Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who must Floyd beat to cement his legacy?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who must Floyd beat to cement his legacy?

In a previous thread, I wrote that I will lose respect and feel cheated by Floyd if he only fights once more. I think that there are at least 3 more fights he needs to be make before he can be considered a top 5 all-time fighter. There are just too many good fights at welter/jr welter to be made for him to walk away and not have people argue that he is running or ducking.

I think he needs to fight Tony just to close the book on the issue. If he won't fight Tony, I'll settle for Cotto. I really like to see him fight both Tony and Cotto. I would like to see him fight Shane and/or Oscar. I wouldn't mind seeing he fight Hatton, though I'm not sure he needs that fight to prove anything if he'll step in with Tony or Cotto.

He's my list. I would be satisfied with Floyd if he would finish his career beating Tony, Cotto, and Shane, in no particular order. If he made those three fights, I would never question him again as a true champion or an all-time great on the level with Leonard, Duran, and Hagler.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who must Floyd beat to cement his legacy?

If he can beat Cotto. Hatton, Margarito, Mosely and DLH, I would settle for that and let him retire
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

El Kabong Guest

Mosley or De la Hoya....those guys are still very good and they are All-Time greats.

If he can't get fights with them beating all three hatton, Cotto, and Margarito would do the job just fine.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beating Margarito would be good for him now, I think he should jump up to 154
    and grab any of those titles that he can.

ODLH - if Oscar goes for it
    Jose Rivera - WBA Champ
    Cory Spinks - IBF Champ
    Sergeii Dzinziruk - WBO Champ

I would even like to see him fight Kassim Ouma, as a welcome to the 154's fight.

For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep

Jose Rivera - WBA Champ
    Cory Spinks - IBF Champ

I would even like to see him fight Kassim Ouma, as a welcome to the 154's fight.

Sorry Killersheep but why does he need to move up weight?? The only fighter there who adds to his legacy is ODLH, Rivera was beaton at 147 by Collazo Spinks was sparked out by Judah, He needs to fight the best and the best is.

1.Oscar Dela Hoya
    2.Shane Mosley
    3.Ricky Hatton
    4.Antonio Margorito
    5.Miguel Cotto.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983
    Quote Originally Posted by killersheep

Jose Rivera - WBA Champ
    Cory Spinks - IBF Champ

Sorry Killersheep but why does he need to move up weight?? The only fighter there who adds to his legacy is ODLH, Rivera was beaton at 147 by Collazo Spinks was sparked out by Judah, He needs to fight the best and the best is.

1.Oscar Dela Hoya
    2.Shane Mosley
    3.Ricky Hatton
    4.Antonio Margorito
    5.Miguel Cotto.

Because his goal was to get titles in 5 divisions before age 30, that was the goal he set out.

If you are talking in terms of best, if he beats, ODLH or Mosley at this point, people will say that they were past-it.
    Ricky Hatton would be a step backwards for him, since he is trying to get titles in higher weight divisions, Ricky's camp has stated that
    they are not ready for Floyd. Margarito, I like Tony, but I certainly would not call him the best of the best. Cotto hasn't even fought at 147 yet,
    and as for 140 see Hatton.

For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To answer the question of this thread...

Oscar and Mosley.
    The only two people that have achieved more than him.

He needs to beat them convincingly.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oscar Delahoya. Doesnt sound like hes gonna get that fight though...so Mosley or Margarito, maybe Hatton although I think he would get killed. Hopefully that super dramatic show of tears at the post presser was just Floyd caught up in the moment and he will fight several more times before going out...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who does he need to beat to cement his legacy ... what a load of bullshit.

All a fighter can do is beat the best out there, then retire. A reputation or legacy only comes after many years of retirement when a fighter's whole career can be objectively viewed as a completed item.

Nobody can write history and influence on what future generations will think, and it is pretty arrogant to think so.

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem is he is too good and too defensive. I know this sounds dumb but think about it. SRR, SRL, Duran, Hearns, Hagler, Muhammad Ali, etc...all had to trade punches and put their heart on the line sometime in their career to get the legacies that they have today. PBF has yet to do so. Because of that, and feel free to bring on the sad clicks, he is not going to be on that level regardless of his immense talent. And for that reason alone his legacy will always be in question by many.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X

All a fighter can do is beat the best out there, then retire. A reputation or legacy only comes after many years of retirement when a fighter's whole career can be objectively viewed as a completed item.

Nobody can write history and influence on what future generations will think, and it is pretty arrogant to think so.

This is the best post that I have ever read from you. Fighter's alway's seem to grow stronger reputations the longer they have been away from the ring, if Floyd walked away now in 5 years every fighter that is at the top of the sport would be compared to him and you would hear many of his haters say "this guy in not better than Floyd was". This guy does not need to do anymore, but beating Cotto, Hatton, and Margarito would be fun to see for the fight fans, I would rather see that then De La Hoya and Mosley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    The problem is he is too good and too defensive. I know this sounds dumb but think about it. SRR, SRL, Duran, Hearns, Hagler, Muhammad Ali, etc...all had to trade punches and put their heart on the line sometime in their career to get the legacies that they have today. PBF has yet to do so. Because of that, and feel free to bring on the sad clicks, he is not going to be on that level regardless of his immense talent. And for that reason alone his legacy will always be in question by many.

So you are saying since he dominated all his competition that will hurt his legacy, you are saying since there wasen't someone to push him to the limit his career was not on the line of the greats. The fact that he can dominate other champions is very impressive to me, I would have loved to see him have a great trilogy with someone but there was no one on his level, he is not a likeable guy but you have to admire his talent, and shuting out the linear champion whether it was exciting or not in incredible too me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A fighter cements his legacy by beating the best out there. So far, Floyd has NOT done that, and if you think Floyd doesn't care about about his legacy, you are sadly mistaken. That, and money, are all he cares about. Fighters care about their legacy all the time - look at Hopkins, Jones, and to some degree, Toney. Why else would Hopkins consider fighting Maskaev? Yes, it is arrogant, but guess what, I'm not sure there is a more arrogant person on the planet than PBF.

If he retires now, the will be to many questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    CC. My point exactly.

And I'll add this. We don't know if there is someone else to push him because he hasn't fought all the people that he should fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SeanE

A fighter cements his legacy by beating the best out there. So far, Floyd has NOT done that, and if you think Floyd doesn't care about about his legacy, you are sadly mistaken. That, and money, are all he cares about. Fighters care about their legacy all the time - look at Hopkins, Jones, and to some degree, Toney. Why else would Hopkins consider fighting Maskaev? Yes, it is arrogant, but guess what, I'm not sure there is a more arrogant person on the planet than PBF.

If he retires now, the will be to many questions.

The same way that you give PBF no credit for beating the linear champion I believe that you would do the same if he beat anyone of the people that you think he needs to beat. There was someone who made a very good post yesterday and listed all the fighters in contention to fight PBF and made the excuses of the fans if he were to beat them. The truth is it's a lose lose situation with people like you, if he would have ducked Baldo and fought Margarito and beat him you would have switched your opinion around, truth be told he could never do anything to satisfy someone such as yourself.

Thread Information