0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 'Boxing Banker' ready to cash in

'Boxing Banker' ready to cash in

http://www.itv-boxing.com/News/Story...445496,00.html

Calvin Brock is not your average heavyweight.

The North Carolina native is an intelligent, God-fearing type who still serves as an usher in his local church.

He has a degree in finance, enjoys the theatre and in his spare time likes to tap dance.

Oh, and did I mention that he's also a highly skilled, unbeaten box-puncher who might just be America's best hope of reclaiming the heavyweight title?

After Oleg Maskaev knocked out Hasim Rahman recently the US found themselves without a world heavyweight champion for the first time in living memory.

The nation that spawned John L Sullivan, the two Jack's (Johnson and Dempsey), Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali has somehow been reduced to a bit part player in boxing's blue chip division as the men from the former Soviet Union stride purposfully from behind the Iron Curtain.

In boxing, as in life however, timing is everything.

And the time could be just about right for the 29-0 (22) Brock to strike a blow back for Uncle Sam.

Brock is living proof that not all nice guys finish last, and Derek Bilton caught up with him as he resumed training after his impressive recent win over Timor Ibragimov.

ITV: Much has been made of the fact that you are America's biggest hope now in the heavyweight division and I'd expect the hype to intensify following Hasim Rahman's recent defeat to Oleg Maskaev. How comfortable are you carrying the heavyweight hopes of a nation?

CB: I have no doubt I'll become the undisputed champion in the near future, so I'm comfortable carrying the weight.

ITV: We last saw you in with Timor Ibragimov in a battle of unbeatens. You won the fight fairly handily from what I saw against a difficult opponent. How would you evaluate your display in Las Vegas?

CB: I feel I boxed the perfect fight against Ibragimov's style.

ITV:Are you still officially resting after that fight or are you now back in the gym and if so, has anything been mentioned by your promoters with regard to your next opponent?

CB: No I'm back in the gym now. Just stay tuned to the news about my next opponent.

ITV: I've followed your career for some years now and been impressed by the way you have conducted your business both inside and outside the ring. Given your standing in the game right now how much do you pride yourself on being a positive role model?

CB: God's purpose behind my career is to be a role model for Christ, so I pride myself in acting like it.

ITV: You are not the most typical heavyweight out there given what you have achieved outside of the ring. I understand you are educated to degree level and have worked for Bank of America in your time, hence your nickname?

CB: True. Bank of America used my likeness in a USAToday advertisement and called me the 'Boxing Banker'.

ITV: It must have been pretty tough combining your studies with your burgeoning boxing career?

CB: It was. It was grinding work from sun up to sun down.

ITV: I also understand your first love was/is, like the great Sugar Ray Robinson, tap dancing?

CB: True, I first wanted to tap dance at seven-years-old. I chose boxing first and started tapping at age 26.

ITV: You enjoyed a stellar amateur career and actually made the 2000 US Olympic team. What are your memories of your time in a vest and head guard?

CB: Great memories. I won all the US national championships and went to the Olympics.

ITV: Having beaten the likes of Clifford Etienne, Jameel McCline and Ibragimov in a perfect pro career to date, how are you looking to push on in 2007?

CB: Honestly, I want to box in world championship fights.

ITV: Of the four main world title holders now, who do you see as the best and who the most beatable?

CB: I see Wladimir Klitschko as best right now and (Oleg) Maskaev as the most beatable.

ITV: If you could cast aside promotional/cable network red tape, who would you like to fight in 2007 from a personal point of view?

CB: Whoever. Whoever the public demands.

ITV: There has been plenty of discussion of late as to why quality young heavyweights are not breaking through in the US anymore. Do you have your own theory on the subject?

CB: Young US heavyweights are starting boxing too late. They box after they fail to make it pro in the NFL, NBA, and MLB. So, I think it will get worse before it gets better.

Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 'Boxing Banker' ready to cash in

Brock may be good at alot of things but he is not great at anything......I don't see him as an elite fighter and fighting Wlad will show this.....or Tua....or even Brewster.....overrated comes to mind.....
    It feels good to be back home.

El Kabong Guest

He's not overrated...BUT people expect too much from him.

Brock is a decent heavyweight and even when Wlad beats him he's going to have a good shot at winning a title sometime.

I give Brock a good/better chance vs
    Sam Peter
    Lamon Brewster
    Sergei Lyakhovich
    Nicolay Valuev

Those guys are deficient in some area...Peter can't box, Brewster with McGirt will try to box too much, Sergei has no power, Valuev doesn't have too much power either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    'Boxing Banker' ready to cash in

http://www.itv-boxing.com/News/Story...445496,00.html

Calvin Brock is not your average heavyweight.

The North Carolina native is an intelligent, God-fearing type who still serves as an usher in his local church.

He has a degree in finance, enjoys the theatre and in his spare time likes to tap dance.

Oh, and did I mention that he's also a highly skilled, unbeaten box-puncher who might just be America's best hope of reclaiming the heavyweight title?

After Oleg Maskaev knocked out Hasim Rahman recently the US found themselves without a world heavyweight champion for the first time in living memory.

The nation that spawned John L Sullivan, the two Jack's (Johnson and Dempsey), Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali has somehow been reduced to a bit part player in boxing's blue chip division as the men from the former Soviet Union stride purposfully from behind the Iron Curtain.

In boxing, as in life however, timing is everything.

And the time could be just about right for the 29-0 (22) Brock to strike a blow back for Uncle Sam.

Brock is living proof that not all nice guys finish last, and Derek Bilton caught up with him as he resumed training after his impressive recent win over Timor Ibragimov.

ITV: Much has been made of the fact that you are America's biggest hope now in the heavyweight division and I'd expect the hype to intensify following Hasim Rahman's recent defeat to Oleg Maskaev. How comfortable are you carrying the heavyweight hopes of a nation?

CB: I have no doubt I'll become the undisputed champion in the near future, so I'm comfortable carrying the weight.

ITV: We last saw you in with Timor Ibragimov in a battle of unbeatens. You won the fight fairly handily from what I saw against a difficult opponent. How would you evaluate your display in Las Vegas?

CB: I feel I boxed the perfect fight against Ibragimov's style.

ITV:Are you still officially resting after that fight or are you now back in the gym and if so, has anything been mentioned by your promoters with regard to your next opponent?

CB: No I'm back in the gym now. Just stay tuned to the news about my next opponent.

ITV: I've followed your career for some years now and been impressed by the way you have conducted your business both inside and outside the ring. Given your standing in the game right now how much do you pride yourself on being a positive role model?

CB: God's purpose behind my career is to be a role model for Christ, so I pride myself in acting like it.

ITV: You are not the most typical heavyweight out there given what you have achieved outside of the ring. I understand you are educated to degree level and have worked for Bank of America in your time, hence your nickname?

CB: True. Bank of America used my likeness in a USAToday advertisement and called me the 'Boxing Banker'.

ITV: It must have been pretty tough combining your studies with your burgeoning boxing career?

CB: It was. It was grinding work from sun up to sun down.

ITV: I also understand your first love was/is, like the great Sugar Ray Robinson, tap dancing?

CB: True, I first wanted to tap dance at seven-years-old. I chose boxing first and started tapping at age 26.

ITV: You enjoyed a stellar amateur career and actually made the 2000 US Olympic team. What are your memories of your time in a vest and head guard?

CB: Great memories. I won all the US national championships and went to the Olympics.

ITV: Having beaten the likes of Clifford Etienne, Jameel McCline and Ibragimov in a perfect pro career to date, how are you looking to push on in 2007?

CB: Honestly, I want to box in world championship fights.

ITV: Of the four main world title holders now, who do you see as the best and who the most beatable?

CB: I see Wladimir Klitschko as best right now and (Oleg) Maskaev as the most beatable.

ITV: If you could cast aside promotional/cable network red tape, who would you like to fight in 2007 from a personal point of view?

CB: Whoever. Whoever the public demands.

ITV: There has been plenty of discussion of late as to why quality young heavyweights are not breaking through in the US anymore. Do you have your own theory on the subject?

CB: Young US heavyweights are starting boxing too late. They box after they fail to make it pro in the NFL, NBA, and MLB. So, I think it will get worse before it gets better.

Who wrote this piece of crap?

“Brock is living proof that not all nice guys finish last, and Derek Bilton caught up with him as he resumed training after his impressive recent win over Timor Ibragimov.”

Impressive?!!!!!!!! Who is this shit writer trying to fool?

Poor America if they now has to count on an Afro tap dancer….

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC for the read, Wacko...

I like Brock a lot. He is a very sensible fighter and has a solid all round game. Wlad could be a step far a little too early for my liking. But if he can slip the jab and manage to unload somehow, then he has a chance. Im not sure if Brock is the one to do this though...

Thread Information