Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Q&A: Marco Antonio Barrera!

http://www.fightnews.com/leon15.htm

Legendary Marco Antonio Barrera (62-4, 42KO) spoke to fightnews via telephone as he prepared for his rematch with Houston TX’s Rocky Juarez (25-2, 18KO) for the WBC super featherweight title. Phoning in from high in the mountains surrounding his native Mexico City, Barrera spoke about his upcoming fight, his preparation and his thoughts on his future in boxing.

Hello Marco, how is camp coming along?

Very good, we are preparing for this fight. I have some great sparring partners such as Anthony Salcido of San Diego and Alejandro Barrera all giving me good work.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of having your camp in Mexico City versus Big Bear, CA?

Well, here in Mexico City we are much higher in altitude. Much of my conditioning is done at about 11,500 feet above sea level and our gym is at 8200 feet above sea level. Much higher than Big Bear.

Is your preparation for the rematch the same as the first?

No not at all. It is very different. We are being very careful with the details of the training. The training for the first fight was a continuation for a fight that fell thru in March, against Jesus Chavez so I actually trained from December of last year until May for that fight.

Would you have been satisfied with the initial announcement of a draw for the first fight or do you think you definitely won that fight?

I would not been satisfied with a draw. I think we definitely won that fight. I was in the shower when I was told that we had won. But we weren’t prepared to argue the fight, we respect the judges' decision, in fact, some fights that I have lost that we felt that we had won, we have not argued. We watched the fight ten to fifteen times and I think we won. I don’t like controversy; whether we win we want it without controversy, same thing if we happen to lose.

I noticed that in your last fight, you reached the ring the heaviest ever in your career, do you think that the weight had an effect in the results of that first fight?

It had no effect since the weight that was reported was false. I was weighed fully dressed with shoes on, watch, cellular, shirt, pants. We were being pressured by the California commission, we wanted to weigh in nude but we weren’t allowed.

Did Juarez surprise you with anything in the first fight?

No, there were no surprises. We know that Juarez is young, with a lot of energy, hungry to win with a lot of experience especially in the amateur ranks. I remember when I was in his position so we knew that he came to win and that it was going to be a hard fight.

On the other side of the token, do you think you surprised Rocky with any part of your style?

No I don’t think we surprised him, just short of my experience. He is young and he has a lot of hunger so we think that he prepared himself for the fight so I don’t think there were any surprises for him, he knew who he was facing.

I have read reports that either yourself or somebody from your team has stated that this second fight is now personal with Juarez which is a statement that is not common coming from your camp, any reason behind that?

No, I don’t believe in that report. My team doesn’t speak that way. I would like to discredit that account. It is not personal; we act in a very high sportsmanship, professional manner. We are confident that we will win again.

I assume that this is your last fight of the year?

Yes, with this bout we close out the year.

When do you expect to fight next year and against whom?

Well, next year, 2007 is the last year for Marco Antonio Barrera. I have thought about it, I have discussed it with my family and my team, this is news that I have not even spoken with my promoter yet, Oscar de la Hoya. We want to fight two or three times in 2007 and then we are leaving the stage set for those younger warriors.

In what city would you want to fight for the first time or return to fight in the last year for Barrera?

We would love to fight in Mexico City but we know that the big fights are held in the United States, especially Las Vegas. We are going to discuss it with Oscar and see if we can make this dream come true and have the pleasure of fighting in my native city.

In an ideal world, who would be your rivals for those last three fights?

I haven’t really thought about it but the fight that comes to mind would be a rematch with Manny Pacquiao.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Q&A: Marco Antonio Barrera!

pacman destoryed barrera. why would you want a rematch with a guy that kicked your ass ?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ds91
    pacman destoryed barrera. why would you want a rematch with a guy that kicked your a** ?
    Because he might beat him with the correct preparation and gameplan....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    pacman destoryed barrera. why would you want a rematch with a guy that kicked your a** ?
    i guess your right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    I cosign!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac is the only fight left for Barrera that means anything

And if he did get revenge on Pac it would be an outstanding conclusion to an already outstanding career

Hope it happens but I bet it dont
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marco Antonio Barerra - what a great fighter and what a great pro he has been.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He'l fight pac by the end of 07 . lets just hope pac doesnt mess it up by losing to erik again

Thread Information