Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joel Julio faces Rivera Friday

http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2...uXjPhAOYy.html

Boxeo TELEMUNDO will present a "Special Edition" on Friday from the Miccosukee Resort and Gaming in Miami, Florida. In the main event, welterweight contender Joel Julio (27-1, 24 KOs) returns after his first career loss (vs Carlos Quintana in 100-degree heat), to face former world title challenger Cosme Rivera in a bout scheduled for 12 rounds. Julio is now ranked #5 WBA, #10 WBC and #11 WBO, and is trying to get back to the top of the division. Rivera, who currently holds both the WBO Latin and WBA FEDECENTRO belts, has a record of 30-9-2 with 21 KOs. He is coming off good wins against Gilberto Reyes and Felix Flores. The bout is being billed as "The Hard Way Back to the Top."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also scheduled is WBO Latin champion Cecilio "Boga" Santos against Alex "Ali" Baba in a very interesting match up for the IBA world bantamweight title. In all, there will be eight bouts. Tickets are on sale at 1-800-746-2200 and all Ticketmaster locations. The show's promoters are All Star Boxing, Inc. "The New Generation" & Tuto Zabala, Jr with the Julio-Rivera bout is being co-promoted by Main Events. Telemundo will televise the main event live at 11:30PM.

I was dissappointed in the manner he lost to Quintana but Quintana is very skilled so I still believe Julio can be a force at 147,he needs to work on other things too rather than just relying on his power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joel Julio faces Rivera Friday

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2...uXjPhAOYy.html

Boxeo TELEMUNDO will present a "Special Edition" on Friday from the Miccosukee Resort and Gaming in Miami, Florida. In the main event, welterweight contender Joel Julio (27-1, 24 KOs) returns after his first career loss (vs Carlos Quintana in 100-degree heat), to face former world title challenger Cosme Rivera in a bout scheduled for 12 rounds. Julio is now ranked #5 WBA, #10 WBC and #11 WBO, and is trying to get back to the top of the division. Rivera, who currently holds both the WBO Latin and WBA FEDECENTRO belts, has a record of 30-9-2 with 21 KOs. He is coming off good wins against Gilberto Reyes and Felix Flores. The bout is being billed as "The Hard Way Back to the Top."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also scheduled is WBO Latin champion Cecilio "Boga" Santos against Alex "Ali" Baba in a very interesting match up for the IBA world bantamweight title. In all, there will be eight bouts. Tickets are on sale at 1-800-746-2200 and all Ticketmaster locations. The show's promoters are All Star Boxing, Inc. "The New Generation" & Tuto Zabala, Jr with the Julio-Rivera bout is being co-promoted by Main Events. Telemundo will televise the main event live at 11:30PM.

I was dissappointed in the manner he lost to Quintana but Quintana is very skilled so I still believe Julio can be a force at 147,he needs to work on other things too rather than just relying on his power.
    i havnt seen the guy yet but i heard a few good things about him.. im half way thru downloading his fight with vilches so i'll let you know what i think...
    theres not enough prospects out there right now.. the more the merrier
    peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc El Gamo, if Joel can learn to box a little more and not rely on his power so much then he will really do some damage. This will be an interesting bout to see if he has learned anything from the Quintana bout or not. Rivera will provide a good test for Julio, its nice to see his managers and promoters are not trying to baby him and putting him in with some good boxers.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC Ty,I agree,Rivera has challenged at world level and is no bum,it should be a good match for Julio to try out new things ie the jab etc. He should have learnt quite a bit from the Quintana fight.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC Ty,I agree,Rivera has challenged at world level and is no bum,it should be a good match for Julio to try out new things ie the jab etc. He should have learnt quite a bit from the Quintana fight.
    Rivera is a club fighter, who's made for Julio. If Julio struggles with him, than it's obvious he's not as good as he was hyped up to be.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Rivera is a club fighter, who's made for Julio. If Julio struggles with him, than it's obvious he's not as good as he was hyped up to be.
    Agree fully with this.. Rivera may have a couple decent wins now or in the past, but all I can think of is when he fought Judah... THe guy is a sitting duck.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

for the news El Gamo.

Unfortunately I was in the front seat of the Julio bandwagon when it derailed last time out but I will tentatively get back up and reclaim my seat if he manages to look impressive this time around.

I think once he's fully matured as a fighter he could go on to do great things.

I still think as a long term prospect he could be a Mayweather beater but he's pretty raw.

A diamond in the rough, but a diamond nonetheless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the news. I'll have to mark it on my calendar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC'c back guys,I agree Bilbo,I think this kid does have the goods,it's wether he can bring them out. I meanhe looked soooooooooooo 1 dimensional against Quintana,I', going to watch that fight again to see how many jabs he threw,where was the bodywork etc. Also,you guys agree that sometimes he does not look in great condition?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC'c back guys,I agree Bilbo,I think this kid does have the goods,it's wether he can bring them out. I meanhe looked soooooooooooo 1 dimensional against Quintana,I', going to watch that fight again to see how many jabs he threw,where was the bodywork etc. Also,you guys agree that sometimes he does not look in great condition?
    If by condition you mean his bodyshape, muscularity etc I'm not sure as practically no South American fighters look great physically. Morales and Barrera for example just look like fuck all zero muscle whatsoever. Julio Ceasar Chavez never looked like much either, nor De La Hoya really.

Only Cotto of all the current S.A fighters I can think of looks physically impressive so I'm not sure you can judge conditioning just by looking at him.

It is possible he wasn't training as hard as he needed to however through a false sense of superiority.

This humbling loss to Qunitana may have taught him a lot......

Thread Information