Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lets have look at tyson opponents records when he was champ in 80s + 90s

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default lets have look at tyson opponents records when he was champ in 80s + 90s

i wana see his opponents records and see if he really fought in weak era

TERVOR BERBICK 32-4-1
    BONECRUSHER  19-5-0
    PINKLON THOMAS  29-1-1
    TONY TUCKER  35-0-0
    TYRELL BIGGS 15-0-0
    LARRY HOLMES  48-2-0
    TONY TUBBS  24-1-0
    MICHAEL SPINKS  31-0-0
    FRANK BRUNO  32-2-0
    CARL WILLIAMS  22-2-0
    BUSTER DOUGLAS  29-4-1
    HENRY TILLMAN  20-4-0
    ALEX STEWART 26-1-0
    RAZOR RUDDOCK  24-1-1
    PETER MCNEELY  36-1-0
    BUSTER MATHIS JR  20-0-0
    BRUCE SLEDON  33-3-0     
    HOLYFIELD  32-3-0
    BOTHA  39-1-0
    ORLIN NORRIS  50-5-0

OVERALL IM QUITE IMPRESSED WITH RECORDS I DONT THINK IT WAS THAT WEAK OF ERA I KNOW HE DIDNT FIGHT ALL THE BEST BUT THERE NOT BAD QUALITY OPPONENTS EITHER

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: lets have look at tyson opponents records when he was champ in 80s + 90s

You can only tell so much from wins and losses, I agree to an extend... Tyson's Era (80s to mid 90s) are way above todays.

ICB Guest

Default Re: lets have look at tyson opponents records when he was champ in 80s + 90s

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB
    You can only tell so much from wins and losses, I agree to an extend... Tyson's Era (80s to mid 90s) are way above todays.
    agreed im not tyson fan by any means i just dont think he fought in that weak of era like some peeps say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree with some points by both of you, but looking at a fighters record is different from actually getting in and seeing who it was they beat, and were beaten by. Ultimately, a fighter is only judged on what he did against the good fighters he faced. I don't think Tyson's era was as bad as the current heavyweight division, but I also don't think it was that much better.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Samson3000
    Agree with some points by both of you, but looking at a fighters record is different from actually getting in and seeing who it was they beat, and were beaten by. Ultimately, a fighter is only judged on what he did against the good fighters he faced. I don't think Tyson's era was as bad as the current heavyweight division, but I also don't think it was that much better.
    good point ill have look who they beat and ill copy and paste it give me a second

ICB Guest

TERVOR BERBICK 32-4-1  beat big john tate went 15 rounds with larry holmes beat old ali beat greg page beat david bey and pinklon thomas
    BONECRUSHER  19-5-0  gave larry 12 tough rounds  koed frank bruno beat mike weaver and david bey and koed witherspoon in 1
    PINKLON THOMAS  29-1-1  beat witherspoon mike weaver losT close decision to berbick
    TONY TUCKER  35-0-0  beat jimmy young buster douglas james broad
    TYRELL BIGGS 15-0-0  beat snipes  james tillis  david bey
    LARRY HOLMES  48-2-0  i know he was past it  but holmes was still decent i dont need tell u about the great larry holmes
    TONY TUBBS  24-1-0  beat bonecrusher greg page lost razor thin decision to witherspoon
    MICHAEL SPINKS  31-0-0 beat larry holmes twice even though 2nd one was robbery and he beat gerry cooney
    FRANK BRUNO  32-2-0 beat gerrie coetzee in 1st round lost unluckily to bonecrusher same with witherspoon  after doing so well beat tillis and joe buger
    CARL WILLIAMS  22-2-0 beat james tillis lost razor thin decision to larry holmes beat mike weaver bert cooper trevor berbick
    BUSTER DOUGLAS  29-4-1 lost tucker after being ahead on scorecards beat greg page beat tex cobb berbick oliver mccall
    HENRY TILLMAN  20-4-0 no one really
    ALEX STEWART 26-1-0 went 8 tough rounds with evander holyfield
    RAZOR RUDDOCK  24-1-1 beat mike dokes and bonecrusher
    PETER MCNEELY  36-1-0 no one he fought BUMS
    BUSTER MATHIS JR  20-0-0 beat carl williams
    BRUCE SLEDON  33-3-0  beat greg page and tony tucker
    HOLYFIELD  32-3-0 beat bert cooper 3 hard fights with riddick bowe beat old foreman beat buster douglas beat mike dokes
    BOTHA  39-1-0   beat axel shulz  12 hard rounds with michael moorer
    ORLIN NORRIS  50-5-0 beat mccall lost sd to tony tucker beat tucker in rematch sd

THATS ALL I COULD FIND BASICALLY

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I also don't think it was that much better.
    Get real, the fighters 20 years ago were fitter and could fight with skill, they still had proper trainers back then teaching proper skills

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross
    I also don't think it was that much better.
    Get real, the fighters 20 years ago were fitter and could fight with skill, they still had proper trainers back then teaching proper skills
    Toney, Wlad, and Byrd would all beat any of Tyson's opponents (with the exception of Tony Tucker).

ICB Guest

toney wouldnt beat holmes neither would chinny byrd or chinny wlad ruddock would ko the chinny wlad and byrd and he would beat fatty toney prime holyfield would beat all 3 of them i tell u what carl williams wernt bad boxer either he just suffered with weak chin spinks would give toney and byrd hell i think he would get koed by wlad though in shape and focused douglas would beat them 3 aswell tubbs had good jab and was good boxer he gave prime bowe fits almost won decision he would beat fatty toney and beat byrd dunno about wlad

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Youve used the best example of how poor todays heavys are, Toney !!!

Yes Toney makes todays heavys look silly, the reason he makes them look silly is because hes an old ex middle.

His opponents in lower weights werent so poor against him because they could fight, they werent just reliant on their power.

Toney would have struggled with Mikes opponents back then, they werent plodders

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ross
    Youve used the best example of how poor todays heavys are, Toney !!!

Yes Toney makes todays heavys look silly, the reason he makes them look silly is because hes an old ex middle.

His opponents in lower weights werent so poor against him because they could fight, they werent just reliant on their power.

Toney would have struggled with Mikes opponents back then, they werent plodders
    exactly toney was good middle +super middleweight but at hw to me he just looks like fat blob and i think most of tysons opponents then would beat all 3 of them with exception of tillman mcneely of course and ect lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Old Holmes ain't beating none of the three. No one's disputing he would have taken them in his prime, but as we all know that fighter was not in the ring with Tyson, and Toney would have his way with him. The problem as I see it is most people are under the false impression that Michael Spinks was the best fighter Tyson beat, when in fact it was Tony Tucker. Ruddock would get murdered by Wlad just as he did against Tommy Morrison. Douglas in shape and focused still had to get up off his butt to beat the most untrained Tyson in history, he doesn't beat any of the three either.

ICB Guest

well considering old holmes won 5 rounds against prime holyfield and beat ray mercer id say hes got shot at beating fatty toney and the chinless wonders ruddock was past it when he fought morrison ruddock would beat fat toney and he has got shot landing big bomb on the chinless wonders tyson was still decent against douglas. douglas was good fighter and would beat fat toney im sure of that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    well considering old holmes won 5 rounds against prime holyfield and beat ray mercer id say hes got shot at beating fatty toney and the chinless wonders ruddock was past it when he fought morrison ruddock would beat fat toney and he has got shot landing big bomb on the chinless wonders tyson was still decent against douglas. douglas was good fighter and would beat fat toney im sure of that
    Of course every fighter has a 'shot' at landing a big bomb, but that's alittle different than what actually ends up happening. As confident as you are at Douglas beating Toney is as confident as I am that he would lose.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Good post, cool clicked.

Anyone with any sense knows that Wlad would fall to any heavy with heart not just skill but yesteryears fighters had both

Thread Information