Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: The Super Middles are being busy bees so far this weekend!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Super Middles are being busy bees so far this weekend!!!

The Super Middles are being busy bees so far this weekend!!!

#1 Andrade destroys Grant!

http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2...EleUPgpNK.html

Friday, September 15 2006

WBC #1 rated super middleweight Librado Andrade (24-0, 18 KOs) made short work of Richard "The Alien" Grant (18-14-1, 4 KOs) on Friday night at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. A barrage of unanswered punches put "The Alien" on the deck where he was counted out by referee John O'Brien at 2:49. Andrade, the mandatory challenger for WBC champion Marcus Beyer, stepped aside to allow Beyer to accept the October 14 superfight against WBA champ Mikkel Kessler. He has been promised the winner.

Bute tames Toney!
    http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2...pjRnNOhul.html
    By Dave Spencer at ringside

Unbeaten super middleweight Lucian Bute dominated James Obede Toney, stopping the Ghanaian fighter for the first time with a TKO victory at 2:44 of the eighth round Friday night at the Bell Centre in Montreal. Bute who was relentless all night scored with an overhand left and didn't let up as he hammered away, forcing referee Mike Griffin to jump in and stop the action. There was complaint from Toney or his corner of the stoppage. Toney was definitely staggered once the Romanian southpaw was finally pulled off him, swaying to his left. Bute retains his NABF, NABA, and WBC Continental Americas titles and moves to 18-0 with 16 knockouts.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Super Middles are being busy bees so far this weekend!!!

I seen Andrade fight a couple of times and have been impressed. I would like to see more Bute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    I seen Andrade fight a couple of times and have been impressed. I would like to see more Bute
    Same here. Never seen Bute...Andrade only once.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm surprised noone drafted Andrade yet, at any rate I think he may have the tool kit to take over the division (exception Calzaghe) I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Lacy either.........
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    I'm surprised noone drafted Andrade yet, at any rate I think he may have the tool kit to take over the division (exception Calzaghe) I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Lacy either.........
    I think he takes Calzaghe too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    I think he takes Calzaghe too.
    I have doubts about Andrade being able to mix it with the very best.

!½ years ago (Feb-mar 2005) he sparred Kessler in California. Here's a piece from (i believe) a local boxing reporter on the sessions (mostly about Kessler who at the time was largely unknown).

Report & Photos by Will "The Thrill" Trillo

After this past weekend the name that may come to mind first when the subject of Super Middleweights is debated is IBF Champ Jeff Lacy. If you surf the web you may think that WBO Champ Joe Calzaghe (38-0; 30KOs) and interim champ Mario Veit (45-1; 23KOs) are the talk at 168 pounds. Yet the one name that may slip through the cracks is Denmarks Mikkel Kessler. He is the WBA Super Middle Champ if you are asking. He is 35-0 with 27 KO's with 17 of those Knockouts coming in 3 rounds or less. He is 26 years old and he stands 6'1".

Enough for the formal introduction, recently Kessler came to Southern California, more specifically La Habra, to get in some sparring with some quality fighters at his weight, and he found them in the Orange County town as Julio Gonzalez, Librado Andrade and his brother Enrique all make the gym in La Habra their home stable.

In all honesty, my first thoughts were, "Ah, another European Champ, I am sure he will regret coming into this gym!" After the first couple of rounds I realized I couldn't have been more incorrect in my thinking. As he sparred with all three, I saw an elusive target with a nice stiff jab, good movement and plenty of power! That is not what I expected, it came as a bit of a surprise to all 3 fighters as well, who all agreed that Mikkel is a Champ to be reckoned with in the Super Middle Division.
    What also came as a pleasant surprise was that Kessler speaks perfect English, needless to say we didn't let the chance to talk to the WBA Champ go by.
    This part was followed by a Q&A with Kessler which i left out.

Now appart from this article there were some rumours from ppl who had supposedly witnessed the sparring, that the article had actually been very kind to Andrade. That in fact he'd been in all sorts of trouble with Kessler.

I know it's just rumours and that you shouldn't pay too much attention to what happens in sparring. But i don't really see Andrade being the next big thing as long as Calzaghe and Kessler are around.

I also think Bute is probably the bigger talent of the two. Given a year or two he'll be a far bigger threat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    The Super Middles are being busy bees so far this weekend!!!

#1 Andrade destroys Grant!

http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2...EleUPgpNK.html

WBC #1 rated super middleweight Librado Andrade (24-0, 18 KOs) made short work of Richard "The Alien" Grant (18-14-1, 4 KOs) on Friday night at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. A barrage of unanswered punches put "The Alien" on the deck where he was counted out by referee John O'Brien at 2:49. Andrade, the mandatory challenger for WBC champion Marcus Beyer, stepped aside to allow Beyer to accept the October 14 superfight against WBA champ Mikkel Kessler. He has been promised the winner.

Bute tames Toney!
    http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2...pjRnNOhul.html
    By Dave Spencer at ringside

Unbeaten super middleweight Lucian Bute dominated James Obede Toney, stopping the Ghanaian fighter for the first time with a TKO victory at 2:44 of the eighth round Friday night at the Bell Centre in Montreal. Bute who was relentless all night scored with an overhand left and didn't let up as he hammered away, forcing referee Mike Griffin to jump in and stop the action. There was complaint from Toney or his corner of the stoppage. Toney was definitely staggered once the Romanian southpaw was finally pulled off him, swaying to his left. Bute retains his NABF, NABA, and WBC Continental Americas titles and moves to 18-0 with 16 knockouts.

Didn’t this Richard Grant went 12 rounds with ”brutal” Jeff Lacy?

Thread Information