Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default speed and power

when i punch, i aim to punch for a lot of power, but not so much speed, Because i have got a naturally large frame, and i did quite a lot of weight lifting before i started boxing, i came down with a large amount of power. I was told to keep this power, but i have now noticed i do need to improve my speed. Is there any things i could do that qould not alter my power very much, but would improve my speed. Cheers.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: speed and power

Power is weight multiplied by speed.

mass and Velocity...

You can't loose power by gaining speed. training for specifically a powerfull punch might not help how much you can bench press/curl/what ever (basically your isolated slow twitch strength) but that is not what power is.

All guys you see with big shots have them because of speed... watch a vintage Tyson and look at his hand speed... Look at Roy Jones...

Slower a punch is the more energy is lost going from A to B.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dont know, as you probably know, if you chuck a 'heavier' punch on bags/pads, there generally slower, but if you throw a lighter punch, they are generally faster. Thats why people say they are 'sluggers' they throw slow, but heavy punches. George Foreman hit harder than most people, but wasnt as fast as most of them. Its also a lot to do with fitness i think, i mostly agree with what you said, if you want to chuck your heavy punches with fast punches you need have have very good fitness to keep that up

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with what you're saying about heavy hands, but you can't loose them either.

Something you're born with or with out

What I'm saying is that you can improve your power (different to heavy hands ) and gain speed all at the same time...

I'll go into more details when I get a second, you're right a lot of it is down to fitness. Explosive energy.

You want to be doing Plyometic exercises to develop fast twich muscle fibre and Anaerobic training such as sprinting to improve your ability to make maximum explosive efforts when you punch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On the bags your SUPPOSED to aim to do fast punches. Dont worry about power, worry about technique, then speed, then the power will come with it.
    Honestly, you'll find you aim for speed a lot and the power will build itself up, you aim to do powerful punches all the time and the progression will be slower.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your mind is the control centre.
    You can do anything you tell yourself to do.
    Free flow is the key to speed.
    You know how to punch already.So you dont have to waste any concentrated effort into it;
    Now is the time to forget the thought process of punching totally (because you can) and just place your thought process into returning the fist back to your loaded position as fast as possible.
    Then go onto the next stage which is throwing out again with a second return in blinding speed so that they feel like one movment and go on from there in stages.

Watched a programme the other night that porved that man can strike at 4 times the speed of a serpent!

the speed ratio of the punch was the distance covered in speed ;of a basket ball court in length in under a second.

The snake which has evolved for millions of years into a striking machine was at 8 to 10 feet per second.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Somebodys been watching National Geographic

Mentioned