

Tony, is your fight with Joshua Clottey finalized for Dec. 2nd?
    I haven’t signed anything as of yet. They also have another fighter on the list as of right now, but for the life of me I cannot remember his name. More than likely it will be Clottey.

What do you think of Clottey? Have you seen film of him?
    Yes, I saw his last couple of fights. He looks to be a good fighter, very strong. He seems to like to go to the body a lot so we will be working on defending against that in camp.

Where is the fight going to take place?
    It’s going to be in Atlantic City with Miguel Cotto also fighting on the card.

What are your thoughts on Floyd Mayweather Jr. opting to fight Carlos Baldomir?
    Honestly, I think he is scared. Top Rank offered a lot of money to fight me and if he thinks he can beat me so easily, he should have taken the fight and the money. Mayweather says that he is a business man but his actions don’t show that. But he can’t run forever, this is a fight that a lot of fans are asking for and I know that down the road we are going to meet in the ring.

One of the reasons that Mayweather has stated for fighting Baldomir over you is that he wants to fight for the linear welterweight title which Baldomir holds, your thoughts?
    I think those are just excuses. No disrespect to Baldomir, but before his fight with Judah, he wasn’t on the radar. I know that Mayweather is the favorite, but I will be rooting for Baldomir. Maybe if Baldomir wins, he will choose to fight me.

Is there any truth to Paul Williams’ claim that he dropped you in sparring and that is why he was asked to leave your camp?
    No truth whatsoever. I have heard that he has said that he knocked me down, that he gave me big problems and there is no truth to that. I can’t believe that certain media outlets are reporting that as fact.

So you would like to publicly deny those claims?
    Absolutely.

Was he asked to leave camp?
    No, he left. He helped me when I was getting ready for Daniel Santos. He came to camp at the tail end of it and he came in too heavy to be much use for me.

He is your mandatory for your WBO belt, will you face him?
    Absolutely, he has earned the right to fight me for my belt and I will respect the Organization. With God’s will, we will be victorious in our next bout and there is talk of maybe facing Sugar Shane Mosely so once that happens or if it doesn’t go through, we will face Williams if he keeps his rank.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Antonio "Tony" Margarito interview(Mosley in sight?!)

Arum would never let Margarito fight Mosley
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    Agreed.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think eventually Margarito will join "Golden Boy Promotions" and instead of Oscar fighting PBF, businessman Oscar will arrange good $$$ to get Tony and Floyd Jr. to fight down the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chicali
    I think eventually Margarito will join "Golden Boy Promotions" and instead of Oscar fighting PBF, businessman Oscar will arrange good $$$ to get Tony and Floyd Jr. to fight down the road.
    How did you come to that conclusion?

I think he will, if Tony doesn't get a named fighter soon he will lose his "Most ducked fighter" status Arum has brilliantly promoted so far and people will lose intrest. If Tony doesn't show us if he is for real soon then he will fade away and he wont get the big fights he is looking for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its simple, if you can't beat them (money & businesswise), then join 'em. 'Golden Boy' will get Tony the big fight he needs. Arum Top Rank hasnt been able to get him the big fight and Golden Boy is offering all kinds i.e. winky ouma even sugar shane now is in rumorville coming from Tony himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do hope tony joins golden boy and gets a big fight but not at junior middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tony fight Paul Williams im really interested to see if this kid has it all or is real overated!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margarito's gonna have a hard enough time handling Clottey. Mosley will tear him up. But he needs to take a big fight like Mosley to get the exposure he needs. If he was victorious against Mosley then Floyd would fight him right away because he has proved he can hang with the big boys. Wins over Clottey & Williams will only be looked at as solid wins, where as a victory over Mosley confirms that Margarito is for real!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmmm Oscar's last pick from the stable for Margarito is Mosley. Mosely has said on numerous occasions and to PBF himself that he want the winner of PBF/Margarito. PBF must think Mosely is less risky than Margarito and maybe Mosely thinks Margarito is less risky than PBF. What does it all mean? I dont know but I am sure Oscar is influencing shane's decisions.

Anyway Mosely does not impress me greatly with his losses to forrest, Winky, one gift win over Oscar and now turning down PBF's latest challenge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Silly statement and where is the basis on fact?? If Arum was willing to match Tony with PBF who is better than Shane,why would he not want him to match with Shane? I think Margarito could beat Shane and Shane knows this which is why when asked about Tony,he said he was a tough tough fighter and he said he was not ready for him and also,he put the spotlight on Floyd,like Maracho mentioned. I'd like to see this fight and I would certainl favour Tony,Shane does not look as speedy as he used to.It would prove to me whether all my belief on Tony is justified so I really want to see it!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Phenomena
    Silly statement and where is the basis on fact?? If Arum was willing to match Tony with PBF who is better than Shane,why would he not want him to match with Shane? I think Margarito could beat Shane and Shane knows this which is why when asked about Tony,he said he was a tough tough fighter and he said he was not ready for him and also,he put the spotlight on Floyd,like Maracho mentioned. I'd like to see this fight and I would certainl favour Tony,Shane does not look as speedy as he used to.It would prove to me whether all my belief on Tony is justified so I really want to see it!
    I think Margarito: Mosley is an interesting matchup. Mosley has the edge in speed, skills and experience and to be honest I dont see Margarito stopping Shane easily.

I would have to give the nod to Mosley in a tough fought decision...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

True,Mosley has the edge in speed,skills etc and it would be a close fight but I think Tony's stamina and volume of punches would discomfort Shane and although Shane would definitely have his moments,I think Margarito's superior conditioning and just pure pressure would show.

Thread Information