Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ike Ibeabuchi Interview: "The President” Wants To Get Back On The Campaign Tra

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ike Ibeabuchi Interview: "The President” Wants To Get Back On The Campaign Tra

13.11.06 - By Izyaslav “Slava” Koza

: When I first started getting into boxing discussion and following the sport a few years back, I won a VHS tape full of any recorded fights of my choosing the owner could fit on there. At that time, sharing clips was not really all that common, so I was lucky enough to obtain some fights I never watched live.

Without thinking, two of the bouts I selected involved a fighter by the name of Ike Ibeabuchi, who was still quite a hot topic, considering he was no longer active. For those who follow the sport, it’s pretty obvious that the bouts also involved David Tua and Chris Byrd and some very interesting circumstances. Before Wladimir Klitschko recently pulverized Byrd, the only time Chris had ever been stopped was against Ibeabuchi, but what was more intriguing was the manner in which it happened.

In the words of many excited fans, not only did Ibeabuchi stop Byrd, but he was able to land about as hard and decapitating a barrage as any of the billion elites that Byrd had faced in his entire career. Those that have seen the stoppage, will most likely bring it up any time vicious knockouts are discussed.

As far as the Tua fight goes, the reason I selected the bout is that what both men accomplished in terms of punches thrown over 12 rounds, was enough to break any 15 round punch thrown record in the history of boxing. To date that is one of the greatest displays of heavyweight boxing that I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

Now I am not here to discuss Ibeabuchi’s guilt or innocence because I don’t know enough about the case to be committed to a serious opinion. However, the life a boxer has outside the ring is not relevant to the things he accomplishes in it. Ike deserves our respect for the things he has already done for our entertainment, and as you shall see for not wasting, or giving up on life in prison. For that alone, we wish Ike luck and at the very least another chance at freedom because that is what America is all about, anyway.

ESB: First of all, Ike, thank you a great deal for doing this because it means a lot.

Ike Ibeabuchi: You’re welcome. Like I stated before, there is nothing that I will not do for my fans.

ESB: I can’t begin to tell you how hopeful some fans got in June 2005 when there was a chance that you could be paroled. When is your next parole hearing and can fans do anything to help you?

Ike Ibeabuchi: With all due respect, to the date of my last parole hearing, it was August 2004 not June 2005. My next parole hearing is scheduled for August 2007.

I don’t quite know what fans can do to help me. I suppose letters of concern to various state of Nevada officials, on my behalf, wouldn’t hurt (Governor, Secretary of State, Parole Commissioner, etc.). I would welcome any support I can get, even from President Bush. I hear he is a big boxing fan.

ESB: Can you describe your daily routine for us? I know one of the problems must be the inability to do real road-work or any traditional boxing exercises, but can you still do something to stay in shape?

Ike Ibeabuchi: My daily routine begins with prayer and fasting from 6:00 am to 12:00pm, during which time I do a rigorous workout. I will not reveal the specifics of my workout. I do not want the competition getting an early read, if you know what I mean. I do run, but not the traditional roadwork. I'm limited here.

I believe what the fans really want to know, is whether I am in shape. The answer is yes.

I'm in shape to fight right now. My boxing program includes shadow boxing and the study of "Psycho-pugilism". God willing, I shall introduce the world o£ boxing to my new supreme delicacy Psycho-pugilism (The Food of The Warrior Boxing God) upon my eventual return to the ring.

I also study, go to school (college classes), and watch a little soap opera. I watch Law & Order and Jeopardy, almost everyday. By 10:00 pm, I'm in my room for the late evening news. I read mail and e-mails from my fans, and answer them accordingly. My evening is closed with a prayer while lying down in my bed.

ESB: The story of Mike Tyson’s stint in jail was to some degree glamorized and it was suggested the other inmates were afraid of him. Can you tell us how the other inmates respond to you and how you interact with them?

Ike Ibeabuchi: Unlike Mike Tyson, I am housed in the general population with other inmates. Therefore, I have the opportunity to mingle with inmates of different races and cultural backgrounds.

ESB: How does it feel when 1500 inmates call you “The Champ?”

Ike Ibeabuchi: Flattering. But God knows they are right. The justification being my accomplishments since my incarceration. My composure, tenacity, endurance, and overall conduct, worth emulating here in the prison. In short, I set positive examples. I identify all fellow inmates as “bro.” Many of them are even willing to do my time for me, for no cost. They are my turpitude, and I respect them dearly.

ESB: Without a doubt, the most memorable moment of your career to most fans is the devastating punch that basically did in Chris Byrd. Whenever fans ask about you on boxing forums, this is the first video clip they are shown. I am sure you were asked this before but can you please describe that whole moment one more time for us?

Ike Ibeabuchi: It was memorable but not the most. It was memorable because it was episodic. I was fighting circumstances of a façade outside of boxing, when the Chris Byrd fight was made. The most memorable moments were each of my ring entrances, where I displayed my ingenuity, which got better and better each time.

To describe the Chris Byrd fight, is to teach or describe how to catch or kill a fly with your bare hands. Do not try to catch the fly directly, even as it is perched or rests. Always aim at the vacuum of its escape. Most of the time, the vacuum becomes the fly at last when you open your hand.

ESB: Do you have any idea what reasoning Byrd tried to use in arguing with the referee when he got up? Many fans always asked what Byrd was trying to say there.

Ike Ibeabuchi: He didn't believe I was able to do that to him, to out smart him. Of course, he's a "spartan." He is not going to quit until he can't breathe anymore. After all, he did become a world champion.

ESB: The most memorable fight of your career was unquestionably the record breaking bomb fest against David Tua. Even though Tua has been beaten, nobody has ever done what you have against him. In preparation for that fight, did you train for precisely that kind of fight?

Ike Ibeabuchi: You see, it took only two fights to define me for most fans, David Tua and Chris Byrd. Two contrasting styles. Indeed, a symbolic crucifix gesture; that is by the way. Tua was tough, but to beat him, I had to do things only a superman would do. With the help of Curtis Cokes, my trainer, I had to be a genie. A sledgehammer wouldn't have stopped me that night. I was thinking 15 rounds of boxing. 12 rounds was just incomplete. Remember now, in round 12, I started my round one routine again, indicating that I was beginning to do a second lap.

ESB: Do you still follow boxing? If so, can you give a few thoughts on the following fighters (strengths, weaknesses, and How you would fight them)?

Ike Ibeabuchi: I follow boxing.

ESB: Henry Akinwande?

Ike Ibeabuchi: Is he still boxing? I would hold him all night long.

ESB: Shannon Briggs?

Ike Ibeabuchi: I will make sure we are not fighting in New Jersey and then I will be alright.

ESB: Calvin Brock?

Ike Ibeabuchi: When it comes to costing, I am the project, and he is the job order. Point made.

ESB: Wladimir Klitschko?

Ike Ibeabuchi: It takes a longer time to obtain a Ph.D in the English language courses.

ESB: Sergei Lyakhovich?

Ike Ibeabuchi: It takes God and Heartbreaks to be a great finisher.

ESB: Oleg Maskaev?

Ike Ibeabuchi: I’m impressed but you know when the cats are away, the mice will play.

ESB: Samuel Peter?

Ike Ibeabuchi: All my brother needs to do is take his time.

ESB: Hasim Rahman?

Ike Ibeabuchi: It’s time to become a full-fledged politician. He practically knows everything.

ESB: Nikolai Valuev?

Ike Ibeabuchi: I can’t wait to fight a man at least.

ESB: Which of them is the best fighter right now in the division?

Ike Ibeabuchi: Samuel Peter is the best fighter, but he's got to take his time to inflict pain to prove it.

ESB: Which boxers are you friends with?

Ike Ibeabuchi: Do you mean before a fight, or after a fight? No War, NO FRIENDS!

ESB: Who is the best p4p in the world right now?

Ike Ibeabuchi: My "boy," Floyd Maywhether. When I see Floyd, and all his charisma, I say to him, "Thank You.”

ESB: Ike, I know life in Prison is a very difficult thing, so can you tell us what helps you keep your head together, and helps you get through the days?

Ike Ibeabuchi: My life, even in prison, depicts a life that has been lived in the bible many times. I like to see myself as the (Baptist or the Messiah with God 1st), like Daniel in the Lion’s Den, like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the fiery furnace, but never burned, like Jacob who had run from his hairy brother in Dallas. Like Samson who saw wisdom and humility when his eyes were gone, like Moses who ruled scorpions and snakes in the desert, and I could go on and on.

ESB: What do you miss the most about being on the outside?

Ike Ibeabuchi: I miss everything a man in need would.

ESB: How did you get your nickname "The President”?

Ike Ibeabuchi: Alright “now,” with all due respect to the President of anything, and grandiosity apart, I am so way above that name “President,” so condescending. Shelly Mann, of Dallas, can agree with me, too. I’d rather be known by my real name in full "Ikemefula." It is “nine” letters, indeed. A prayer to God for my strength to keep.

ESB: What do you want to say in closing to all your fans and the people reading this interview?

Ike Ibeabuchi: I would like the fans to know that I am an innocent man, and that I am being made a scapegoat for my perspicacity. Many know this. Nevertheless, I am dealing with this unfortunate circumstance to the very best of my ability. I have not stopped fighting and I never will. I was proclaimed the most dangerous man in the ring in 1999.

Now with my academic achievements and life experiences, I feel I have the ability to take huge strides outside the ring as well. Still, I equally share your pains of deprived quality boxing entertainment. With your continued support for justice, perhaps we can reverse the situation and get a rightful and true heavyweight champion back in the ring.

I love you all, and thank you for your untiring continued support in and out of the ring.

ESB: Ike, thank you again for doing this. Do you want your fans to write you and should we make public your email address?

Ike Ibeabuchi: Yes, my fans may write or email me at the following address, or web-site. I look forward to hearing from them.

Email: Ike@Ikeibeabuchi.org, Ike@Ikeibeabuchi.com

Mailing Address:

Ikemefula C. Ibeabuchi 71979

NSP/ PO BOX 607

Carson City, Nevada 89702-0607

United States of America

I want to thank Ike’s mother Patricia for helping out in getting this interview.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=8879&more=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ike Ibeabuchi Interview: "The President” Wants To Get Back On The Campaign Tra

im not trying to be a smart assssss here but cant they put together a fight from prison?? wasnt there like a movie like this?? ummmmmm DIGSTOWN or some shiiiit like that? hollaaaar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ike Ibeabuchi Interview: "The President” Wants To Get Back On The Campaign Tra

Good idea. only its rewarding the inmate.. he is there to serve his time.. to many people would stand in the way of that, for this reason.. However, if they used the funds or the inmates cut of the purse to help finance the prison , why not ? i like it !

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cool
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ike Ibeabuchi Interview: "The President” Wants To Get Back On The Campaign

I thought Ike had some kind of mental disorder...like schizophrenia or something..where he was hearing voices. I wonder if he's on any meds, still having it, or if it was misreported/exaggerated.

Either way, it looks like he's found a lot of spirituality and seems pretty well-spoken and insightful! It's good to hear he's keeping in shape..I remember seeing the pic of him when he was convicted and he had a huge gut on him.

I think it's more wishful thinking of people to think he'd be able to make any kind of significant run in the hw division. Look what prison did to Tyson, and Ike has been locked up much longer than he was. He's lost his prime fighting years and it's impossible to have any real exercise regime or good diet where he is. Still, I'd like to see him find some success and would be interested to see if he has any thing left once he gets out. CC in 24 Lords, good read.

You all think Ibeabuchi has any kind of chance to make a splash in the hw division? A rematch with Tua might be exciting as both guys are past their primes and not in peak condition.

ICB Guest

Default Re: Ike Ibeabuchi Interview: "The President” Wants To Get Back On The Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by dasamm
    I thought Ike had some kind of mental disorder...like schizophrenia or something..where he was hearing voices. I wonder if he's on any meds, still having it, or if it was misreported/exaggerated.

Either way, it looks like he's found a lot of spirituality and seems pretty well-spoken and insightful! It's good to hear he's keeping in shape..I remember seeing the pic of him when he was convicted and he had a huge gut on him.

I think it's more wishful thinking of people to think he'd be able to make any kind of significant run in the hw division. Look what prison did to Tyson, and Ike has been locked up much longer than he was. He's lost his prime fighting years and it's impossible to have any real exercise regime or good diet where he is. Still, I'd like to see him find some success and would be interested to see if he has any thing left once he gets out. CC in 24 Lords, good read.

You all think Ibeabuchi has any kind of chance to make a splash in the hw division? A rematch with Tua might be exciting as both guys are past their primes and not in peak condition.
    if he gets in good condition he good very well be best hw out there but lets wait and see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think a blind man has a chance against this current crop . , but I see the landscape of the division changing soon . with fighters like Chazz Witherspoon, Sam Peter, , David Rodriquez, Eddie Chambers, I think we will see a better work rate out of these guys at least. ! In 2007 look for both Holyfeild and Tua to make a splash in this cesspool called the Heavyweight Division .. after that this next crop of fighters will plant their seed, and hopefully it blooms ,, Remember you need a manure base to get a good a crop.. And we damn sure got that !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still dont understand why he is jail. He "raped" a hooker? Come on! That is just stupid. Anyway how old is he now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 1st rd ko
    I still dont understand why he is jail. He "raped" a hooker? Come on! That is just stupid. Anyway how old is he now?
    she was under age .. lol . and he nearly beat 5 security guards to death on his cocaine fueled rampage,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc lords gym- good article.

I didn't know that he proclaims his innocence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am a massive fan of Ike. Got all of his fights on tape except his first 2.

Here's the thing that everyone keeps on forgetting...Ike is mental & he is facing more charges than just the attempted rape & battery charge in the casino deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    if he gets in good condition he good very well be best hw out there but lets wait and see
    It won't matter. Ike has charges awaiting him in Nigeria. He will be deported immediately after his release from his U.S. charges.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st rd ko
    The charges that he's locked up on in the U.S. are that he attempted to rape & beat an escort. She weren't a hooker. She was just an escort. Ike didn't understand that...he thought...like others do that she was a hooker. He thought that if he rented her...he got to poke her too. Escorts have a choice in the matter. She chose the NO & he said yeppers to it. She protested & Ike went bonkers. She locked herself in the closet. Security was called while Ike was trying to break down the door to get to her. Security entered & ole' Ike kicked the shit outta 3 of 5 & then was apprehended.

He then pleaded nutso.

That being said...he's truly out there...for real.

The deportation charges relate back to an incident in Nigeria where he attempted suicied with his girlfriend's son in the car. Ike floored it & rammed the car into a bridge support of a freeway overpass. Totalled the car & nearly the child too. Apparently the kid's scarred for life & Ike left Nigeria & headed stateside in the midst of all this. Shortly after that...he beat down the corrections officer during his trial proceedings over that matter.

His promoter...can't be sure who it was...think that it was Cedric Kushner...either way...he paid him out temporarily so that he could keep his visa or passport or whatever...for another fight. Details are way off in left feild on that one for me...but charges still haunt him back home.

Let's face it people...Ike's fucked.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

El Kabong Guest

....I hate Ike, he's overrated as hell and locked up and 4000 pounds and he's STILL talking shit!!!!

Go to hell Ike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    ....I hate Ike, he's overrated as hell and locked up and 4000 pounds and he's STILL talking S***!!!!

Go to hell Ike
    I'm sure he really gives a shit Mr. America.

Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Thread Information