Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Hernandez-Kelley collide tonight!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hernandez-Kelley collide tonight!

http://fightnews.com/

Hernandez-Kelley collide tonight!
    "Famoso," "Flushing Flash" meet in must-win fight for both
    Carlos 'Famoso' Hernandez and Kevin 'Flushing Flash' Kelley are in a 'must win' fight on Top Rank's 'Return to Alamo City' fight card at the Municipal Auditorium tonight. "At this point of my career, I must win a fight like this," said Hernandez after the weigh-in today. "The same goes for Kevin Kelley. It's a honor to fight a champion like him and the winner of this fight will be the one with the most fire in his heart....It's going to be a classic fight - the boxer against the slugger. Kelley could always punch and I expect to see a lot of that on Thursday night." Kelley stated, "Carlos Hernandez is talented, a former world champion and has a lot of ability. I am expecting a tremendous fight, a real barnburner."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hernandez vs. Kelley will headline Top Rank's first live card on the VERSUS Network which is cabled into 70 million homes. The start time will be approximately 9:00 pm eastern. The live boxing telecast will immediately follow the TCU vs. BYU football game on VERSUS. Hernandez, the former IBF world super featherweight champion, has a record of 42-6-1. Born in El Salvador, he now lives and trains in West Covina, Calif. He is here with his chief trainer, Rudy Hernandez. Kelley, 58-7-2, is the former WBC and WBU world featherweight champion. He has fought 10 world champions. Kelley is trained by Don House of Las Vegas. In the opening bout, highly-touted bantamweight Raul Martinez, 15-0, of San Antonio goes into his toughest pro fight. He faces Ilio Julio, 35-8-1, of Turbo, Colombia in a scheduled 10-round bout. Tickets are $100 VIP, $40, $25 and are available at ticketmaster.com First bell will be 7 pm local time.
    Thursday, September 28 2006
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

This should be a good tearup ! I will be at ringside sitting by James Leija. anyone coming to the fight ?? Tecate is on me !

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hernandez-Kelley collide tonight!

Yeah should be good. Lookin forward to it tommorrow(thursday) night. Hernandez has more left than Kelley no doubt, and while Kelley was KO'd by Bobby Pac man last time, Hernandez beat Bobby's butt and got robbed in the decision, so I gotta go Hernandez by TKO.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    Yeah should be good. Lookin forward to it tommorrow(thursday) night. Hernandez has more left than Kelley no doubt, and while Kelley was KO'd by Bobby Pac man last time, Hernandez beat Bobby's butt and got robbed in the decision, so I gotta go Hernandez by TKO.
    I also agree on this one. kelley should have given up when he got batterd by bobby! hernandez imo should go looking for bobby!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kelly really shouldn't be fighting anymore, commissions should watch out for him and guys like Courtney Burton.

Seems pretty easy to call, although if there's any good news for Kelly its that Famoso's never been much of a puncher but even so he'll probably end up stopping Kelly mid to late on accumulation and the fact that Kelly's just shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hernandez lost to Kelley? WTF?!?!?!
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Hernandez lost to Kelley? WTF?!?!?!
    weird this was he robbed or just plainley outboxed i still cant see kelley doing anything more even if he did win

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well this is what www.fightnews.com had to say:

Kelley defeats Hernandez!
    By Byron Spurlock at ringside
    In a lightweight crossroads battle between former world champions, 39-year-old Kevin Kelley (59-7-2, 39 KOs) turned back the clock Thursday night winning a hard fought unanimous decision over IBF #6, WBC #11 jr lightweight Carlos "Famoso" Hernandez (42-7-1, 24 KOs) at the Municipal Auditorium in San Antonio, Texas. After a close first three rounds, Kelley dropped Hernandez hard with a crushing southpaw right hook in round four. The 35-year-old Hernandez was able to survive Kelley's follow up attack and had a pretty good round five, but Kelley seemed fresher as the bout progressed. The fighters continued to battle at close quarters and the tiring Hernandez was cut over the right eye by an accidental head clash in round seven. Kelley's versatility allowed him to outbox Hernandez the rest of the way. "Famoso" almost completely eschewed the jab in the fight, just wading in only to be picked apart by "the Flushing Flash." This was Kelley's best performance in years. Scores were 95-94, 97-92, 96-93.

Well, from this report it certainly seems that Kelley did actually get the best of it, which is a big surprise. Beforehand, I thought Hernandez held all the cards, but it seems Kelley came up with a flashy ace flush to stump him. If indeed it was Kelley's best performance in years, I hope it doesn't encourage him to step in with more fighters who are now much better than him as he did with Bobby Pacquiao. Fair play to him though, he must be chuffed with himself.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight was like Mosley-Vargas IMO, 2 guys on their way wanting one last shot at glory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All you guys talking down on Kelly and talking trash,
    and he beat the hell outta Hernandez! hahaha

Well, Hernandez has been in so many WARS that he can RETIRE a
    happy man. Always knew it would be soon that he wouldn't have enough.
    He had so much heart. A very special fighter. Salvadorians should be proud of him.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very surprised... really. Also I worry that this will just force Kelly into a big fight again that he can't win... At the same time though, he could be an excellent gate keeper.. He just can't overmatch himself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heard Kelly decked Hernandez pretty hard and Famoso never truly recovered
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kevin looked pretty sharp for 39 year old lightweight.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, Kelley schooled him. I was very surprised. I feel sorry for poor Hernandez, he got robbed against Bobby Pacquaio, and was in a lot of good wars. Sad is career is over, but it is time to hang them up, he's got nothing to be ashamed of. As for Kevin, this was by far his biggest win in over 5 years! Apparently he is seeking one more big payday, and hopefully he will get it. Kelley vs Jesus Chavez could be a good fight for Kevin, and maybe even a winnable one.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    Yeah, Kelley schooled him. I was very surprised. I feel sorry for poor Hernandez, he got robbed against Bobby Pacquaio, and was in a lot of good wars. Sad is career is over, but it is time to hang them up, he's got nothing to be ashamed of. As for Kevin, this was by far his biggest win in over 5 years! Apparently he is seeking one more big payday, and hopefully he will get it. Kelley vs Jesus Chavez could be a good fight for Kevin, and maybe even a winnable one.
    Whoever won that fight, that was always going to be the end result. One should hang up his gloves and the other should have one last shot at glory. Like Rocky 6 or summat. I expected it to go Hernandez's way, but Kelley showed he got some grit in him and came back to take it.

Thread Information