Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default your views?

right so a few months ago i would mainly train really hard and sparr a fair bit on either a tues or a weds and always on a friday with maybe some wieghts or bagwork in the week and some step machine while watchin a boxing dvd every other night!!
    but over the last two months or so i started training and helping out with the training in this new gym which my mates mum is the manager of,
    and im not sure if its a bad habit, but ive changed my fighting style a bit since i sparr a fair bit at this new gym and alot of the lads arent as good as me and i try work em hard by teasin em and i have been keeping my left arm low and popping jabs at em... and rolling my shoulder and leaning away from right hands for defense and ive not been caught with a big shot yet.. which suprises me...
    but also i find that having my arm low and having it loose improves my jab, and my left arm is more relaxed so my shots improve in power and technique slightly and plus im always leaning while my arm is low so i'll come i at angles and lean away from punches and come back with right hands...
    so im pretty impressed with this style i been using!
    but what do ya'll think is it a bad idea with regards to my guard and what are your veiws etc?
    peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: your views?

try on some lads who are better than 'not as good as me' and get back to me :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB
    try on some lads who are better than 'not as good as me' and get back to me :P
    lol will do :P
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats not a bad style if you got fast feet and supple well stretched flexable legs that can get you out of a jam fast, while your leaning.

You may have to pull that lead leg all the way back behind your rear leg and throw your arms up into your natural guard to escape whats comming from some others who have been taughnted by that before.

I remember studing RJJ doing that type of stuff but having his reverse leg forwards and hanging square over it so he could either turn in with a shoulder and attack with power right on the other guys reaction, or switch back and pop out on an angle into his safer natural stance if it went a bit wrong which out distanced them enough if they came forwards hunting if he ever missed with no 1 . (guttsy stuff).
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it's normal to have more pop on your jab when you let your hand hang low. and it looks great. but until you're RJJ or Ali you're asking for trouble.

the jab is a set-up punch, but most guys feel they can't break glass with it so they look to increase it's power by, of all things, letting the hand down to increase your leverage. But they also fail to throw multiple jabs. They look for the 1-2. No...... go, 1,1,1,1 2!!!

Jab often. Keep it ins his face. You'll land way more right hands by keeping him off his game by throwing your jab in bunches and often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash
    it's normal to have more pop on your jab when you let your hand hang low. and it looks great. but until you're RJJ or Ali you're asking for trouble.

the jab is a set-up punch, but most guys feel they can't break glass with it so they look to increase it's power by, of all things, letting the hand down to increase your leverage. But they also fail to throw multiple jabs. They look for the 1-2. No...... go, 1,1,1,1 2!!!

Jab often. Keep it ins his face. You'll land way more right hands by keeping him off his game by throwing your jab in bunches and often.
    lol see this was why i wanted to dicuss my style with the lads u see...
    my style comes from studying and copying and mixing styles and such from my favourite fighters..
    and also using the styles to my gain whilst sparring...
    my left hand isnt by my hip it swings by my rib cage in a way.. much like roy jones... this relaxes my arm by not keeping it high and the power and snap in my jab gains from this.. also i was always told whether you plan on throwing or not never keep your hands still else your oppenent will know your not throwing and make you fight his fight eventually .. so i keep it swinging... protecting my rib cage whilst coming up to my head from time to time.... my jab isnt powerfull.. but i throw 2 or 3 or 4 at a time to make the other lads work a little harder this keeps them off theyr rytham and keeps them pot shotting jabs so i look carefully for left shoulder movement and slip and counter... or lean back and counter right hand... and i know even though there is alot of gains from this ... the risk of getting caught hard is pretty high!!.
    my movement is fairly good leaning back and forth.. my upper body and head movement has something to be desired... but i usually make up for that by pacing and moving left right or round the ring with my feet more then my body.. much like the golden boy... although i feel i would rather get my upper body movement going more because having moved away and come back on the attack most of the time i have to somewhat start all over again!
    also i dont mind getting tagged so i fully commit to my punches all the time and i have my left leg further in front of me then usual to use smal steps in a shorten the distance between me and an opponent sometimes i get to close and get tagged but 8/10 times they barely notice my subtle movements with the front foot and this is how i get hooks and body shots in....
    i got a fair bit of sparring on tomorow so i'll let you guys know how it goes!!
    peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont know as much as others here but I would say that since with this new style you have only sparred people not as good as you, you will never know how well the new style works till you get in a couple of sparring sesions with people better than you. The way you are describing how you hold you left sounds a lot like the way Jermain Taylor has his. If you really like the new style then make a point of getting in with other boxers that you know are better than you and see how it works against them. Good luck with it.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TyBuff
    I dont know as much as others here but I would say that since with this new style you have only sparred people not as good as you, you will never know how well the new style works till you get in a couple of sparring sesions with people better than you. The way you are describing how you hold you left sounds a lot like the way Jermain Taylor has his. If you really like the new style then make a point of getting in with other boxers that you know are better than you and see how it works against them. Good luck with it.
    cheers bro..
    yeh i figure ima go wild tomoro n make some guys sweat... see if i can get myself bashed up :P
    see if it works at a bit of a scrappy pace n decide what to change etc..
    peace bro
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by body head banger
    Quote Originally Posted by TyBuff
    cheers bro..
    yeh i figure ima go wild tomoro n make some guys sweat... see if i can get myself bashed up :P
    see if it works at a bit of a scrappy pace n decide what to change etc..
    peace bro
    Good luck hope it works out like you want it to.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good Luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ahah so the news is back from big bad kev from lincoln's gym!!!
    lol yeh having my arm low isnt a good idea when trading pot shots!!
    but its hella sweet on the inside!! if theres one lad at the gym thats better then me... (lots are equal...)
    but if theres one better then me its my mate craig.. sparring with him is a test of whit rather then who hits harder :P
    so yeh when sparring on the outside n stuff its ok cos my chin is nice and covered and stuff bbut kept getting tagged on the temple and caught on the corner of my eye!! and when im quick enough to roll my shoulder or stick my elbow out to catch a shot its leaving my rib cage wide open for a right hand to the body... and plus we must have been sparring none stop bout 8 minutes so second half i was bobbing and weaving my way inside hooks to the boody lean come back with a hook or an uppercut to the head and attacking with angles... i was pretty safe with my hand low then and it was attracting attention for him to shoot right hands that i knew wwere coming and i'd slip or weave and counter hook....
    only problem on the inside it defeats the object of loosening my arm to gain power and technique in my jab so i think im goner mix it up a little and have to go back textbook when the going gets tough..
    but it had great results against some.. cos i'd stick my chin out and get the shyer lads confident enough to fully commit to theyr punches and it gives me chance to make em miss n pay!...
    so conclusion is ..
    in sparring... im goner pick who to , and who not to use this with...
    and when i fight..... never.... not a great idea unless i perfect it , but not until then!! lol
    so now thats finished for the moment untill a nother week or two....
    disscussions about anyone elses styles?
    how do you box?
    peace and thanks for the help ima hand me out some random cc's!!
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im not sure how i box against someone who actually wants to box me and work on skill instead of just trying to rip my head of and havent sparred around with anyone since i started training correctly from the help Of Most Of The Forum Users And Good Ol Lords Gym

So When I FInally Get A Sparring Match Ill Let You Know And Will Have A Video For You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerjl
    im not sure how i box against someone who actually wants to box me and work on skill instead of just trying to rip my head of and havent sparred around with anyone since i started training correctly from the help Of Most Of The Forum Users And Good Ol Lords Gym

So When I FInally Get A Sparring Match Ill Let You Know And Will Have A Video For You
    thats cool bro my only advice to you is dont worry about looking good and too many tactics....
    just protect yourself at all times and commit to your punches and dont be afraid!!
    peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks i Awarded You WIth A Nice Shiny CC

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)