mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp

World Boxing Association Super Featherweight champion Edwin Valero has decided to make Japan his base and come to live in Tokyo next month, it has been learned.

The 24-year-old Venezuelan is set to defend the title he won in August in a fight at the Ariake Coliseum in Tokyo on Jan. 3.

Since August last year, Valero has been in a contract with international promoter Akihiko Honda's Teiken Gym. He came to Japan with his wife and children on Oct. 5.

"Venezuela is a long way away, which makes it hard to keep in contact with my promoter," Valero said. "Japan is safe and it's good for our children."

Valero left behind an amateur record of 86 wins, including 57 knockouts, and six losses. After turning pro in July 2002, he notched up 18 straight first-round knockout wins.

In September last year, he went up against Hero Bando at the Yokohama Arena with a major cash prize at stake in addition to the ordinary prize. If Valero won in a first-round knockout, he was to be awarded 1 million yen on top of his match payment. If his opponent escaped a first-round knockout, the opponent would be awarded 1 million yen, and the opponent would be awarded a further 1 million yen for winning the fight. Valero won with a first-round knockout.

His streak of first-round knockouts ended in March this year, when he won his 19th fight with a second-round technical knockout. In August, he fought a WBA Super Featherweight title match against Vicente Mosquera and won with a 10th-round technical knockout.

Valero holds the nickname "Dynamite" and is known for his vicious attacks in the ring. He works hard to stay in fighting form, performing about 90 minutes of weight training after two hours in the gym every day.

"In my matches, I focus on winning, but I'm not going for knockouts," he said. He says that hard training naturally leads to knockouts.

Valero says he thinks his punches could hold up in the Welterweight division, three divisions above his current standing, and his goal is to hold the world title in four different weight classes. He said that he hoped fans would be able to enjoy his next fight to defend his title against 23-year-old Mexican Michael Lozada.

In the meantime, Valero wants to get used to living in a foreign country.

"I have to improve my Japanese by then," he said. (Mainichi)

From what I have heard,his technique is not getting better and he looks slopy in sparring too as oposed to how razor sharp he used to look hence making me a big fan. Hopefully this move will be for the best.