Troubled WBO featherweight champion Scott Harrison has ditched long-term manager Frank Maloney as he bids to get his career back on track.
The 29-year-old, who pulled out of a title defence in May after depression and alcohol problems, has signed with Barry Hughes at Braveheart Promotions.

"I know nothing about this but I'm sure I will survive the loss of Scott Harrison," said Maloney.

Harrison must defend his title against Juan Manuel Marquez by 4 November.

The fight will take place on home turf after Harrison's promoter, Frank Warren, outbid Marquez's promoter Oscar De La Hoya for the right to stage the contest.

However, no venue or date has yet been confirmed for the bout.

Warren said: "I'm delighted that I have secured my man the home advantage for his world title defence against Marquez.

"It will be a tough fight and every advantage we can get will count in Scott's favour."

There is more to being a manager than turning up for fights and weigh-ins

Barry Hughes

Hughes believes the Mexican is in for a surprise when he comes up against Harrison.

"What has happened has led people into a false sense of security because Scott is in the best physical and mental shape of his career," Hughes said.

"His preparation will be better than ever before because he wants it more than anything.

"People have written him off now but when you are written off, you come back with a great performance."

The Cambuslang fighter faces four criminal charges, including police assault, and is due in court on 6 September.

Harrison pulled out of his title defence against Gairy St Clair in Belfast at just five days' notice.

He then walked out of rehab clinics in Glasgow and London, before the WBO granted a disability extension of 180 days to make the next mandatory defence of his title.

Hughes added: "Frank Maloney did a good job with Scott but there is more to being a manager than turning up for fights and weigh-ins.

"When a boxer has problems it doesn't help that his manager lives in a different country and doesn't know what's happening to him. I'll be more hands-on than that.

"The Boxing Board of Control sanctioned it and they wouldn't have sanctioned it if there was any conflict."